Why are so many women SCARED of weights? LMAO.

Options

Replies

• victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of women are more obsessed over the scale than they are of their BF %.. which I was too before I became more aware and educated.

I'm not sure about that. Most women are aware of their body fat percentage b/c it is given to them when they join.

Mine is 18% and I don't lift heavy. I love my muscle tone the way it is.

Just saying that some women have different fitness goals is all.

I agree with you.. I was just thinking of some of my friends/family.. They are constantly running and doing zumba and theyre "skinny fat" when they could be lifting and building lean muscle and being happy with their body
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I am not scared of them and do lift lighter but I have had a neck injury that is aggravated sometimes by the least twisting and it will bother me for a month if I do too much so I know to watch it because I have overdone it and hurt myself in the past. We have a good number at my gym that use weights.
  • Jory2pointOh
    Options
    Why is it funny? I think like anything else it's just a matter of preference. I find it best to focus on myself and not worry about what others in a gym (who are there to better themselves) are doing. :)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Can you help me figure something out? I did strength training this morning and logged type, sets, reps and how much in my exercise diary but it's still showing -0 under exercies on my home page. How do I get this to show up?

Enter it under strength training in the cardio section. You'll have to still enter under strength too if you want to keep a log of what you did.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Just curious…

At my gym I’m usually the only woman on the floor w/ weights, I’m the only one uses the Smith machine etc. All of the women are in classes (Zumba, Pilates…more Zumba). Guys are NEVER in classes (with the exception of the 2 or 3 that may go to the spin class). I don’t understand why classes (and the cardio machines) are always overflowing with women but it’s so rare to see one with a dumbbell.

Please explain.

As someone who is currently tackling that very fear, I would say because with the exception of about three things...I don't know how it works. I know the leg press, and the pulley machine and everything else scares the crap out of me. I JUST as in last night approached someone who worked there about getting help if I wanted to know how to use something.

For me, it’s a matter of intruding on someone else's space and/or time.

Since I don't know how to propperly use it, I stay away rather than ask. It the fear of the unknown.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

Because women have been told, from birth that they are weak. Add to that the fitness industry gives women terrible advice about low weight/high rep. Plus you have women who fear bulking up. No matter what they are told, they'll believe they'll turn into She Hulk.

Maybe some women still believe this myth, but I know women (including myself) that wish a smaller physique for themselves. There is nothing wrong with that preference.

Kudos to women who lift heavy. It's not for all though.
    [/quote]

You are *not* going to get "big" from lifting heavy weights. Check out Staci!

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Staci went from 117 on the left to about 130, lifting weights but stayed the same size in clothing.

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-9.29.07-AM.jpg

Then she got even more focused, gained 11 lbs and went from this to this:

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-9.23.11-AM.jpg

Even though she's heavier, she's much smaller, and looks far better in and out of clothes!
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options

Not all women wish to be muscular. They want to have smaller muscles and don't want them to grow. There is nothing wrong with that.

I don't think those 5 or 10lb weights will make anyone muscular per se but building muscle allows you to burn more (hence eat more) - stronger women with muscular definition still look sexy as they age IMHO.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    This deals with individuals being misinformed about weight loss, body composition, ect..... but it also depends on what someone's goals are. I however, love lifting WAY more than cardio but I do enjoy HIIT.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why do you assume they are SCARED of them just because they don't use them at your gym? Even if they are SCARED, why is that funny? (or is it just a good way to reduce the size of your A?)
  • randrews0407
    Options
    I think a lot of women are more obsessed over the scale than they are of their BF %.. which I was too before I became more aware and educated.

BRAVO!!! *applauds*
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of women (myself included at one point) are unsure of where to start or how to use the equipment and worried that they'll look silly if they have to ask for help (I have to admit, this was a big stumbling block for me!).

yeah it is awkward at first.

I make sure to be friendly to new women and show them how to use the machines if they seem like they are struggling.

This would be awesome. There was this woman working her calfs, and lifting this awesome load...and I wanted to go up to her and tell her how bad *kitten* I thought she was, but didn't because I didn't want to be a dork.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Part of it is the taboo that if you touch a free weight you add mass and most women don't want to look like a female bodybuilder or even a figure model in many cases. The education about exercise and diet in this country is rather poor unfortunately.
  • randrews0407
    Options
    I think a lot of women (myself included at one point) are unsure of where to start or how to use the equipment and worried that they'll look silly if they have to ask for help (I have to admit, this was a big stumbling block for me!).

yeah it is awkward at first.

I make sure to be friendly to new women and show them how to use the machines if they seem like they are struggling.

I know initially I stayed away because no women were over there...the free-weight area looks like a GUY ONLY zone.
  • AtlantaWriter
    AtlantaWriter Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've tried to start lifting weights several times before, and didn't follow through,. Here are my reasons: The machines intimidate me, and I know I should hire a trainer to instruct me so I don't injure myself, but a trainer costs over $100 an hour!!! My God, that leaves just about everyone I know out of that financial loop, including me.

Even if I do figure out how to use the machines, I have to stand and wait for the person (or people) in front of me to do their reps. It just makes my workout too long.

I had one trainer tell me I should just use free weights. If that is true, why go to a gym when I can easily use my own free weights at home?

Fitness centers are also expensive.

And finally, I'm older and have joint issues. The last time I did weights, my spine and hips hurt a lot.

So I stick with pool exercise and walking. I know I should do more for my muscles, but the gym just doesn't seem right for me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Because women have been told, from birth that they are weak.

Aww :hugs: I don't know who told you that but it makes me sad.
  • beancurdie
    beancurdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    In my case, the weight side of the gym is just plain intimidating. It's pretty easy to figure out a treadmill or an elliptical without looking like an idiot and stay on it for the 30 minute maximum. With weights, in theory, it's easy. Pick up, put down, but how many sets? How heavy? Am I in the way? Did I break some secret lifting code by grunting? I guess I could just figure it out as I go, but I'd rather throw in a CLX DVD at home.

ETA: Our gym only trains new members on the weight machines. Those don't intimidate me at all, but I don't like the "working the circuit". For free weights, you need to pay a trainer to learn how to use them, and like another posted, it's just not in the budget.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Some women are scared they're going to hurt themselves. Not having a trainer, or any idea what they're doing is daunting.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I love lifting. LOVE it. But if women are afraid of them.. I'm not about to laugh at those women. People do what they want to do. They get there workout in. Who gives an eff how they do do it?
  • randrews0407
    Options
    Why do you assume they are SCARED of them just because they don't use them at your gym? Even if they are SCARED, why is that funny? (or is it just a good way to reduce the size of your A?)

I used the word SCARED and added a LMAO to get people in the thread, shock-jock technique...nothing more, nothing less.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I'm scared...not of being "bulky", even if that was possible...I'd rather be bulky than supa-fat like right now. I'm just very intimidated of it because I don't know what I'm doing and don't want to look like an idiot. Everyone knows how to use a treadmill or elliptical, so I just end up on there. I know I'll start a strength program soon, I just have to get over the mental block.