Why are so many women SCARED of weights? LMAO.

Options

Replies

• Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    In my case, the weight side of the gym is just plain intimidating. It's pretty easy to figure out a treadmill or an elliptical without looking like an idiot and stay on it for the 30 minute maximum. With weights, in theory, it's easy. Pick up, put down, but how many sets? How heavy? Am I in the way? Did I break some secret lifting code by grunting? I guess I could just figure it out as I go, but I'd rather throw in a CLX DVD at home.

ETA: Our gym only trains new members on the weight machines. Those don't intimidate me at all, but I don't like the "working the circuit". For free weights, you need to pay a trainer to learn how to use them, and like another posted, it's just not in the budget.

^^
    THIS
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I am a big lardy lady and am honestly a chicken. I would like to go to the gym with a friend and work hard, I have NO upper body strength AT ALL and years ago when I did go to a small gym with a pal she would nearly wet herself laughing (I took it on the chin) as I struggled with the smallest weights of all. I am planning to get to the point where I am confident in going and I'd love to get toned - I wonder though (and this wont stop me trying) how toned I can actually get when -to be blunt - I am an extremely saggy , baggy example of womanhood....I'm not putting myself down, simply telling it as it is. :D:tongue:
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of women (myself included at one point) are unsure of where to start or how to use the equipment and worried that they'll look silly if they have to ask for help (I have to admit, this was a big stumbling block for me!).
    That's me right now.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Because a lot of women think that "weights" will give them bulky muscles only. They don't know that adding a good amount of lifting, even if it's just light, will give you a healthy, toned look. I mean, if you want muscle, go for it. But strength training isnt JUST bulk!

Also, some women just like to run. Depends on what's their cup of tea. At least they are at the gym and doing something rather then sitting at home complaining and doing nothing about it!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I don't understand where this judgment comes from. 'So many women' scared of weights according to WHOM?

I think a lot of fitness that is geared toward women shows zumba/pilates/spin and therefore women might believe that's more geared toward them. Maybe if the social/media focus pushed more to show women lifting, it would become more mainstream. I don't think they're 'scared' of anything, just not adequately informed of what lifting can do for them.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Why do you assume they are SCARED of them just because they don't use them at your gym? Even if they are SCARED, why is that funny? (or is it just a good way to reduce the size of your A?)

^ and this. I think that's probably more so. I get nervous myself trying to ask someone for help or what I should do.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Judgemental thread is judgemental.

*sigh* I'm so sick of these.
  • ASaxe23
    ASaxe23 Posts: 163
    Options
    I think that weights are scary! They require more info to know what you're doing, there is a higher risk of injury, and that area of the gym tends to be dominated by men.

I happen to lift weights, but I do so in the comfort of my own home with my Select Techs, I love lifting and I've found that since my body type is prone to gain muscle and lose inches more so that lose scale weight, they've also become my savior for weight loss. I can freely admit that while I'm willing to life with Chalean at my home, I probably wouldn't head to the gym and grab weight just based on the intimidation of being surrounded by men.

Lastly....when not lifting i'm that girl in the dance and cardio classes. In exercise you gotta do that you love, and if that's Latin Fusion dance class instead of supersets so be it!
  • Biggoal50
    Biggoal50 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of women (myself included at one point) are unsure of where to start or how to use the equipment and worried that they'll look silly if they have to ask for help (I have to admit, this was a big stumbling block for me!).

^^^^^^^ This is it for me. I don't know how to use the weights and I'm afraid of being teased or yelled at by some stranger.
  • LetsGetFitMama
    Options
    I will only speak for myself, I am 1) embarrassed 2) its awkward 3) I am clueless! I am 80lbs+ over my ideal weight and I would feel awkward walking up to a room full ... FULL of muscle men and grabbing weights because again, I would look so silly! Sure I could probably ask them for assistance, but I am socially awkward and shy so that wont happen any time soon. I am not scare of weights themselves as I want to be healthy and lean, not skinny but for now, I do what I can with the weights I have at home. I kinda wish I had a gal pal who was already in shape and doing weights to assist me, then I would feel better about it.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Because women have been told, from birth that they are weak.

Aww :hugs: I don't know who told you that but it makes me sad.

Society tells women that. Look at any "women's" magazine cover. It says tone and lose. It doesn't say get strong. Then open said magazine and there will be pictures of 2lb pink weights and trainers like tracy anderson who tell women not to lift heavier than 2lbs.She also says one can spot reduce. *sigh*
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    <<< Im not scared anymore BUT I get why some people could be (not just women either) , like everyone has said it can be intimidating (especially if there are a lot of meatheads) and if you dont know form etc you could hurt yourself so that becomes daunting
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Because I have no idea what I'm doing. It's that simple.

Granted, at home I'll "mess around" with what we have but the machines and all that scare me.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Judgemental thread is judgemental.

*sigh* I'm so sick of these.

I'm sick of YOUR FACE!
    *Note to mods: we're friends, it's an inside joke.

To the OP, there are many reasons and laughing at them is a bit insensitive and rude.

Some reasons:
    Insecurities (possibly from judgmental people, know any?)
    Lack of knowledge on the subject.
    Love for cardio. (crazy, I know, but some people DO like cardio. There is nothing wrong with that.)
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I started lifting almost a year ago. My skin is green, I regularly tear out of my shirts, and I'm prone to bouts of intense anger. *nods* :frown:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I don't fear weights but I do fear injury.. I have had major rotator cuff surgery, torn calf muscles, broken foot, broken toes and back issues. So I plan on sticking with weight machines so I have more control while lifting. Ironically, most of those injuries happened because of weight lifting/exercising. Be kind to your joints while you're young so you don't have problems later. I mean don't abuse them, not 'dont use them'.
    I'll also add that I'm 51, had an mri of my back due to the pain issues and the Dr. told me that I have the spine of an 18 year old! I attribute that to being active in my younger year, so keep moving and keep lifting, just do it carefully and don't tear things up!
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I've tried to start lifting weights several times before, and didn't follow through,. Here are my reasons: The machines intimidate me, and I know I should hire a trainer to instruct me so I don't injure myself, but a trainer costs over $100 an hour!!! My God, that leaves just about everyone I know out of that financial loop, including me.

Even if I do figure out how to use the machines, I have to stand and wait for the person (or people) in front of me to do their reps. It just makes my workout too long.

I had one trainer tell me I should just use free weights. If that is true, why go to a gym when I can easily use my own free weights at home?

Fitness centers are also expensive.

And finally, I'm older and have joint issues. The last time I did weights, my spine and hips hurt a lot.

So I stick with pool exercise and walking. I know I should do more for my muscles, but the gym just doesn't seem right for me.

There needs to be more weight-lifing for beginners classes. There are so many classes at my gym come to think of it but they are all centered around cardio...if a person wants to learn proper technique to avoid injury and get the maximum effectiveness it works to the benefit of the gym and those individuals shouldn't be subject to hefty personal trainer fees.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    First of all forget the smith machines, they only limit your movements and you don't make full use of your muscles so you end up unbalanced. Squat racks are far more effective.

About your question, it is because of the never ending myth that weight lifting will turn a woman into a female Arnold Schwarzenegger. To make things worse, fitness magazines and media keep on preaching this false myth. Little did they know that a lot of hot female Hollywood celebrities such as Scarlet Johansson, Jessica Biel, Halle Berry etc. actually got their svelte bodies and awesome curves from lifting weights.

In my case, I squat and lunge a 75kg barbell (165 lbs.) and deadlift a 66kg barbell (150 lbs.) but I'm only a size 0-2 and don't look like those roided bodybuilders you see on fitness magazines, not even close.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Weights terrify me, they're so big and heavy and the weight room is filled with testosterone.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Weights terrify me, they're so big and heavy and the weight room is filled with testosterone.

^ me too. (killer tris, btw, well done!)