HELP FLUSTERED HERE!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am slow this morning or just generally clueless but I am not sure what the actual issue here is: Arby's or your self-control?
  • lawandfitness
    lawandfitness Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    OMG! I am having a hard time with this right now!! At work everyone is going to Arby's and when I go in and check all the calories it is OUTRAGEOUS!! So is this how its going to be, I have to go eat Subway all the time because the calories everywhere else are just to much! HELP I am feeling flustered!!

Everyone has posted great suggestions for you.... but I am going to be blunt..... Flame me if you want!

IF you want t change your life and eat better, do not base it on your co-workers going out to eat. This is simply just an excuse for you to eat out. On top of that you are "flustered" because everything is high in cals... WELL HELLO THERE... that is why it’s called FAST FOOD!!!!

IF you really want to eat something low in cals and fat PACK YOUR OWN LUNCH.... YOU NEED TO DECIDE what means more to you, your health or being social and going out to eat.....

BY NO MEANS am I saying to never go, but if you do, make a healthy choice and make sure your other meals don't put you over. No point in getting "flustered" over not being able to eat Arbys, as it is all about sacrifices and deciding what means more to you... fries or your health.....
  • ItsGoodToHaveGoals
    ItsGoodToHaveGoals Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I got the book from Calorie King and keep it in my purse. When you go somewhere, pull it out and make an appropriate choice. For me it's Chick-Fil-A ; a chargrilled sandwich no sauce and a side salad w/ Italian. I feel great about my choices and it fits in my caloric intake for the day. I'm only running at 1350 calories so if I can make smart choices, you can too :)
    There's tons of restraunts in that book and there will be something you can eat and not feel too bad about. Arby's has choices, it's just whether or not you choose to eat what's healthier for you.
  • lmerner
    lmerner Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Excellent links! Thanks for sharing.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    Weight Loss Sabotaged By Wrong Calorie Counts on Menus

Weight loss can be hard if you don’t know how many calories you take in. A new study suggests that some restaurants offer deceptive menu information.

Research has shown that people make smarter choices when restaurants list the calorie counts on their menu. But what happens if the numbers aren’t accurate?

Researchers at the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University found that roughly 50 percent of the food you get at places such as Wendy’s, Applebee’s, Olive Garden, Denny’s, Dunkin’ Donuts, P F Chang’s, Domino’s, McDonald’s and Taco Bell is more fattening than those places say they are. In the worst cases, some foods had twice the calories stated on the menu. The average dish had 18 percent more calories than advertised.

The same study also took a look at some frozen foods from Weight Watchers and Lean Cuisine – foods that are supposed to be the dieter’s choice. A close examination revealed that some of their offerings contained 8 percent more calories than what was listed.

--- from one of the articles I posted.. since I'm seeing so many "just make it fit into your count" comments.

Half the menu items are WRONG in their calorie count. Some items were double, some were triple. On average, the calorie counts were off by 20%

That means that an 800 calorie sandwich and fries clocked in around 1000, and something that was 500 calories was actually 600 calories.

Yeah the numbers may be a off but relatively speaking you can still use the data to make a choice in the lesser of 2 evils.

Also just because something is listed as Low Fat, Non-Fat, Low Calorie doesn't make it better for you. I encountered this yesterday when having to choose the salad dressing for my salad when I went to a restaurant. While the Original was higher in fat and calories it had a lot less carbs and a lot less sodium. The Low Fat had over 1100mg of sodium and double the sugars/carbs. I would rather use less of the original and than less of the Low Fat. (Or nothing at all...it was eye opening).
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    See if someone will split fries with you. they are bad but OK in small portions or order a small and don't eat them all.
  • Mistila
    Mistila Posts: 38
    Options
    For some of us subway has too many calories too. I just have to eat 3" of my 6" sub. But really I believe with acceptance comes peace with "I can't eat as much as so and so" sure it isn't cool but its life and we are all different! Wish you the best in finding what you can and can not eat.
  • midnight333
    Options
    Thats what my sister in law said is all she would eat! I don't want to have to live life with just subway! My other friend said to try to do stuff Gluten free also.. have you ever heard of that for weight loss?

You can lose weight with gluten free. But you have to go for substitutions like more veggies and high protein meats. You can save calories, by cutting out your bread. I'm gluten free and I can have a regular roast beef at Arby's with no bun and your calories go from 350 with to 140. But if you just try to go GF with the GF pastas and breads, in place of the gluten full stuff, you will gain. They are higher in sugars and calories.

^^This^^
    I went gluten free or at least trying to since the end of August. You can see in my diary I keep notes gluten gives me migraines. Coincidentally we stopped at Arby's on the way home from MN. Since going gluten free I've been loosing at a steady rate and I'm pretty sedentary as you can see in my exercise log. GGo for it! Go bunless I got 2 sandwiches but It filled me up plenty as protein satisfies hunger. I got those fries if you want them and maybe share mozzarella sticks with someone like I did. Okay I only had !/2 but I had a migraine and start of the flu. But you can get an idea of a meal there the date is Aug. 23rd. Good luck on whatever your choice will be.
  • gofurfan9395
    Options
    Thank you for all the nice ideas and links and I will say thank you to those that were blunt as well. I am just starting on this and am not able to work out per my doctor until next week. Yes, I feel FLUSTERED, because I do want to do a good job and because I want to lose weight. I AM LEARNING about how to count calories and LEARNING all the ropes here of have self control, self discepline, self confidence, self worth, and when I make a post/comment I enjoy knowing people have my back as I would have theirs. So when you make a comment keep in mind that I am NOT on the same page as you with your weight loss goal, you are your own person and I am just starting my journey. :grumble:
    But I will send love to all because thats the kind of person I am
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I AM LEARNING about how to count calories and LEARNING all the ropes here of have self control, self discepline, self confidence, self worth,

Self confidence and self worth are the most important things here. You are doing this journey for YOU, and I promise you will feel really good about yourself as you start to see results.

But that does not make it any less difficult! I work in a very small office and everyone goes out for lunch sometimes, not joining them is not an option, and saying no to foods I used to love (that they are all eating) is REALLY hard. But it gets easier.

You can do this, you have made the hardest step by starting. Whilst excitement gets you through the first few days, the first weeks are the hardest to adjust to. You will NOT have to eat subways all the time, you can work anything in to your food plan, and frankly every once in a while you can choose to go outside of it. It will not hurt too much - but choose to do it rather than losing self control and you will feel better about yourself I think. After a while it becomes a way of life and it gets easier I promise.

Do any of your work colleagues know you are eating healthier? Maybe some of them are too? Perhaps you could give each other a little moral support at these kind of outings, and every once in a while split the fries and stuff to half the damage?

Good Luck!
    Jo
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Weight Loss Sabotaged By Wrong Calorie Counts on Menus

Weight loss can be hard if you don’t know how many calories you take in. A new study suggests that some restaurants offer deceptive menu information.

Research has shown that people make smarter choices when restaurants list the calorie counts on their menu. But what happens if the numbers aren’t accurate?

Researchers at the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University found that roughly 50 percent of the food you get at places such as Wendy’s, Applebee’s, Olive Garden, Denny’s, Dunkin’ Donuts, P F Chang’s, Domino’s, McDonald’s and Taco Bell is more fattening than those places say they are. In the worst cases, some foods had twice the calories stated on the menu. The average dish had 18 percent more calories than advertised.

The same study also took a look at some frozen foods from Weight Watchers and Lean Cuisine – foods that are supposed to be the dieter’s choice. A close examination revealed that some of their offerings contained 8 percent more calories than what was listed.

--- from one of the articles I posted.. since I'm seeing so many "just make it fit into your count" comments.

Half the menu items are WRONG in their calorie count. Some items were double, some were triple. On average, the calorie counts were off by 20%

That means that an 800 calorie sandwich and fries clocked in around 1000, and something that was 500 calories was actually 600 calories.

Love this, so true. One issue particular to full-service restaurant is that it is difficult to know that you're getting a standard portion. The corporate chefs design a recipe to be of a certain portion, then work out the nutritional information, but then the people executing it at the restaurant may fill up your plate a little more, or grate on some more cheese.

Often when I eat at fast food, I break the meal down into it's components and add that "1/2 cup chicken breast" "2 cup lettuce"... instead of the restaurant listing. Take a good look at what's actually on your plate. If you're thinking it's difficult to tell what's in your food, then it's probably a food that's overly processes, has too many saucy additives, and isn't something you should be eating anyways. A clean meal is one of simple unprocessed foods and it's easy to tell exactly what's in it.