Success by counting cal.'s alone?

Options
I see impressive weight loss sliders. And am curious if you met that by primarily following the macros that MFP set for you.
Did you just limit your calories and you lost weight?

Replies

• mbow1977
    mbow1977 Posts: 213
    Options
    For the first few months I didnt really pay too much attention to the macros and just concentrated on the calories and eating healthier, I lost 2 stone that way.
    Now I want to tone up I am paying more attention to the macros and my protein to carbs ration, but if starting out, just eat healthy and keep under your cals would be my advice. Good luck
  • mbreed75
    mbreed75 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. BTW, New here! Obviously. This topic is in the wrong section sorry. But Since its here now, any more stories?
  • fatmanonadiet
    fatmanonadiet Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    im trying to start off by getting my body used to eating the suggested calories (and choosing healthier foods but eating more of them). Once im into the run of it im looking to re-start my couch to 5k training, so fingers crossed.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    At this point I am not at all interested in breaking down my nutrition. I've been eating healthier and keeping my calorie intake within my allotted range. Just changing the way I eat is enough of a challange, I don't need to worry about specfics with protein and carbs etc. I'm just looking to lose a little weight not become a fitness guru or bodybuilder so I don't see the point in calculating macros outside of what MFP figured for me.
  • mbreed75
    mbreed75 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Maybe macros is not the term i want to be using. I entered my initial weight and how much i want to lose by set time. and it gave me a recommended calorie intake. So what i mean to ask is, Can I expect to lose weight just by following the calorie recommendation? And/or has that worked for anyone?
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Yes you will lose weight this way. However, I suggest seriously thinking about how to incorporate exercise into your routine for the following reasons. People to exercise are more likely to have achieved a real 'lifestyle change' where they then do not put the weight back on. Exercise will help you lose weight. Exercise will help you be more healthy. Exercise will help your body reform into a strong base once you start to lose fat.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I see impressive weight loss sliders. And am curious if you met that by primarily following the macros that MFP set for you.
    Did you just limit your calories and you lost weight?
    I customized my macro's to reflect my own goals, but the MFP default settings are fine unless you have a reason to change.
  • Mary067
    Mary067 Posts: 31
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds just watching my calorie intake alone. It can be done, but I will eventually have to start a workout program if I want to keep it off.
  • Djbass728
    Djbass728 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes, when I had a biking accident I could not workout - I kept my calories @ 1200 per day and did lose weight. I noticed it came off faster than I thought it would. Good luck!!!!!!!
  • Isrn2
    Isrn2 Posts: 160
    Options
    Almost all of my weight loss has been by counting calories alone. I've walked and done some stationary bike, and as my weight dropped my natural daily activity increased, but I haven't hit the gym hard. I definitely need to do some toning, but still need to drop a bit more weight to make it easier.
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight that way - until you get close to your goal and then you have to really start working at it. Also, if you have a significant amount to lose and you don't exercise then you are going to end up with "flabby bits" that will just annoy you.

The best suggestion I have is watch your calories, do some exercise (you don't have to gear up for body building or marathons) and look at this as a life style change - not a diet.

Good luck.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I watch the calories. I always eat fewer carbs and more protein then recommended by mfp so don't worry about those numbers
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    you can lose the weight just by the simple calorie vs. calorie out method... but without any excercise, you might end up loose and flabby...
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    All I did was count calories. No exercise, no macros.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    calories here. I'd like to think I've had a little success.
  • asmithstl
    Options
    Yes you will lose weight this way. However, I suggest seriously thinking about how to incorporate exercise into your routine for the following reasons. People to exercise are more likely to have achieved a real 'lifestyle change' where they then do not put the weight back on. Exercise will help you lose weight. Exercise will help you be more healthy. Exercise will help your body reform into a strong base once you start to lose fat.

I completly agree - when I work out I don't want to eat the junk I used to crave, after I spend an hour at the Gym I don't want to couteract all that work I put in to eat an unhealthy meal or snack.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit of up to 20% of the TDEE WILL result in weight loss.

Working out/exercise WILL result in fitness.

Yes it works by counting calories alone, but exercise will help with your fitness and tone your body as it loses its weight.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Calories only
  • dragonladywendy
    Options
    I had a spinal operation and could not walk or work out. I concentrated on just eating to the MFP guidelines (1200 calories per day) and lost a staggering 2 stone (28 lbs). When I was able to walk again (very slowly) this increased my weight loss even more.

Since then, I've joined the gym (try and go once a week) and walk everyday and have upped my calories to just over 1400 calories a day and am still consistently losing.

It can be done, so the best of luck!

Feel free to add me :drinker:
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is the whole game, as far as I can tell.

But do strength training to maintain your lean body mass and cardio for your overall health, too.