Success by counting cal.'s alone?

Options
2»

Replies

• tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Counting calories and exercising. That's about it. I keep a general eye on the other stuff but don't stress too much over the Carb-Protein-Fat ratios although if I wanted to I could keep it. I know how to do it from my husband's diabetic nutrition class. But as long as I'm losing, I'm not going to try to enslave myself to numbers. I do keep a close watch on my fiber and sodium though for my own health reasons....sodium seems to make the biggest difference in my weight loss so I try to keep it to 1500/day. Fiber is just to counteract the stomach upset from my meds for my health issues. As long as I get that in and eat yogurt and cottage cheese loaded with probiotics, my tummy is happy with the meds, so I am too! :o) 78 lbs down 37 to go and so ready to be done already!!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Maybe macros is not the term i want to be using. I entered my initial weight and how much i want to lose by set time. and it gave me a recommended calorie intake. So what i mean to ask is, Can I expect to lose weight just by following the calorie recommendation? And/or has that worked for anyone?

Yep! But it might not be on the same timeline. For example, if you chose your calorie goal to result in a 1lb loss per week, you might lose nothing one week and then lose two the next week, etc. It happened a lot to me that all month I would maintain even though I was following my calorie goals, then in the last week of the month all the weight would fall off. Strange! But generally yes, if you follow the calorie goals you will lose.

Like other posters said, exercise helps a lot. It allows you to eat more, and it also helps you change the shape of your body. I've notice that if I watch calories but don't exercise, I get smaller but still have the same jiggly shape. Working out really helps tone everything up.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I didn't join MFP until I reached my goal and was in maintain mode. It took me 1 year and 2 months to reach my goal and I did it without counting ONE calorie. Yes, I had a general idea where I was when it came to my daily intake but I never tracked my calories. I lost my weight from cutting out certain things like soda. Watching my portion control, moderation and exercise.

I think MFP is fantastic and it has helped me with maintaining when it comes to seeing where I need to up my calories, etc. But I feel it rises confusion for some people. In my opinion the formula to losing weight is simple(the formula is simple, not the journey!) Exercise, Portion control, Healthy eating and Moderation!

I don't want it to sound like I am ragging on MFP at all. I love it here, and love the people I have met. You have to find a program that works right for YOU, and if this works than that's fantastic! I just don't want people to fall off the wagon or give up because of Calorie Counting confusion.
  • holliwood97
    holliwood97 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    WOW i think you might have some success yes. Great job!!!
  • mbreed75
    mbreed75 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I work out for about 90 minutes every other day. Although I just started a couple months ago. Glad to hear tho that if i slack off at the gym i can still lose by dieting alone.

But mfp is recommending 1900 cal/day. It doesn't take exercise into the calculation. I recalculated my goals with exercise and without. It didn't change. Then i see many of you on 1200 calorie diets. I think i understand that since i am taller my body can burn thru more calories in a day. Can i trust mfp's recommendation?
  • Kahed58
    Options
    I just started MFP about a week ago and really I feel at this point I can only concentrate on one thing at a time and that's the caloric intake. It seems to be working down as I'm down 5lbs so far. The tracking part is very easy and I feel encouraged by reading others blogs and having a few friends join me along my journey.
  • mbreed75
    Options
    Congratulations on the loss. Keep it up! Now only if my body can get in gear.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    It would not be wise to consider how many calories other people are eating. Everybody's body has different needs. Either use the numbers that MFP has given you, or you could find out your BMR and TDEE using the Road Map which a lot of people on here are using instead to assess their calorie goal. The following link will explain and give calculators.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • MontyQ
    MontyQ Posts: 1
    Options
    Counting calories is what it's all about. There is no other way to lose fat.

Losing fat is more difficult if you become insulin resistant and have a ton of insulin floating around in your bloodstream, but counting calories alone will definitely suffice.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I work out for about 90 minutes every other day. Although I just started a couple months ago. Glad to hear tho that if i slack off at the gym i can still lose by dieting alone.

But mfp is recommending 1900 cal/day. It doesn't take exercise into the calculation. I recalculated my goals with exercise and without. It didn't change. Then i see many of you on 1200 calorie diets. I think i understand that since i am taller my body can burn thru more calories in a day. Can i trust mfp's recommendation?
    When you exercise, MFP adds these burned calories into your daily goal.
    You exercise and eat back those calories.
    Your deficit is already built into your goal, so again, when you burn calories training, BANG!...more food to eat.
    I love this system!
  • mbreed75
    Options
    It would not be wise to consider how many calories other people are eating. Everybody's body has different needs. Either use the numbers that MFP has given you, or you could find out your BMR and TDEE using the Road Map which a lot of people on here are using instead to assess their calorie goal. The following link will explain and give calculators.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Great link. Thank you!
  • mbreed75
    Options
    Okay help me out. According to fat2fit my BMR is 2028, lightly active is 2548. Is 2548 my TDEE? MFP has set my calorie goal at 1930. Should i follow MFP or adjust my goal higher to 2548?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Okay help me out. According to fat2fit my BMR is 2028, lightly active is 2548. Is 2548 my TDEE? MFP has set my calorie goal at 1930. Should i follow MFP or adjust my goal higher to 2548?

OP can you PM me your stats plz?

Weight
    Body fat% or waist measurement
    Occupation
    Workout routine

Thx.
  • mbreed75
    Options
    Sent, thanks!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I have similar issues myself over how much or how little to eat - was wondering if Dan can post the result/answer so I can see what calories you end up eating. Thanks and good luck :)

Oh, and my input on the calories vs exercise question: Exercise is a must. You don't want to end up being skinny fat. Exercise increases all the good things. Weights will increase your bone density and ward off osteoperosis, increase lean body mass, raise your resting metabolism and help with posture and make you look fabulous, whereas cardio will burn fat but not necessarily give you the nice shape to go with it.

Read "in place of a road map" and search eat more to lose weight, lots of good links!!