2 simple questions I need help with?

Options
they're not related, but they're both pretty simple questions.

1. My thighs are muscular, I do elliptical pretty much every day, but don't hate, I do high incline and high resistance usually and it really burns and I've noticed toning, and I also do weights and stuff and abs. I don't just chill on the eliptical. But I was wondering, what do you all consider big thighs, like what's the line between good big and bad big, like I said mine are pretty muscular, but still have some fat in the inner thigh (any help for that?) and the biggest part of it is 24 inches and the smallest part about 16 inches, is this still considered really big?

2. Why do people say drinking diet soda is so bad? is it really that bad having it not daily?

Replies

• stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    any answers?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    1. Why does it matter?

2. Some people don't like artificial sweetners. If you like having diet soda, drink diet soda.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't have much help. Yours are smaller than mine (which are 28)? Mine are covered in fat right now, but working on it (squats and deadlifts for the win!)
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    1. I'm also wondering why this matters

2. I drink diet soda once in awhile and it doesn't effect me in any way.
  • fourpairs
    Options
    The problem with diet soda is the artificial sweetener they you increases your appetite and makes you crave more junk foods. So even an occasionally soda is enough to through your diet in a tail spin.
  • linzpier
    Options
    1. I personally, love muscular legs. Mine still are pretty muscular too, from playing soccer when I was younger. I've always cared more about not jiggling than being really skinny. Healthy and strong.

2, People say diet drinks (well and all soda too) are bad because of all the chemicals in them. It's just bad for you. That being said, I still love me some Diet Coke, but try to limit how much i drink.

Hope that helps.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    #1 does kind of matter for how your clothes fit LOL. I consider mine large and they are fairly flabby. They're down to 22" now. But, Maybe they wouldn't seem "large" if they were more muscular. I'll let you know when they get there LOL.

#2 Everything in moderation :-)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    they're not related, but they're both pretty simple questions.

1. My thighs are muscular, I do elliptical pretty much every day, but don't hate, I do high incline and high resistance usually and it really burns and I've noticed toning, and I also do weights and stuff and abs. I don't just chill on the eliptical. But I was wondering, what do you all consider big thighs, like what's the line between good big and bad big, like I said mine are pretty muscular, but still have some fat in the inner thigh (any help for that?) and the biggest part of it is 24 inches and the smallest part about 16 inches, is this still considered really big?

2. Why do people say drinking diet soda is so bad? is it really that bad having it not daily?

1. There is no definition of what is considered big and not. If you think it's too big, it's because it's a layer of fat covering it.

2. already answered.

3. I would highly suggest you do not use the elliptical every day. It will prevent you recovering and exposing you to injury. Also, you make all your gains when you recovery. Also, are you lifting heavy (max around 6-10 reps)? If not, you are not maximizing strength gains. Although fat loss is the same if you do 6 reps or 15 reps, you will get stronger with less. Now, you can do a day or a few sets of high rep low weight to hit both slow and fast twitch muscle fibers.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    She's asking about very precise measurements, who the hell determines what's big and what's not? Get them down to a size you're comfortable with.
  • stonel94
    Options
    because as much as people like to say it doesn't, apperance matters, and I don't always feel good about myself, so I want to know what other people think, so I can put my thoughts in some sort of perspective.
    If I think I look good and everyone else thinks I don't, that matters to me, because clearly there is something that makes people think that, and they will think less of me. It's just a fact, clearly not every single person cares about others apperances, but there's enough studies been done to show that it does have a significant impact in things like getting jobs, relationships, things that are important to me.
  • stonel94
    Options
    3. I would highly suggest you do not use the elliptical every day. It will prevent you recovering and exposing you to injury. Also, you make all your gains when you recovery. Also, are you lifting heavy (max around 6-10 reps)? If not, you are not maximizing strength gains. Although fat loss is the same if you do 6 reps or 15 reps, you will get stronger with less. Now, you can do a day or a few sets of high rep low weight to hit both slow and fast twitch muscle fibers.

I can't run regularly because I have knee problems, bikes are boring and less effective to me, I don't have access to a pool, so I have an elliptical at my house it's what I use. When I'm at school I do alternate, bike, running, eliptical, and a different sort of elipitcal that feels like running in sand, also different weights, and dance.
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Soda whether diet or not is just a bunch of chemical and is not good for you. Don't get me wrong I drink it too sometimes.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    When you drink diet soda your body reacts to it as if it were sweet and pumps insulin into your system in response to the sugar it thinks is in your blood stream. This sequesters the blood sugar to be stored as fat (that's what it's supposed to do) and makes it so you can't burn fat.

When you are trying to live your life and use energy (i.e., burn those calories, use that fat, use that blood sugar), you don't have much in your blood stream because you drank diet soda (which doesn't have usable calories). And you can't burn your stored supply of energy (fat) because insulin suppresses your ability to do so.

So you get hungry.

Immediately, you're more likely to eat or more likely to want to eat if you're trying not to. Long term this can make you gain weight and also can lead to insulin resistance, a risk factor for diabetes.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    1) Muscular legs are hott. Mine are 25"... love them.

2) Everything in moderation.

:happy:
  • minsch
    minsch Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    When you drink diet soda your body reacts to it as if it were sweet and pumps insulin into your system in response to the sugar it thinks is in your blood stream. This sequesters the blood sugar to be stored as fat (that's what it's supposed to do) and makes it so you can't burn fat.

When you are trying to live your life and use energy (i.e., burn those calories, use that fat, use that blood sugar), you don't have much in your blood stream because you drank diet soda (which doesn't have usable calories). And you can't burn your stored supply of energy (fat) because insulin suppresses your ability to do so.

So you get hungry.

Immediately, you're more likely to eat or more likely to want to eat if you're trying not to. Long term this can make you gain weight and also can lead to insulin resistance, a risk factor for diabetes.

Wow....thanks for the explanation. When I did WW they had us all stop drinking diet soda for 1 week to see what would happen and the difference of weight loss was significant. I have slipped back into drinking diet soda....I think I will stop!
  • Ezmereldann
    Options
    All things are relative - to help tone the inner thigh, have you ever tried the "eggbeater" kick for treading water in the pool? I think that would help.

As Meghan said, all things in moderation :)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda every day. I will probably die from it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

I can't run regularly because I have knee problems, bikes are boring and less effective to me, I don't have access to a pool, so I have an elliptical at my house it's what I use. When I'm at school I do alternate, bike, running, eliptical, and a different sort of elipitcal that feels like running in sand, also different weights, and dance.

What I am suggestion is don't do workouts that target the same muscle group consecutively. Running and elliptical will both target lets. You need time to rest, so one day weight train and the next then do a cardio type exercise. You should see greater benefit and will be less prone to injury by separating them.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    1. I consider my thighs to be on the smaller side. Before I started working out at lot and just lost weight through dieting my thighs were 17", then I started working out a lot and they got to 19", then lost a bit more fat and now they're 18".

2. For some people artificial sweeteners can cause cravings. It doesn't for me so I still drink diet soda.
  • madeleineg1
    Options
    1. Well the in the Us the average thigh circumference is 22. 3" yet this does not mean anything unless you take into consideration your body type and overall fat to muscle ratio. Therefore to generalize for all women would be inaccurate, however in the end it is all about how you feel about yourself that makes all the difference. So, in regards to your comment about the affect on important relationships and opportunities, this has a very insignificant effect. The important attributes that many look for is your personality and appearance in terms of how you put yourself together and present yourself rather than weight.