Over 300lbs, how many calories are you eating?

Options
The more you weigh the more calories you get but when you are significantly overweight I think the numbers are off. I'm supposed to be eating 2800 calories a day! No way, I'll never lose weight eating that much.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The numbers get weird when you're on the high end of the scale because your body fat % is so high and you really don't need to feed the fat. You can probably safely drop down to the 2000 calorie range and see how it goes. You'll lose huge amounts the first couple weeks but then it will level off.
  • lissavlog
    Options
    when i was over 300 i was eating about 1800 calories a day.
  • 3saLarson
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I changed my goal to 1.5 lbs. and increased my activity level to light, since I now have the energy to get off the couch. It seems that I was not eating enough. Who knew??? :wink: I haven't updated my weight ,but this morning I was down another 2 lbs. I just don't believe it, so I'm waiting to update. I still don't eat all my calories, and a real work out isn't in my near future, chronic pain, but I'm feeling better. I just keep moving. :smile:
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    800 calories a day.. I'm on a supervised VLCD though so it's not something you should just do on your own.... When I counted calories in the past I tried 1800-2000 and I didn't lose at ALL.. I am also hypothyroid which doesn't help matters.
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    When I started I was 320 and eating 1800 on the advice of my Dr. That got me down to about 260 or so and then i've hit a plateau for the past 6 or 8 months. For exercise I was walking and biking. In the last month or so I've increased my calories first to 2200 and currently at about 2100 using the "in place of a roadmap" spreadsheet and figures from the HRM I got a couple months ago.

Also I've started adding strength training in the form of dumbbell workouts trying to lift as heavy as I can and adding weight regularly and cut the cardio down some. I've started to see some loss on and off but still a lot of re-treading of the same 10 pounds. (Also I've noticed body changes in added strength and some loss of inches). So I'm continuing on this pace for at least another month to evaluate how it's going.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Options
    When i was 324lbs i consumed 2000. Now at 280+lbs i consume 1800.
  • Chelle_Davis
    Options
    I'm at 389 and am eating 1600 calories a day. I just try to eat like a normal person my size would.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have dropped from 420 to 303 and currently I eat 1980 and try to only eat about one third of my exercise calories back.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    2200-3000+ Depends on how active I've been, hunger, etc etc.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    it really depends on your activity level and you would be in better hands to calculate your BMR and TDEE...however 1800-2000 is a good number to start with...if you aren't losing ....or are losing too fast you can always adjust that.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    The more you weigh the more energy it requires for you to just live. So yes, you will eat significantly more calories than someone who weighs 200 pounds that's trying to lose weight. And yes, you will still lose weight, the point is to drop down gradually.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

This I started at 300 eating 1900, now I'm at 240 eating 1740
  • BeingKevin
    BeingKevin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am 6'1" and 389 pounds. MFP is set to sedentary and lose 2 pounds a week and I get 2480 calories a day.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    it really depends on your activity level and you would be in better hands to calculate your BMR and TDEE...however 1800-2000 is a good number to start with...if you aren't losing ....or are losing too fast you can always adjust that.

This is a good way to go, you will lose weight quickly eating 1800-2000 calories and exercising. Just don't go from eating 4000 calories a day to 1200 because you will be hungry, just cut back on what you do now and you will adjust!

weight loss isn't a strait line either! You will lose a lot of weight one week and none the week after! It happens!
  • ejk1071
    Options
    I just started last week so I don't know if it's working yet but I weigh 323 and I get 2210 calories/day trying to lose 2 lbs a week. I don't actually come close to eating that many calories tho. Averaging between 1600 and 1800 per day.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

This. Then I went down to 1500... then 1300... then I went back up to 2000... now I'm somewhere around 1900 unless its a lifting day and then I eat 2300.

You can eat less if you want, but as you get closer to your goal, your body is going to be more dependent on food because your fat stores have been depleted. You will eventually have to increase your cals or be hungry all the time.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    eat more to lose weight... if you want to know how many calories you need to take in go to one of those weight loss centers or hospitals that do body comp test
  • jiggy66
    jiggy66 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have dropped from 420 to 303 and currently I eat 1980 and try to only eat about one third of my exercise calories back.

I am going to try to just eat back 1/3 of my exercise calories. I usually have about 600 at the end of the day and between all the information here on MFP, I never know if I should eat them all or not! Some say yes, some day no. At least you have been successful.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    When I first started I was 305 lbs. Not saying it is right or wrong, but I knew I wanted to weigh about 200 lbs, so I started eating what I should eat to maintain my weight at 200 lbs. Worked for me for the first 40-60 lbs.

My logic was that underneath this layer of fat, was the body I wanted. So, if I pretended that I was maintaining that body, I'd get there eventually. It works. The only reason I changed things up eventually is to account for LBM and speed things along a little. Still, it has taken me about 2 years and 4 months to get to 185 - right at 1 lb/wk.
  • dizy17
    dizy17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    i started at 323lbs and im down to 305 and im eating 1650 calories. if i work out i eat more.