Over 300lbs, how many calories are you eating?

Options

Replies

• jontv76
    jontv76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I get between 1200-2200 a day, started at 450lbs and am currently 393, have a cheat day every other weekend though!

57lbs lost since 10/4/2012.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    2200 - 2500
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I eat and lose at 2400 the 'scary' part is that until I was tracking I had to have been eating close to 4000 calories a day to put on weight as I was, but not tracking I didn't and couldn't know that...

Before I made any changes to my diet I tracked for two weeks. That is the scary part. There was a bar around the corner from my office that I worked at, at the time. I figured just the Lunch I was having 3 times a week was north of 4500 calories. On top of that we'd go smoke a cigar afterwards. I'm surpised I was physicly able to the stuff I was doing....which wasn't much.
  • Iceman420
    Iceman420 Posts: 195
    Options
    I eat about 2,000 calories a day.
  • KourtneyP83
    Options
    I started at 1820 when I was around 300lbs and that was to lose 2 lbs a week. I never ate quite that much, but I lost pretty steady.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    My husband was over 300 and it suggested about 3000+ calories. He chose 2000 and after a few weeks, he found that he was actually full and satified on that amount.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    A BMR of 2800 would put you at almost 500 lbs. Are you sure those aren't maintenance calories? I have a friend who is at 350 and her calorie goal is about 1700.

I'd encourage you to re-figure the calories!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Don't overlook that the "calorie goal" includes the deficit for your chosen rate of loss on MFP,
    and BMR is going to depend on (according to the MFP calculator) height, weight, age and sex. So mine at 330 has me at 2400 calories for BMR
  • ChiNy28
    ChiNy28 Posts: 4
    Options
    I weigh 340 right now, was 354 when I started and MFP 375 at my heaviest. MFP calculation went from 1880 to 1810 but I never go over 18k, stay between 15-17k and I eat about 40-60% of exercise cals back, which I am planning to stop doing. I found that more activity equals more loss, I know I need to get as active as I was last year when I started my weightloss journey. Right now my profile is set to sedentary with 2 days a wk working out and 2lbs a wk weightloss. God bless and good luck to everyone! Please add me I need some ” fitness pals” on this journey!!!! Kudos to ALL!!!! ;-)
  • VersusTheMoose
    Options
    I started at 320 and was a little too intense for the first 10 weeks or so. I ate 1200 but I am now around 1600-1800 and losing just as much a week.
  • pinkcloudrising
    Options
    My nutritionist said 1510 for me but I dialed it back to 1490 after a month because I was feeling too full and / or not eating the food I had planned.

I am comfortably full eating the 1490 calories per day spread between three meals and 3 snacks per day. I lowered the carbs from what the plan stated because I have had success in the past with losing weight when I cut my carb intake. I eat well and I don't restrict or deny myself foods. I do stick closely to my planned meals each day and the calorie allotment.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    When I was 380 pounds I ate 1800 calories but looking back now i think I should have eaten more...I suspect 2200-2500...Im now 200 pounds and still eating 1800 calories :)
  • cmfruin2012
    cmfruin2012 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I started at 447 with over 2400 calories -- now at 418 and at 2330 -- when you have this much body, it takes a lot of energy (kCals) to keep it working and moving -- anything less and you'd be starving -- so don't question the number -- you will lose weight -- and if you exercise, eat those too! You gotta fuel your movement.
  • nomesw84
    nomesw84 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Started at 300lbs and I'm eating 1900 a day but quite often come in under and don't eat back any exercise calories (unless they take me under 1200 net). Seems to be working so far!
  • BlueAngel12
    Options
    I weigh in at 448 and am 67 years old I try to eat no more then 1800-2000 calories a day due to an accident I don't get a lot of exercise but I do walk the tread mill everyday, I don't know how to figure out how many calories I should be consuming. One program said 4300 calories a day and that just don't seem right . Anybody know the answer ?
  • Kellllog
    Kellllog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Currently aiming to net about 750 5 days a week and 1500 on the other two; cutting carbs as low as I can to try and settle other problems down then reintroduce them way down the road somewhere.

Edit:- I should add that this is medically supervised
  • Wheezzy
    Wheezzy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I first started I did calorie counting and was about at 2500/day and since I evenly spread it out throughout the day I lost weight.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I started around 300, 6'3", large frame. I aim for around 2000 net calories. I eat 100% of my exercise calories back and I prefer restricting carbs to keep my appetite in check (as 2000-2500 calories goes by quickly). I lose at around 2 lbs/week this way - more at first and a bit less now. I've seen nice strength gains throughout, although recently some lifts have stalled in (in part due to reduced volume, but also in part due to the caloric deficit). I could have lost the weight faster (especially given how satiating my diet is), but I'm happy with the slower pace and strength gains.
  • kanabcat
    kanabcat Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm 6'2" and currently weight 168. After losing a lot of weight, I got this calorie counter to make sure I didn't lose too much more. I'm supposed to eat 2,460 just to maintain. I'm not even counting exercise (because I don't do nearly enough anyway). I've barely been able to make enough calories every day, and I'm constantly eating. After seeing what others have wrote here it confirmed what I had thought, its not how many calories, it's what those calories are. I started by just cutting out sodas and anything with added sugar (did not give up natural sugar like bananas at all). Then I cut out all processed foods....and then the big one...bread. Now I'm basically doing modified Paleo. The difference is that I eat more vegetables and a smaller amount of meat than they recommend (only one serving per day). Also, I drink Kefir for the good bacteria, eat some rice because Asians usually seem healthy, and some cheese, because I love it. My diet for the past week has been 39% carb 19% protein and 42% fat (mostly the good fats, avocados, nuts, etc. although my saturated fat is pretty normal - eggs, red meat once a week). I honestly don't know if this is the best way to be healthy, but it's something I"m trying and it's working for me. I"m slim, I have more energy, and my digestion doesn't feel like it's killing me like when I ate fast food, sodas, coffee, etc. Also I don't have a gut that hurts my ribcage anymore. I think everyone should eat a lot of healthy food, and never starve themselves.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I started at 447 with over 2400 calories -- now at 418 and at 2330 -- when you have this much body, it takes a lot of energy (kCals) to keep it working and moving -- anything less and you'd be starving -- so don't question the number -- you will lose weight -- and if you exercise, eat those too! You gotta fuel your movement.

I agree... I started at 333 and ate about 2600 I think, and I did lose... I have found if you follow what MFP tells you, it works. You just have to be accurate in your measuring and tracking of both food and exercise. I generally eat back about 50 to 75 percent of exercise calories....