Almond Milk

Options
Does anyone use almond milk instead of regular milk? I was wondering what the benefits of it are?

Replies

• tabfjo
    tabfjo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have completely replaced cow's milk with almond or soy milk in my house. The main benefit for me is that it doesn't expire as fast as cow's milk. I can buy a carton and it lasts months and can be frozen! It also has less calories, a little less fat, and the same amount of Calcium.

I get Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Milk. I think it does taste different that cow's milk.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk too because of it's long shelf life and I like the taste better than skim milk. One thing to consider though is that it has way less protein than cow or soy milk.
  • _reno_
    _reno_ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk because it is delicious, lower calorie (especially sugars from lactose) , and has a long shelf life.
    Add vanilla protein powder to bring up the protein content, and you will have a better macro balance than dairy milk.
  • coachmjfitness11
    Options
    I have completely replaced cow's milk with almond or soy milk in my house. The main benefit for me is that it doesn't expire as fast as cow's milk. I can buy a carton and it lasts months and can be frozen! It also has less calories, a little less fat, and the same amount of Calcium.

I get Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Milk. I think it does taste different that cow's milk.

This is the kind i use! I love it. But i recently learned that some brands DO expire so watch out! You'll know if it does. It gave me a stomach ache once, but it wasin't the blue diamond brand! I love using it for cereal and my shakeology because it IS less calories and still offers the calcium like tabfjo said! :) I find it better than soy because it doesn't have hormones. All good without the downsides of dairy!
  • _reno_
    _reno_ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    nonfat milk
    90 calories
    12g sugar
    8g protein

unsweetened silk vanilla with 1/2 scoop protein powder
    105 calories
    1G sugar
    14G protein
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I think I may try it...
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    nonfat milk
    90 calories
    12g sugar
    8g protein

unsweetened silk vanilla with 1/2 scoop protein powder
    105 calories
    1G sugar
    14G protein

Awesome!
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i like the taste a lot better
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I think I may try it...

Almond milk is made for baby almonds not humans
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I love the Blue Diamond unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Add in a scoop of chocolate protein powder and it's like a tasty good for you treat :)
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Lower cals.

That and the fact that if I think about where cow's milk comes from for too long, I get the heebee jeebees.
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I like the taste (can't drink milk, nasty!), and you can cook with it! I checked the blue diamond almond milk website!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    It's processed food so that's right out. :smokin:
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Almond milk is made for baby almonds not humans
    [/quote]

Hahaha!

Almond milk tastes better, and I am lactose intolerant. That's why I drink it.

Edit: didn't quote properly ... Still didn't fix it. Whatever.
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I drink Unsweet almond milk daily. It is low cal and agood source of calcium.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    For me, lactose intolerance first, shelf life second. I can drink cow's milk, but have to take OTC meds everytime and for me they only work up to about 8-10 oz of milk. For example, a double protein shake (16 oz milk) is a no go unless I want to be a hermit for the next 12 hours.
    FWIW: I MUCH prefer the taste/texture of coconut milk over soy, rice, and almond. Lactaid milk also works for me, but it's more expensive and usually spoils in the fridge before I finish it.
  • amariewittman7
    amariewittman7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Another option is So Delicious coconut milk. I believe it has less sugar/carb than the straight almond milk though I'm not sure. You can also get from Blue Diamond a blend of Almond-Coconut milk. Both are really good flavor and come in the aspeptic packaging that you can keep in the cupboard until ready to use.
  • hofdog
    hofdog Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    That is all I use too.
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I love it. It has more calcium than yogurt and anything else I can quickly consume. I am supposed to have 1500 mg daily/
    1000 mg from food and 500 mg from a calcium supplement like Viactiv. I can get it easily from the Almond milk . Like others have said I detest cows milk .............Ew