Almond Milk

Options

Replies

• Sorie44
    Sorie44 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant so I had to give up moo milk.

I have gotten so I really like Almond milk. I drink the original 60 calories per serving.

I bake with it too.
  • tabfjo
    tabfjo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in coupons to try Almond Milk you can go to www.bluediamond.com, click "Contact Us" and select request coupons. I did it when I was first interested in trying Almond Milk and they sent about 10 coupons for their products!
  • Sorie44
    Sorie44 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Lower cals.

That and the fact that if I think about where cow's milk comes from for too long, I get the heebee jeebees.

It is true that cows are given antibiotics and hormones. I know you were thinks about the udders.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Lower cals.

That and the fact that if I think about where cow's milk comes from for too long, I get the heebee jeebees.

It is true that cows are given antibiotics and hormones. I know you were thinks about the udders.
    Almond milk is for baby almonds, and they inject almond milk with vitamins, not a pretty sight.:bigsmile:
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I think I may try it...

Almond milk is made for baby almonds not humans

cows milk is made for baby cows, not humans
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Thanks, but I don't like coconut! :tongue:
  • Mommy4812
    Options
    Thanks! :smile:
  • Mommy4812
    Options
    Also, What is the difference between sweetened and unsweetened?
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options

If you haven't had either start with the unsweetened so you can get used the taste, and it's less calories. I started off on the sweetened and I can't wean myself off it :(
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    The sweetened version is higher in its calorie, carb & sugar content.
  • poundis
    poundis Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have used the unsweetened vanilla almond milk for a while now. I use it in my cereal only. I buy it because it has less calories then skim milk and also has more calcium. However, I still prefer the taste of dairy milk.
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

The sweetened kind, well, tastes sweet. Best way I could describe it is if you were drinking chocolate milk mix, but vanilla instead of chocolate. That kind of sweet. My kids LOVE when I buy the sweetened vanilla almond milk. They want to drink it all.

I almost always buy the unsweetened.
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know that almonds had nipples. Doh! :laugh:
  • AckieJ
    AckieJ Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I also love it on cereal or anything else mixed with it. I don't drink milk alone anyway. Never have. I do like the low cals and no one in my house touches it so it's all MINE!!! lol
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I have completely replaced cow's milk with almond or soy milk in my house. The main benefit for me is that it doesn't expire as fast as cow's milk. I can buy a carton and it lasts months and can be frozen! It also has less calories, a little less fat, and the same amount of Calcium.

I get Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Milk. I think it does taste different that cow's milk.

Most cartons read "should be used within 5 days of opening" the long shelf life is for unopened cartons.

OP: pay attention to the protein, almond milk have very little per serving vs. 9 grams for cows milk (most of the cals saved are due to lower protein content)
  • notreallytrillian
    notreallytrillian Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I like Silk Almond milk - and it has tons of calcium!
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    I use almond milk because I cannot, unfortunately, digest cow's milk. Plus...as I've heard many times over the years, people should really NOT be drinking cows milk--humans are the only species who drinks the milk of another species--every other one weans their young eventually. But...we do need calcium and almond milk is comparable to cow's in that. Fairly good in protein and I really, really like it. I use the unsweetened one as I don't believe we should have so much added sugar in our lives either--and it's only 40 cals per cup. MHO only :o)
  • princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant so Almond Milk works great for me, taste better than Lactaid or Soy milk. yuk. I also like that it has fewer calories and seems smoother. I accidentally bought Vanilla flavored once and made some hamburger helper that was well.... interesting......... After that I made sure I had plain/original flavor.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    +1 for blue diamond unsweetened.

Also I love the blue diamond chocolate for after runs. Its like majicsex.
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I think I may try it...

Almond milk is made for baby almonds not humans

cows milk is made for baby cows, not humans

This, for sure!! :o)