Options
13»

Replies

• PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    alarmists will say dont drink it.

I say...meh

My thoughts exactly. I drink regular soda....Dr Pepper to be exact. I hate the taste of diet soda. I'm still alive and kicking, and have lost almost 30 pounds.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I drink a Diet Dr. Pepper every single day and I've lost 61 pounds doing so.

Drinking diet soda does NOT make the calories you eat magically multiply.
  • randilynn113
    randilynn113 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m4ju4mimrb1qcb58yo2_500_zps706ffc8a.gif

Love this! ^^
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I've been addicted to diet soda for a while, especially when I started counting calories because it didn't ding me when I drank them. But I recently started dating a guy who uses soda to clean car engines. Just seeing that stuff take off paint was enough to make me not want to drink it anymore.
  • JasonsSoulMate
    JasonsSoulMate Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm not quoting the wall of text "studies" but I will say this:

Check out my ticker. You see that big, shiny number? Yea, I got to that big, shiny number drinking about 2-4 diet sodas a day.
    Well done. It's all personal anyway. No 2 people react the same way to anything!

Do what is right for you and remember moderation is the key to everything
  • JasonsSoulMate
    JasonsSoulMate Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've been addicted to diet soda for a while, especially when I started counting calories because it didn't ding me when I drank them. But I recently started dating a guy who uses soda to clean car engines. Just seeing that stuff take off paint was enough to make me not want to drink it anymore.

mmmm you need to watch Myth Busters. We recently had an episode on tv in Australia (so probably a good 2 years old) that busted that myth. Cola does not degrease a car engine any more than water did! And it's had little or no effect on paint. Go look up the Myth Busters on this one!
    Edit: to save you time here's the link. However take into consideration that this was done with regular cola, not diet.
    http://mythbustersresults.com/episode5
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I've never heard it called fizzy pop before, but I like it. I think from now on, I will refer to soda as fizzy pop.

Also, listen to SideSteel.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Just seeing that stuff take off paint was enough to make me not want to drink it anymore.

This reminds me of this news article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9785183/Coca-cola-recommended-as-medical-cure-for-stomach-blockages.html

"The bubbles and chemical make-up of coca-cola makes the beverage an effective cure for getting rid of stomach blockages, a medical study has revealed, with doctors recommending the drink as an alternative to surgery."
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you have a sensitivity to it, then don't drink it. If it helps adherence to your calories, then it will help weight loss. If it hinders adherence, then it won't. Pay attention to SideSteel's nerd post.
  • Txglitter
    Txglitter Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Sorry I did not read all the responses. I know a lot of people say it is terrible... I drink it every day....I have weighed between 103-154lbs during the last ten years one thing that has not changed is my consumption of diet soda. It has never impacted my weight, I am not saying it is good for you just that it has never affected my weight.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Two new studies have found that even diet sodas can make you gain weight and become fat.

The studies were presented Saturday (June 25) at the meeting of the American Diabetes Association.

The first study looked into data from 474 participants of the San Antonio Longitudinal Study of Aging (SALSA), a large population-based study of the disablement process in elderly Mexican Americans and European Americans.

Measures of height, weight, waist size and diet soda intake were recorded at the SALSA enrollment and then again at three follow-up exams over the following ten years.

The study discovered that people who drank two or more diet sodas daily had their waist size increase six times greater than people who did not drink diet soda at all.

A second study from the University of Texas found that aspartame, a sweetener frequently used in diet soda, increased blood sugar levels in diabetes-prone mice.

Data from this and other prospective studies suggest that the promotion of diet sodas and artificial sweeteners as healthy alternatives may be ill-advised... they may be free of calories, but not of consequences, stated study researcher Helen P. Hazuda, Ph.D.

A study published earlier this year found that people who drink beverages (diet or regular) daily have higher chances of suffering strokes and heart attacks.

In the United States, the number of people who consume foods with artificial sweeteners (like diet soda) has doubled to 160 million during the past 20 years.
    (Source:http://www.ibtimes.com/diet-sodas-linked-larger-waist-circumference-294793)

Mouse study:
    Aspartame consumption in diabetes-prone mice
    In the related project, Ganesh Halade, Ph.D., Gabriel Fernandes, Ph.D., the senior author and professor of rheumatology and clinical immunology, and Fowler studied the relationship between oral exposure to aspartame and fasting glucose and insulin levels in 40 diabetes-prone mice. Aspartame is an artificial sweetener widely used in diet sodas and other products.
    One group of the mice ate chow to which both aspartame and corn oil were added; the other group ate chow with the corn oil added but not the aspartame. After three months on this high-fat diet, the mice in the aspartame group showed elevated fasting glucose levels but equal or diminished insulin levels, consistent with early declines in pancreatic beta-cell function. The difference in insulin levels between the groups was not statistically significant. Beta cells make insulin, the hormone that lowers blood sugar after a meal. Imbalance ultimately leads to diabetes.
    "These results suggest that heavy aspartame exposure might potentially directly contribute to increased blood glucose levels, and thus contribute to the associations observed between diet soda consumption and the risk of diabetes in humans," Dr. Fernandes said.

These two translational research studies resulted from collaboration between Fowler and Drs. Hazuda and Fernandes and their research teams. The Institute for the Integration of Medicine and Science (IIMS) funded the work. IIMS is the Health Science Center entity that oversees the university's Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA), a National Institutes of Health-funded program to encourage the rapid translation of scientific discoveries from the laboratory through the testing process and to practical application for the health of communities.
    (Source:http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110627183944.htm)

Bottom line, 0 calorie is not 0 consequence!

Hogwash. OP, are you diabetes-prone? Even if you are, don't let that article scare you.

Cheers! :drinker:
  • Emsevers
    Options
    Heck, anyone can look up aspartame or whatever on google and check out the various studies, theories and what not about artificial sweeteners and make up their own minds. Personally I think its terrible stuff not fit for consumption, but everyones different I guess.

A relative of mine who works in the RAF also told me once that the pilots are barred from consuming aspartame/artificial sweeteners before flying aircraft, because aspartame toxicity leaves them more susceptible to suffering from vertigo and even seizures during flight.

"Aspartame is, by far, the most dangerous substance on the market that is added to foods. Aspartame accounts for over 75 percent of the adverse reactions to food additives reported to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Many of these reactions are very serious including seizures and death as recently disclosed in a February 1994 Department of Health and Human Services report.(1) A few of the 90 different documented symptoms listed in the report as being caused by aspartame include:
    Headaches/migraines, dizziness, seizures, nausea, numbness, muscle spasms, weight gain, rashes, depression, fatigue, irritability, tachycardia, insomnia, vision problems, hearing loss, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, loss of taste, tinnitus, vertigo, memory loss, and joint pain.

According to researchers and physicians studying the adverse effects of aspartame, the following chronic illnesses can be triggered or worsened by ingesting of aspartame:(2)
    Brain tumors, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, chronic fatigue syndrome, parkinson's disease, alzheimer's, mental retardation, lymphoma, birth defects, fibromyalgia, and diabetes."

Believe what you will. If you feel good and drink diet drinks carry on as you are. Even though I am under the belief that artificial sweeteners are very bad for you, I know it would be ridiculous to believe that they can cause EVERYONE harm. Like a medication, some might suffer from adverse side effects where as others may not be affected at all and I think its the same with sweeteners but I am not willing to take the risk.

I have been a huge Diet Pepsi drinker for many years. I've drank several 44oz fountain drinks of it in a day so obviously I did not practice moderation. In the past few months I've had daily headaches, a lot of nausea (daily), and small amounts of vertigo. In the past year or so I've had heart palpitations. So I decided to quit drinking diet Pepsi all together. My nausea is gone and my headaches are much less.

My point is, some people may experience no symptoms ever in their life but it can adversely affect some people so all the studies are not completely wrong.