Need something different to do with lentils..not soup!

Options

Replies

• Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Pasta Shells & Lentils

Ingredients:

1/2 lb lentils 1 whole onion, peeled 1 medium carrot 1 celery stalk 2 cloves garlic, peeled 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 1 tablespoons onion, chopped fine 1/2 cup pancetta or bacon, chopped Salt and pepper 1 lb pasta shells 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

Directions:

Boil the lentils with the onion, the carrot and the celery and drain when tender.

In a saucepan, wide enough to contain the lentils, saut� the garlic in the olive oil over medium heat until it becomes a pale brown in color.

Remove the garlic, add the chopped onion and pancetta and saut� for a few minutes.

Add the lentils mixing thoroughly over medium heat for about 10 minutes.

Add salt and pepper.

Cook the pasta, add the sauce and toss.

Add the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and toss very thoroughly. Serves 4-6.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    You can cook them just like beans, Hispanic style. My husband's favorite meal is rice, lentils, and scrambled eggs on top. He is Colombian and they also eat this dish for breakfast. I sometimes substitute the rice for quinoa for added fiber and protein.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    brown lentils make nice taco meat like someone already said.. yum..

Also there are many other kinds of soup you can make with lentils. I do a middle eastern lentil soup that is not spicy.. It is made with the red lentils, carrots, onion, chicken stock, garlic.. a little pinch of cumin in there.. then just as it's finishing up, toss in a few handfulls of spinach. YUMMMMM

Also you can make mjaddara

you can also just soak them and sprout them and then toss the sprouted lentils on salads.
  • lajuice7
    lajuice7 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Green lentil Shepard's Pie

I can't remember the exact recipe off the top of my head but its not very complicated,

Oil Spray
    1 large onion , halved and sliced
    2 large carrots in small cubes/slices
    2 tbsp thyme chopped
    200ml red wine
    400g can chopped tomatoes
    2 vegetable stock cubes
    410g can green lentils
    1tbsp Tomato Puree
    mashed potatoes for the topping (smooth over the top with a fork, making lines as you go, pop in the oven for 20 mins @190C/170C fan)

could top with some cheese, or make sweet potato mash or carrot and swede for a change.

I've amde it a few times and its very tasty. You can reheat for lunches or seconds:)

saving this one, thank you.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I like them cooked like pork & beans. I use a little bit of bacon instead of ham. Yum...

I also like them in burritos with rice and chicken.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Okay - steamed lentils (available at Trader joes)
    Add 1 cup chopped carrots
    1 half chopped onion
    1 stick chopped celery
    1 diced green peper
    1/2 other veggies you love
    1 half cup of Trader Joes Pear Gorgonzola dressing
    Bed of baby spinach
    top with sunflower seads
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Oh and Curried red lentils are great - sautee onion and garlic - add curry powder/spices - lentils and water.

That is what I ate every day when I was in the Peace Corps - well that and a lot of junk food.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    One of my favorite meals is lentils with pasta, topped with parmesan cheese and Sriracha.
  • GraeTaralom
    Options
    Sweet Potato Dal (with red lentils)

Serves 2

1 small sweet potato, skinned and diced into 1/2" cubes
    1 sm. onion, finely chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 to 2 pinches red pepper flakes
    1/4 tsp turmeric
    1/4 tsp garam masala
    1 c vegetable broth (if too thick add up to 1/2 cup more)
    1/2 c. dried red lentils
    4 c. spinach
    salt, to taste

Line a medium pot with a thin layer of water and saute onion and garlic for a minute. Add a pinch or two of red pepper flakes and continue to cook until all the water has cooked off. Add turmeric and 1/4 tsp of garam masala and stir to coat. Add one cup broth and uncooked lentils and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.
    Add sweet potatoes, bring to a boil again and reduce to low and simmer, until lentils are fully cooked (lentils expand and sauce thickens), about 5 minutes more. (This is the time to add additional broth if you don't want it so thick)

Once lentils are cooked and sweet potatoes fork tender, taste. Add more garam masala if desired. Add spinach and continue to cook until spinach wilts and softens. Season with salt to taste and serve.

*Recipe from Everyday Happy Herbivore.

Calorie breakdown of Dal per serving: 232 calories, 0.9g fat, 42.2 carb, 17.7 fiber, 4.7 sugars, and 15.4 protein.

I serve over steamed brown rice- it's good! :smile:
  • lajuice7
    Options
    Sweet Potato Dal (with red lentils)

Serves 2

1 small sweet potato, skinned and diced into 1/2" cubes
    1 sm. onion, finely chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 to 2 pinches red pepper flakes
    1/4 tsp turmeric
    1/4 tsp garam masala
    1 c vegetable broth (if too thick add up to 1/2 cup more)
    1/2 c. dried red lentils
    4 c. spinach
    salt, to taste

Line a medium pot with a thin layer of water and saute onion and garlic for a minute. Add a pinch or two of red pepper flakes and continue to cook until all the water has cooked off. Add turmeric and 1/4 tsp of garam masala and stir to coat. Add one cup broth and uncooked lentils and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.
    Add sweet potatoes, bring to a boil again and reduce to low and simmer, until lentils are fully cooked (lentils expand and sauce thickens), about 5 minutes more. (This is the time to add additional broth if you don't want it so thick)

Once lentils are cooked and sweet potatoes fork tender, taste. Add more garam masala if desired. Add spinach and continue to cook until spinach wilts and softens. Season with salt to taste and serve.

*Recipe from Everyday Happy Herbivore.

Calorie breakdown of Dal per serving: 232 calories, 0.9g fat, 42.2 carb, 17.7 fiber, 4.7 sugars, and 15.4 protein.

I serve over steamed brown rice- it's good! :smile:

Another good one, thank you :-)
  • GraeTaralom
    Options
    Oh and an easy (lazy, lol) way to eat them- I toss 1 c. green lentils and 1 cup wild rice/brown rice blend in rice cooker with a couple low sodium "no-chicken" or vegetable bouillon cubes and just eat that. The lentils cooking with the rice makes it creamy, and the bouillon cubes give flavor.

Makes a few servings, so easy to add to something else the next day- make veggie burgers, add to beans inside corn tortillas, and top with enchilada sauce- easy and tasty enchiladas!
  • lajuice7
    Options

Can't get this link to come up....blank page, no recipe????
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Lentil loaf!! Vegetarian meatloaf, essentially. :) I love making that. Also, lentil burgers or meatballs, which follow the same recipe pretty much, you just shape them differently.

http://www.food.com/recipe/really-good-vegetarian-meatloaf-really-33921

This is one of the recipes I use. It's always fun to play around with lentils!

Yup, I was going to suggest same.....It's good, I usually make some mushroom gravy to go with it
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    These lentil-barley burgers are so good. I gave some to my co-worker and he asked me what kind of meat was in them. He didn't believe me when I said they were vegetarian!!

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/lentil-barley-burgers-with-fiery-fruit-salsa-10000001964003/
  • GraeTaralom
    Options
    You can cook them just like beans, Hispanic style. My husband's favorite meal is rice, lentils, and scrambled eggs on top. He is Colombian and they also eat this dish for breakfast. I sometimes substitute the rice for quinoa for added fiber and protein.

Yum- this ^^ sounds good! I would sub tofu "eggs" for the real ones, but that sounds really good, will have to try that.
  • melameeee
    melameeee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i make them into a a dip for crackers. simmer onion and garlic then add lentils and water with tons of spices. i use: bay leaf, cayenne, black pepper, salt, curry, cumin. boil until soft
  • Valley83
    Valley83 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Saving this for ideas.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I usually find lentils pretty boring, as much as I want to love them, but I love them in these dishes:

In a wrap with mustard and veggies and vegan cheese
    Roasted (spritz cooked lentils with cooking oil of choice, salt and season, and roast for about an hour at 300 degrees, until crispy, shaking the pan every 10 minutes or so. I didn't find that completely necessary though seeing as how I forgot.)
    In a quinoa stuffing. (I don't like quinoa either. But lentils and quinoa with some veggie broth, celery, onion, and sage makes a great stuffing.)
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I adapted a Hungry Girl recipe for Squash-tastic Shepherd's pie (I know shepherd's pie was a frequent mention on this thread) and substituted lentils for the ground turkey (i'm a vegetarian). I've included the adapted recipe here in my blog! It uses mashed butternut squash as the topping. It was DELISH!

http://undercoverdiva-asitcom.blogspot.com/2013/01/gettin-started.html