Gym etiquette for newbies

Options
dirtnap63
dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
Lately I've seen alot of threads about Gyms being overrun by New Years resolutionists, What do I / you hate at the gym, etc. Nothing wrong with those, but I thought we could create a thread to introduce new gym goers to some proper gym etiquette, as often people don't even know they are violating any "code of conduct" if you will. Might help everyone have a better gym experience.
I'll start, and feel free to add.

Wipe down all the equipment you use
Don't curl in the squat rack.

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Re-rack your weights
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Don't squat in the curl rack.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    Just use common sense.

It ain't rocket surgery.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Stay out of my way
    Dont make eye contact with me unless you are female
    Don't look at me in the mirror.
    Stay out of my way.

That should cover it.
  • Webbygail
    Webbygail Posts: 116
    Options
    Don't chit-chat on your cellphone and dilly-dally on any of the machines :E

Oh, and I don't care who you are, how little time you'll be spending there, DON'T LET YOUR KIDS RUN AROUND

download4.gif
  • alicat084
    Options
    Don't wear strong perfume. Yuck!!!!
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    When there are 10 open weight machines, don't follow me around waiting for me to finish on my machine. Go to an empty machine!
  • LeightonSays
    Options
    No staring!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    wipe down your machine after using it!
  • rgohm
    rgohm Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym the other day and the chick on the elliptical machine in front of my treadmill kept rubbing her butt!!! I am a female (straight) for one and two she was rubbing it like she was on a stage dancing for paying customers. I just found it very disturbing. I get it, if you have it flaunt it but maybe, just maybe don't rub it. :huh:
  • whitesox56
    Options
    Oh where to begin.............

~ Strong perfume or cologne. It's a gym, not a nightclub.

~ While on the jogging track, proper etiquette would dictate you do NOT stop in the middle of the track to have a conversation. I used to go to the Bally's in Glendale Heights and these three old dudes would constantly do this. TOTALLY pissed me off. They'd just stop in the middle of the track and have a conversation. On more than one occasion, I nearly plowed into them because I couldn't stop running in time. if you guys want to socalize, there is a Starbucks right next door. :mad:

~ Don't scream while running, talk to yourself or do anything weird. Those members of the Ballys on Cumberland in Chicago know what I'm talking about.

~ While on the subject of Ballys Cumberland, if you see someone trying to get to a locker, move your gym bag away from the said locker and don't threaten me in Russian or whatever Eastern European language you were speaking when I move it after I ask you to and you refuse so I can get to my locker.

~ Again while on the subject of Ballys Cumberland, don't sit on the weight benches talking about the girls you've nailed while other people are waiting. Common courtesy. Do we have a clue here?

~ Wipe down your machines, people. I don't want your sweat all over it.
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Stay out of my way
    Dont make eye contact with me unless you are female
    Don't look at me in the mirror.
    Stay out of my way.

That should cover it.

wow ego much
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Wipe down your equipment
    Re-rack them weights
    Don't stare at me in attempts to impress me- nothing impresses me
    Don't hog the equipment
    Get out of my way
    Don't leave equipment on the floor! (I work at a gym and it's so irritating when people leave a huge mess behind!)
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Don't squat in the curl rack.

Don't squat on the incline bench.
  • RodSuarez
    RodSuarez Posts: 6,309 Member
    Options
    if it is 8am DON'T ****ING TOUCH MY ELLIPTICAL!
  • DreamofGenie2012
    DreamofGenie2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    No staring!

What she said! I try to dress a bit more conservative to prevent this, but huge baggy clothes hinder the workout.
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    wipe down your machine after using it!
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    what's more impressive that how much you can lift ?.... tthe fact that you can re-rack them..
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you are going to an exercise class please do NOT stand right next to me - the class will inevitably involve moving at some point and if I hit you or you hit me I will not be impressed :)

Also for the first few times, probably best to go at the back (but where you can still see the teacher) - don't go right at the front if you don't have a clue what you are doing. You can make your way further forward over the weeks as you get more confident with the steps, that's what I did, and if you can't do the exact move don't worry - as long as you move in the general direction that everyone else is going and don't stand still like a statue you'll be fine.

Oh and yes if the instructor is demonstrating a move, please do not chat to your friend, we want to learn how to do it right so we don't injure ourselves, we don't want to hear chatting...
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Don't steal someone else's stuff they put out for class while they are getting more weights. Go get your own step, mat and tension bands.

Don't leave your cell on during class, put it on vibrate or leave it in your locker.

Wear flip flops in the locker room.

If someone takes time to say hi to you because you are getting on the machine beside them, say hi back. You can then insert your ear buds and ignore them but at least say hi back instead of looking at them like they are nuts. Likewise, if someone asks you a question do them the courtesy of answering even if it is, "sorry, I don't know."

Don't mock others in the gym who are working out. They are there working out so that should count.

Don't smoke directly in front of the entrance of the health club.