Gym etiquette for newbies

Options

Replies

• HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Not reracking and not wiping down equipment have been covered plenty but they are a huge pet peeve of mine. I'm OCD and will rerack again so weights are in order, I can't help it. :/

If you don't know what you are doing just dont, ask first.

Please don't try to intimidate me, snicker and tell me when I'm the only girl in the weight room that I do not belong there bc you'll be sorry when I out lift your *kitten*. Especially as you stand there and shadow box in the mirror with 5lb weights.

And it may come off rude but don't talk to me in the middle of a set. Can't it wait until I'm done?

Edit: Forgot bc I was trying to burn the image from my mind. Gentlemen especially those over 60; compression shorts are suppose to be worn under pants, shorts etc. Please do not feel its appropriate to wear them alone.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    No staring!

Just got to say.....can you really blame them.....
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Don't squat in the curl rack.

Don't squat on the incline bench.

That's my only option.....so I do what I want.
  • nkpham
    nkpham Posts: 6
    Options
    don't talk on your cell in the steam and sauna room
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    No staring!

Just got to say.....can you really blame them.....

I knew it!
    come to bed...right NOW!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    No one is looking at you. Stop worrying about it and focus on your own work. Unless you're hot, in which case, yes people are starting at you but it has nothing to do with the fact that you're new. Get over it.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Don't let loose a protein fart unless you give me ample warning to clear the kill zone.
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    Don't let loose a protein fart unless you give me ample warning to clear the kill zone.

:laugh:
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    When there are five ellipticals free please don't choose the one RIGHT next to me. Like... weird?

When I've just changed the handles and height on the cable machine and turn around to grab my water bottle, don't assume I'm done playing interior designer and it's now free for you to use. You know I was using it, so I'm not buying your douchey "oh I'm sorrrrrryy" smirk.

Don't drag your bench right up to the weight rack so no one can get past. I know you like to be all close up in the mirror, but other people are using that equipment too.

And lastly - be friendly. I know, you're a big tough tank who could snap my neck with his elbow.. but really. Did a "oh sorry" or a "no, I'm not using that" or even a smile ever kill anyone? Sheeeesh!
  • Amatambi
    Options
    I don't mind people talking to me or using machines next to me. But don't try to make a competition of who can do a higher level or faster or anything..
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Don't talk to me in the middle of a set

Don't keep asking how long until I am done with the squat rack. When I leave, then I'm done.

If I ask you to spot me during bench, DON'T LEAVE BEFORE I AM DONE! Happened to me then ended up stuck under the bar. . .
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    When there are five ellipticals free please don't choose the one RIGHT next to me. Like... weird?

well said ..
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    No staring!

I vote MOAR staring! I had a SERIOUSLY bada$$ workout tonight under the watchful eyes of the newfolk.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    If you have evidence of a rash, or a fungus, or a virus, please stay the **** home, thank you.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    No staring!

I vote MOAR staring! I had a SERIOUSLY bada$$ workout tonight under the watchful eyes of the newfolk.

Ha! Awesome.
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you have evidence of a rash, or a fungus, or a virus, please stay the **** home, thank you.

THIS.

Also, if you're snotting and coughing all over the machines, a) go the hell home, you idiot and b) pleeeeeeeease CLEAN THE MACHINE.
  • ChecktheRhyme
    ChecktheRhyme Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Don't talk to me when I'm dying and running out of breath on the treadmill. Man, I'm too polite. :(

I wound up slowing down the machine just to reply to the lady.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    No peeking at my weight when I'm on the scale. In fact, if you see someone looking like they're going to use the scale, step away to give them privacy.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    1) Unless you're some horribly important person who's on call for life or death situations, leave your cell phone in the locker or car. Don't take up a bench/machine/whatever for 10 minutes chatting/texting with your friends, reading your facebook page, etc. while other people are waiting to use said bench/machine/whatever.

2) Bring a towel and use it. Don't leave your sweat all over the equipment. Nobody wants to lay down on a bench in a puddle of your sweat after you're done with it.

3) (Actual experience from the gym tonight:) Don't stack your backpack, two pair of dumbbells, water bottle and towel in the only power cage in the gym, then proceed to hog it for your 20-minute circuit routine in which you're only using it once every 5 minutes. Also - I get that squats were one part of your circuit, but did you really need to do your oblique dumbbell bends and pull-ups in the power cage too?
  • stacimusmax
    stacimusmax Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    No naked sitting in the locker room