Any Believers out there?

Options
13»

Replies

• 13Jools
    13Jools Posts: 10
    Options
    Oh wow that is an awesome one! I will keep that one in my mind when I'm feeling weak. Thank you!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    This text of scripture...wow--:heart::love: :heart: Especially the last part...in bold:

Matthew Chapter 6 (New Living Translation)

24 “No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

25 “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are? 27 Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?

28 “And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, 29 yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. 30 And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?

31 “So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ 32 These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. 33 Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.

34 “So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Whenever I say "The Lord's Prayer" give us this day our daily bread........I add to myself the phrase "and no more" . I think of the mana sent in the dessert and only to gather the amount needed and no more.

Also John 5:5 (at the pool of Bethesda Jesus asks the question) " Do you want to get well ?"

As I had made progress and achieved some of my goals I read Psalm 40 and it brought me to tears thanking the Lord for delivering me from food addiction.

Bless you on your journey!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property." Leviticus 25:44-45

For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.
    Leviticus 20:9

A woman should learn in quietness and full submission I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man, she must be quiet.
    1 Timothy 2:11–12

So? If you really understood the cultural context for those pieces of Scripture, you would not presume to judge. Christ actually came to bring freedom from the darkness that had overtaken the earth. The people of God longed for His advent and once He came, He set a revolution in motion. The fact that the Western nations were blessed beyond understanding is because of the presence of His Church here. As the influence of the Church wanes in the West, darkness encroaches. In light of His love, Christians were prime movers in the abolition of slavery, the beginning of mass public education, building institutions of higher learning, the first feminist movement, building hospitals and establishing charitable institutions. He truly IS "the light of the world".

Right, so, Christ led the way for the feminist movement? I thought that happened because women were tired of learning quietness and full submission to men. And last time I read a history textbook or turned on the news, the influence of the Church was leading to things like the Crusades, the Inquisition, and denying the LGBT community rights.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property." Leviticus 25:44-45

For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.
    Leviticus 20:9

A woman should learn in quietness and full submission I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man, she must be quiet.
    1 Timothy 2:11–12

So? If you really understood the cultural context for those pieces of Scripture, you would not presume to judge. Christ actually came to bring freedom from the darkness that had overtaken the earth. The people of God longed for His advent and once He came, He set a revolution in motion. The fact that the Western nations were blessed beyond understanding is because of the presence of His Church here. As the influence of the Church wanes in the West, darkness encroaches. In light of His love, Christians were prime movers in the abolition of slavery, the beginning of mass public education, building institutions of higher learning, the first feminist movement, building hospitals and establishing charitable institutions. He truly IS "the light of the world".

But these are passages that inspire him on his journey! Isn't that what this post is about?
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I stopped believing

I wasn't supposed to, but I did.
    I'll pray for you anyway!
  • LennyInFlorida
    Options
    I only lost my weight because HE helped me.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    It's a toss up....

Numbers 25:4
    And the LORD said unto Moses, Take all the heads of the people, and hang them up before the LORD against the sun, that the fierce anger of the LORD may be turned away from Israel. -
    :drinker:

:tongue: ----This has to do with the fact that the children of Israel had fallen into grievous sin. God is, in this passage, telling Moses to seize the ringleaders and execute them as a warning to the rest. They had been told, in advance, that they could only remain alive in the Land if they obeyed God. The children of Israel demonstrated that only a God of love could save them from themselves---He sent them a Savior when they utterly failed in keeping His Law.

2 Kings 2:23-25
    23 Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!” 24 When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads.

:tongue:---They were rowdy (the Hebrew actually indicates "worthless") youths and were mocking a great prophet of God, whom He had chosen to honor. No doubt you have seen some teenagers who could use the Elijah treatment. I believe that incidents like this were for the purpose of "putting the fear of God" into the people.

2 Chronicles:13
    That whosoever would not seek the LORD God of Israel
    should be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman.

:tongue: ---Again, they knew what the rules of staying alive in the Land were--they chose to disobey.
    Ezekiel 9:6 "Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women .

Remember GOD IS LOVE
    1 John 4:8

God IS love. Only a God of love would send His very own innocent Son to pay for the crimes of those who would claim His protection from damnation. But He is also a God of justice. No one will be able to say at the Last Judgment that God is unjust. He has made every effort to save--the rest is up to mankind---accept or reject the Gift, but do not presume to judge the Judge of the whole Earth.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I am going to move this topic into chit-chat and lock the topic. The original poster has received a significant amount of feedback and the conversations can continue via personal messaging or within a group.

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    MFP Staff
This discussion has been closed.