Only consuming 500 calories and day and hit a plataue.

Options
Starting off, I have to say that I know that eating only 500 calories is very bad for you. It has become a mental things now of where if I eat more than that, I hate myself. I feel like a failure and so bloated and fat.

Well, I have lost a total of 51 pounds over a 8 month period. (Only 17 since I joined this site) Before Christmas, I hit a plataue at 140. I was stuck there about 2 weeks. On Christmas day, I threw my diet out the window. I ate like crazy. I just didn't care. Then the next day I stepped on the scale and noticed I had lost a pound. I went back on my 500 calorie diet and continued to lose weight. About 4 more pounds in a week and a half.

Well, Here I am today, about 2 weeks later and still stuck on the same weight that I was after that week and a half ended. I have hit another plataue.
Most people would just easily say "Go crazy again. Eat all you want." but the thing is, I can't. Today I consumed about 1200 calories, and I feel horrible. I feel as if I gained 40000 pounds.

I just don't know what to do at this point. I am stuck between going back to my 500 calorie a day diet, and being stuck at that weight again. (And hate myself) or force myself to eat 1000+ calories again tomorrow (and feel fat and hate myself.)
It is like either way I loose.

Does anybody know why the drastic increase in calories for that one day made me loose 4-5 pounds? I just can't force myself to go crazy again because it is no special occasion, and I fear that Christmas was just a one time thing and if I go crazy, It will just make me gain weight.

Replies

• jessiew0
    jessiew0 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sorry girl but you are starving yourself!!! Too few calories will slow your metabolism and there is no way you are getting the nutrition you need. I hope you are going to therapy of some sort because this almost seems anorexic to me . You will get better results if you eat more not less - maybe go to a nutritionist ?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You need to see a doctor.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Starting off, I have to say that I know that eating only 500 calories is very bad for you. It has become a mental things now of where if I eat more than that, I hate myself. I feel like a failure and so bloated and fat.

Well, I have lost a total of 51 pounds over a 8 month period. (Only 17 since I joined this site) Before Christmas, I hit a plataue at 140. I was stuck there about 2 weeks. On Christmas day, I threw my diet out the window. I ate like crazy. I just didn't care. Then the next day I stepped on the scale and noticed I had lost a pound. I went back on my 500 calorie diet and continued to lose weight. About 4 more pounds in a week and a half.

Well, Here I am today, about 2 weeks later and still stuck on the same weight that I was after that week and a half ended. I have hit another plataue.
    Most people would just easily say "Go crazy again. Eat all you want." but the thing is, I can't. Today I consumed about 1200 calories, and I feel horrible. I feel as if I gained 40000 pounds.

I just don't know what to do at this point. I am stuck between going back to my 500 calorie a day diet, and being stuck at that weight again. (And hate myself) or force myself to eat 1000+ calories again tomorrow (and feel fat and hate myself.)

Does anybody know why the drastic increase in calories for that one day made me loose 4-5 pounds? I just can't force myself to go crazy again because it is no special occasion, and I fear that Christmas was just a one time thing and if I go crazy, It will just make me gain weight.

Seek professional help
  • aud085
    aud085 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why it works, but I think it has to do with confusing your metabolism. Weight Watchers forums used to be full of post where people did this on purpose and it was proven over and over again that it indeed works. I think they called it the Wendy diet or something like that, although not sure where the name came from either. You can search the post there though for more information
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Get help, and not on losing weight.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    *kitten*, i'd die on 500 calories a day (which I wouldn't doubt what you are doing to yourself). You lost most weight when you ate more because your body was able to fuel its self. I eat 2000 cals a day a losing lots of body fat.

I suggest seeing a Dr, dietitian and a shrink.
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Seems as though you have a mental issue you might want to work out with a therapist.. sorry not trying to be rude but its unhealthy and one day you will regret eating that low of calories.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Posts like this are so concerning to me! Talk to a therapist. What you've described does not sound healthy or sustainable (both mentally and physically).
  • NicoleBecca
    Options
    When you don't eat enough your body thinks its straving and starts to store everything you do eat as fat. I would advise you do some research or speak to a doctor or nutritionalist. Best of luck :)
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    You're 18 (if that). You're still growing. You need to seek a doctor or ask your parents for help. It sounds to me like you have an eating disorder.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You are talking like a person with an ED. You seem to have disordered thinking when it comes to food and that is what needs to be addressed. Your body has plateaud because you aren't eating enough. You need to seek professional help from someone a lot more qualified than anyone here will be and also a qualified dietician who will be able to explain to you about proper nutrition. You already know that eating so little isn't right, now you need to talk to someone about it. Get help.
  • cocoqt
    cocoqt Posts: 4
    Options
    I really hope you don't take offense to this, but it sounds to me as though you're developing (or possibly already have) an eating disorder. Starvation (500 calories a day is EXTREME) followed by binge eating, coupled with a distorted self-image can't be healthy.

Just curious, but how much more weight do you want to lose? How tall are you? What did you do to lose the 51 pounds? 51 pounds over 8 months is actually pretty respectable rate of weight loss.

To answer your question, my guess would be that binge eating for one day after eating 500 calories a day would not cause you to lose weight.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to a doctor! Your first sentence screams eating disorder. Go see a doctor before you do any permanent damage. Please! :frown:
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    Please increase your calories and seek help The damage you are causing to your body is only going to make you more unhealthy. PLEASE EAT!!!
  • Seahawk27
    Options
    Seek professional help, seriously.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You need to see your doctor immediately. Let him know what you've been doing so he/she can run tests to see what the damage is internally and how bad (if any).

Ask your doctor if he/she has any recommendations for a counselor or psychiatrist. If not, you'll need to do your own research. Make an appointment asap and get help.

If able, see about also including a nutritionist to work with both your doctor and psychiatrist/counselor.

Let your family and close friends know what is going on and see if they can help you overcome this - whether by giving you some tough love, emotional support, or even maybe looking for the above professionals you need to see.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Seek professional help

This.
    It is fairly obvious you have fallen into an eating disorder, complete with the irrational fears and unhealthy patterns of behaviour.
    I suggest help now unless you wish to lose endless years battling this, messing up your health in the process.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why it works, but I think it has to do with confusing your metabolism. Weight Watchers forums used to be full of post where people did this on purpose and it was proven over and over again that it indeed works. I think they called it the Wendy diet or something like that, although not sure where the name came from either. You can search the post there though for more information

No..just no. Eating at 500 is dangerous and anything that low should only be done under a doctor's supervision. DO NOT even try to support this. This is wrong.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

I just don't know what to do at this point.

See a doctor
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Please seek professional help like numerous people have told you. It's unfortunate that so many people try to starve themselves because they think they can't actually "eat good" and still lose weight. Please go get help..Best of luck to you.
This discussion has been closed.