When do you log?

Options
I log my food as I'm making it at home, but I know some people do it the day before, and some at the end of the day?
WhT do you do and how is it helpful? :)

Replies

• bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I log my exercise and breakfast just after I eat in the morning. I'll also sort of plan out the rest of the day just to get a general idea of what my food diary will look like. Doing it that way has also helped me stay on track with the actual diet.
  • Louiseisme
    Options
    I usually log as I go, sometimes if I am packing up leftovers for lunch the next day i will go ahead and log it for tomorrow so I don't forget something. If I am eating out I will browse and log before I order so that I stick to what I logged (ie. 1/2 and entree).
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I normally figure out most of my food the night before. Sometimes I will have a few 100 that I need to allocate during the day, then I do it as I eat. But my main meals and most of my snacks are pre-planned. I find this extremely effective.

Edit:

Why is it effective? because it helps me get a good idea of what I will get to eat the next day, and I can time appropriately to minimize any hunger. Its also good at keeping me under my calorie goal because I will shift things around and make different choices when I see it all laid out at the same time.
  • sonhando
    sonhando Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I log most of it the day before. It helps me plan the day and not stray from it. Dinner may be left blank but I find having breakfast and lunch and snacks logged and knowing what's left for dinner helps a lot. Especially in my office where daily temptations are ever present.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I log as I go!
  • joslin2005
    Options
    I log it right before or right after I eat my food.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I log the night before based on what I have available in my mini fridge (I live on res at university)
    It works for me and I've ended up making some pretty interesting food combos hahaha
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I log as I'm eating. If we've got a firm agreement on what to eat, then I'll log ahead of time but even that changes. Last night we were supposed to have meatloaf, but hubby wanted pizza.
  • frecklegrrl
    Options
    I log food as I eat/make it. (:
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I try to plan out the next day, but it almost always gets changed, but I have at least an idea. :)
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I log in the mornings after I have packed my lunch and snacks for the day. I usually leave dinner blank unless I know what I'm eating (like leftovers). This helps me because I don't want to have to log back in, so I don't eat that late night snack, or that piece of cake in the kitchen at work!
  • katiewcurlz
    Options
    If I'm cooking a lot and have recipes to add, or lots of ingredients to add, I'll do it the day before. If I'm not cooking, or eating lots of salads, etc. I just log as I go.

I've found (for myself anyway), that if I'm going to spend significant time on MFP logging stuff, I know I have to do it before. If I try to log as I go, I'll get behind and lose my will to keep logging.
  • agtitus
    agtitus Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Logging the night before has done wonders for me!it keeps me from mindlessly snacking because I know what I have to look forward to each meal. My issue currently is getting enough cals. :/
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I usually log my food as I go during the early part of the day. If I am eating at home I found that it helps if I log the latter part before I actually eat. That way I tend to stick to what I logged and not overeat or include extras.
  • ksemien
    ksemien Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Throughout the day, as I eat. I eat quite a few meals, so it helps me to track as I go and not have to try and remember.
  • midnight333
    Options
    I do pre logging. I try to pre log as much in advance as I can, usually a week. I'm glad to do it this way then my calories are planned at the amount I'm given. If I change anything that day I can keep it within the parameters already in the diary for that day. It has helped me loose weight at a steady rate more so then when I first started. Good luck with your logging. :happy:
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    all day long in real time.
  • htimsm87
    htimsm87 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    With the Windows Phone mobile app I have been logging as soon as I eat something. Makes me think about everything before you eat it. Had two peanut M&M's the other day and logged them as soon as they were gone.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I log while I am making it so I can use the bar code scanner on the app or enter my food scale weights. Sometimes I prelog because I eat the same thing normally every morning.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    All day so I don't forget anything!