Travelling Alone

Options
2»

Replies

• Frankie3333
    Frankie3333 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I traveled all over Southeast Asia by myself. Some rules that I made for myself were:
    1. never accept a drink bought by a stranger
    2. keep alcoholic beverages to a minimum (you are girl that is alone)
    3. never tell anyone that you are traveling alone. I would lie and make up elaborate stories. i had so much fun with this
    4. never invite anyone back to your hotel room
    5. never tell anyone you meet where you are staying
    6. Always lock the door where you are staying
    7. I tried to let my parents or someone close to me know where I was (i have to admit sometimes i just wanted to be off the grid)

Ok, it sounds like I didn't have fun at all but I had a blast. When I was in Thailand, I would do an excursion almost every day and meet amazing people. In Bali, I went to a detox spa and did yoga twice a day while juicing and was 10 feet from the ocean. I didn't spend a lot of time drinking at bars so I was able to get up with the sun and take a morning walk on the beach (woo-hoo for no hangover)!

Be careful, eat amazing food, explore everything, and trust your gut!!!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'm DYING to go to Italy and I've had the opportunity twice now, still do really, but I can't bring myself to travel to a foreign country alone.

Bravo to you for being brave and don't get TAKEN!
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here! I have nothing to add other than enjoy!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I traveled alone in Italy two summers ago, by train. I went all over, looks like everyone covered the basics so if you have any specific questions feel free to ask or PM me!

and you MUST MUST MUST Visit Cinque Terre, even if it's only a daytrip.
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I travelled alone to Europe and UK and I never had a problem.

But that's because I probably looked 'paranoid' and no one gave me a problem.

I absolutely loved Italy, I travelled there for 6 weeks all up and the only thing I would say is if you go to Naples, be very careful where you go. I thought it was a bit of a creepy town, but that's only because I was told bad things about it.

I loved everything about Italy. I guess the only thing I would say (and just reiterating everyone else) is watch your belongings like a hawk and have your passport under your shirt.
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I traveled alone for over a month, throughout Europe, when I was 22.

I went to Italy, Portugal, Spain and France. I really didn't have any issues in Spain since I speak Spanish fluently but I don't know any French or Italian so I resorted to English and most of the time and I found that I was able to communicate with people (most people knew some English) for the most part.
    Take the same precautions you would at home. Go prepared. Do you research. Study train maps/schedules and how you plan on getting around. Make sure to always carry your passport with you and make sure to keep copies of your documents in your luggage in case you lose your purse.

Since I was alone, I never went out after dark. As the sun was setting I always made my way back to the hotel to avoid any potential problems.

I also scheduled a lot of tours in Portugal and was able to see most of the country accompanied by groups, same for France.
    In Spain a vehicle was rented and I covered 80% of the country.

Traveling alone has it's benefits.
  • AmericanExpat
    AmericanExpat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I moved to Europe last year by myself for work and travel on my own frequently.

A few pieces of advice... tours are excellent, I always set up tours using viator or city discovery before I go somewhere, but I would also recommend leaving a bit of time to explore the city on your own as this is the best way to really experience the culture.

It is very helpful to know a few key phrases in the language where you are visiting, but in reality i have lived here for almost a year and still only know English.. .yes i know typical American :) I am learning French, but I am still not comfortable really conversing with someone.

Be smart, and aware of your surroundings. I have very rarely felt unsafe when I have visited places and I have been to Prague, Italy, Greece, Belgium, Switzerland, Paris all on my own. Plan ahead, be aware and I also agree when on my own I head back to the hotel pretty early and don't stay out on my own much when its dark.

Most of all have a WONDERFUL time.. Italy is a beautiful country and the food is amazing.. enjoy the experience!