Help with selecting a suit. Please.

Options
13»

Replies

• notreallytrillian
    notreallytrillian Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    thrift stores in or near affluent areas and then get it tailored to fit you perfectly. you will spend a quarter of the cost and look like a million bucks.

This is a great option. I work in recruiting and we ALWAYS expect a suit, no matter the level of position you are applying for. K&G is also an option. Kohls also has some great deals in their online clearance section - their online store always has WAY more options than their store does for men. Select a dark color like black or navy blue. Stay away from pinstripes - they distract some people in interviews. I also suggest you wear a nice blue tie and a white dress shirt or a nice blue dress shirt and a nice red tie.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I you have a Burlington Coat Factory near you go there cheapest place I have found nice suits.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    When I was interviewing, I always wore a grey suit, white shirt and maroon tie with a conservative pattern.
    You want to look sharp without looking distracting.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    How confident are you that you can get a job from this?...here's why I ask.

Nordstrom has a very easy credit card application process. You just type in your annual household income and ssn on their keypad and whamo you're approved. Then they have free tailoring on anything you buy there up to 100 dollars (worth of tailoring). They were having a men's sale unsure if it's still going on. I mean if you think you can pay off a suit it might be o.k. to get their card for now.

OTHERWISE

My hubby gets his things tailored at the cleaners and he looks SHARP! Compared to other guys wearing the EXACT same thing my hubby sticks out like a sore thumb looks larger than life and his look commands respect. I drool when I see him in work gear but when I see some of the other guys they look like a slouch, literally their clothes are slouchy and it says a lot.

You may only be suspecting that your wife will take issue with this, if she really does take her with you when you shop at Nordstrom, even if you decide not to buy there and it's only window shopping she will definitely notice the difference of a well tailored suit versus not when you are dressing up in different fits and she sees the workers in their suits.

One final idea? You said you already had a shirt and tie interview, is it possible to buy just the suit jacket in a color that meshes with the trousers you must already have and the shirt and tie? If you look at the label of the pants you may be able to go online and see if there is a jacket that belongs with it or find something coordinating at a visit to Nordstrom or Men's Wearhouse or some other fully stocked suit place.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Tailoring is a must! It will make a $200 suit look like you spent twice as much. Plus, if it is tailored well you will feel more confidnet and it will show. I'd go for a blue suit, white shirt--because their is a reason they are called white-collar jobs and brown shoes. Don't do black shoes if you go with a white shirt.

this.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    How confident are you that you can get a job from this?...here's why I ask.

Nordstrom has a very easy credit card application process. You just type in your annual household income and ssn on their keypad and whamo you're approved. Then they have free tailoring on anything you buy there up to 100 dollars (worth of tailoring). They were having a men's sale unsure if it's still going on. I mean if you think you can pay off a suit it might be o.k. to get their card for now.

OTHERWISE

My hubby gets his things tailored at the cleaners and he looks SHARP! Compared to other guys wearing the EXACT same thing my hubby sticks out like a sore thumb looks larger than life and his look commands respect. I drool when I see him in work gear but when I see some of the other guys they look like a slouch, literally their clothes are slouchy and it says a lot.

You may only be suspecting that your wife will take issue with this, if she really does take her with you when you shop at Nordstrom, even if you decide not to buy there and it's only window shopping she will definitely notice the difference of a well tailored suit versus not when you are dressing up in different fits and she sees the workers in their suits.

One final idea? You said you already had a shirt and tie interview, is it possible to buy just the suit jacket in a color that meshes with the trousers you must already have and the shirt and tie? If you look at the label of the pants you may be able to go online and see if there is a jacket that belongs with it or find something coordinating at a visit to Nordstrom or Men's Wearhouse or some other fully stocked suit place.

and this.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    I'd just go to Men's Warehouse, get a $200 suit and get it tailored. You MUST get it fitted and tailored. Men without tailored suits stick out like a sore thumb...it's obvious and makes a bad impression. A cheap suit can look good if it fits well. The guys there can size you etc.

Interview suits should be charcoal. Maybe dark blue. Never dark black, you are not an FBI agent or attending a funeral. No light colored suits.

This.....just this.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    +1 for a tailored suit. Really you don't want to be seen with just any sIut off the rack
    Any slut off the rack? are there tailor made sluts? because I'd like to order one for my cousin. he seems kind of kinky, just judging by his jokes.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    Don't know if you want to spend the $ but Hugo Boss makes a fantastic navy 2 button suit that will work for years. Very basic but good for all occasions. http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Hugo-Boss-Basic-Two-Button-Suit-Navy/prod145550042/?ecid=NMCIGoogleProductAds&ci_sku=prod145550042skuNAVY&ci_gpa=pla
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I'd just go to Men's Warehouse, get a $200 suit and get it tailored. You MUST get it fitted and tailored. Men without tailored suits stick out like a sore thumb...it's obvious and makes a bad impression. A cheap suit can look good if it fits well. The guys there can size you etc.

Interview suits should be charcoal. Maybe dark blue. Never dark black, you are not an FBI agent or attending a funeral. No light colored suits.

This for sure. Tailoring can take time so make sure you account for that.

^Again this. The suit has to fit correctly. I'd rather have an inexpensive suit that fits correctly than an expensive one made out of great fabric that fits poorly. For interviews you are allowed either navy blue or charcoal grey. Subtle patterns are fine and almost expected. Use a white shirt (yes its old school but for interviews its still best) and either buttons or cuff links are fine. Wear a subtlety patterned tie in a subdued color and shade. Wear a white undershirt. Do not use tie chains, etc. Wear black oxford cap toe shoes and use over the calf black socks.

Sure you can vary this but you always run the risk that the interviewer doesn't like what you're wearing if you do. I love boldly patterned shirts but never wear them at interviews or important meetings. Now I'll also say don't be cheap. If Men's Warehouse is all you can afford, and for a first job, that's fine. But you will be judged on what you're wearing. Its more important in some industries than others but it does matter.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    HaHa, my wife is gonna freak out. I definitely want to be judged on my skills and knowledge, not how I look. FYI, I will be entering the Clinical Engineering field.

You WILL be judged on how you look in an interview, regardless of field. Know that going in. Looking great won't get you the job, but looking bad will cost you the job.

And I second the comment about the shoes. Invest in a nice pair of black oxfords - they'll match either a black or blue suit.
    Abso-freaking-lutely! What he said!
  • macantrell
    macantrell Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    1. Joseph A Banks always has coupons. Dont go on one of the few days suits are not on sale.
    2. Pay attention to the shirt. Long sleeves. Never Short Sleeves. White. Possibly Light Blue. No colors, no blue shirt with white colars. The tailored look has been mentioned several times. To me 1/2 of shirt sleeve peeking past suit jacket sleeve is very important.
    3. Long socks. Pants will ride up. You do not want to show calf skin when you cross your legs.
    4. Shoes are important. Black, cap toe lace up.

My husband wears a dress clothes every single day to work and suits often. The nice thing about Macy's or JCPenny is the sales associate will help to fit you. It is a preferance like any other clothes, you will know when you have the right suit on.
    I agree with the above mentioned, EXCEPT I would only go a black for the first suit. It looks sharp and it is a winter color. Navy to me is more casual. Just changing the tie completely changes the look too. Also, a suit doesn't not mean it must have a vest but is a nice option to again give a differnt look. For sure long sleeves and white dress shirt. Shirt also come fitted look at all your option there too. A suit will last you a very long time and can be altered if you are still on your weight loss journey. You are going to do great!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Just found a Jos A Bank less than 10 miles from me. Yeaaa

Jos A Bank is fine. Their suits are conservative and their focus business oriented while maintaining reasonable prices. They'll usually steer you right and they also carry shoes that are of good quality.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Do NOT go to Joseph A Banks. Do NOT go to a thrift store.
    Go To Men's Wearhouse.

Get a very nice shirt and tie also.

Two button jacket.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Do you have a K&G? My husband got his suit, and they do alterations as well very inexpensive. They usually have a 2 for 1 sale.
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    What everyone else has said - Mens Warehouse and get it fitted.

Better yet, ask their advise regarding colors, accessories and especially shoe style and color to complement your purchase........

I have several MW suits and several others that I have purchased along the way - every one is tailored and every one is a couple of sizes too big now.

**sigh**

A decent suit is often totally spoilt by the wrong shirt, tie or even belt and, erm, other personal grooming :)

For an interview - a real one ?

I guess it depends on the position you are looking for, but.....

Grey suit
    White Shirt
    Black Belt
    Black dress shoes
    (Stainless watch with stainless / black strap)
    Conservative tie
    - not a comedy kipper / Disney thing
    - darker colors, stripes - not spots, not yellow
    Black socks

clean, freshly cut hair, neat (or better no) facial hair, CLEAN, short finger nails.

Also - no bulging pockets, leave your cell phone behind......
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I truly do appreciate all these great responses. I feel like I have plenty of ideas to go with now thanks to ya'll.