How come men can loose so easy

Options
My husband and i weighed on Monday then again today he lost 3 lbs I gained 2 I have stayed under my calorie count every day and was projected to loose 15 lbs in 5 weeks according too it so much for that. He doesn't count calories and ate 1/2 bag of Cheetos and 2 swiss rolls last night. We have both started walking and I think it is helping him getting a work out and being more active. However why is it not working for me?

Replies

• jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so you can get some better advice.

And you can't compare your weight loss to his (or anybody else) because your bodies are completely different.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    we are just a better....end of topic lol (jk of course)
  • Ailorn
    Ailorn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I believe there are many different factors for why men lose weight faster than women. They typically have more muscle which eats more calories. Men's hormones promote building muscle. People who are more over weight than their set point can sometimes lose faster than people closer to their ideal weight. His job might lead him to be more active in general. Maybe he doesnt have the same cravings for carbs/sugars. I dont know which or if any of these apply. Dont get discouraged hon. Typically change that happens slower is more likely to stick. It isnt so much the number but how you feel and think about yourself. Sometimes when women put on musle from exercise the number goes up but you look and feel different.
  • freya1331
    freya1331 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How do you open diary I don't even see that?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    He probably didn't actually lose 3 Lbs of body fat. To do so in a week would mean that he would have had to been at a 1,500 calorie deficit from TDEE every day. For me that would mean eating about 1,000 calories net which I could never do...a.) completely unhealthy and about 900 calories below my BMR and b.) I'd kill somebody I'd be so hungry.

More likely than not, both of your changes are due to water. One week isn't really a good measure of what is really happening. When you do your weigh in, make sure it's the same time of day and under the same conditions. I can easily flux a couple of pounds in a given day with just water retention and water release. If your diet is high in sodium, you will most likely retain more water...I never weigh myself the day after I've had a saltier day than usual or when my muscles are sore.
  • LMP18
    LMP18 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    we are just a better....end of topic lol (jk of course)

Debatable :noway:
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    To open diary go to setting>diary settings> make diary public
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I believe there are many different factors for why men lose weight faster than women. They typically have more muscle which eats more calories. Men's hormones promote building muscle. People who are more over weight than their set point can sometimes lose faster than people closer to their ideal weight. His job might lead him to be more active in general. Maybe he doesnt have the same cravings for carbs/sugars. I dont know which or if any of these apply. Dont get discouraged hon. Typically change that happens slower is more likely to stick. It isnt so much the number but how you feel and think about yourself. Sometimes when women put on musle from exercise the number goes up but you look and feel different.

^^ I agree with this. Their LBM and hormones are different. Don't compare yourself to him. Just try to work on you. :flowerforyou:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    It's the culture we live in. Guys are praised for being loose, while girls are considered immoral or promiscuous for being loose.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Don't compare yourself to anyone else. Men can lose faster... they have more muscle mass and normally a faster metabolism. Don't compare yourself to him and don't follow his eating habits.

Weight naturally fluctuates. As a women there are so many things that can cause our weights to go up or down. One week also isn't the proper time frame to judge if what you are doing is working or not.

Your husband can lose weight by eating cheetos and swiss rolls as long as he is under his TDEE... however I can almost guarantee that he didn't lose 3lbs of fat.

Focus on yourself and no one else.
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Because we sexy beasts!! Duh!!
    :P:P
    30003294.jpg
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    eh+somewhat+related+_7dd120fb0bf509b994ac7bd8fa87c7dd.jpg
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    15 lbs in 5 weeks is faster than MFP recommends. My guess is you aren't eating enough. If you open your diary you may be able to get some real insight.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    It's the culture we live in. Guys are praised for being loose, while girls are considered immoral or promiscuous for being loose.

Bahahahahaha :laugh:
  • cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Part of it is because of gender - hormones, body composition, etc. Body weight is a huge factor. The heavier a person is, the higher their TDEE is. It's actually not that hard for a big guy to have a 1,500 cal/day deficit. I did it when I was bigger, TDEE was about 2900 and intake was about 1400. Probably not healthy and I would definitely not recommend it, but weight (fat and some muscle) burned of fast. I had an average loss of 3 pounds / week for months, no way that was water weight.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    My husband and i weighed on Monday then again today he lost 3 lbs I gained 2 I have stayed under my calorie count every day and was projected to loose 15 lbs in 5 weeks according too it so much for that. He doesn't count calories and ate 1/2 bag of Cheetos and 2 swiss rolls last night. We have both started walking and I think it is helping him getting a work out and being more active. However why is it not working for me?

It is MUCH easier for men to go into calorie-deficit than women. They typically have a higher LBM (lean body mass) than do women. Consequently, a man's calorie requirement when he's just sitting on the couch may be higher than his wife's when she is out walking the dog. When you add the influence of hormones (estrogen is a "fat hoarding" hormone) men win in the fat-burn category just about all the time. Not pleasant news but there it is.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    In my experience it's women who are described as loose
  • PottsvilleCurse1925
    PottsvilleCurse1925 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I've seen some pretty loose female parts.
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Most men burn more because they are bigger, bigger people burn more. They also have more muscle. Muscle burns fat. So there you have it. If you want to burn more, get some more muscle!!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    The answer is testosterone. You can get some if you want, but it comes with facial hair and a deepening voice, OH, and the potential to get bulky. So..............