Anyone else at a desk all day?

Options
Wondering what I can do to not want to snack or sleep. I walk on my breaks then im back behind the desk. Any suggestions? :laugh: Desk Workouts? Anything?

Replies

• jeddyhhi
    Options
    I do set of stretcheing exercise to help keep me awake
  • cllovesdw4eva
    Options
    Keep drinking lots of water. Trust me, you wont be quite as sedentary then. Its definitely working for me.
  • seskovich
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with a healthy snack. Although my goals aren't to loose weight, but to gain and build muscle, the same principles apply. I keep a little can of peanuts and almonds at my desk. When people hear the word snack that think of sweet things, but there are plenty of healthy choices for snacks out there. If you really don't want to eat any snacks though, maybe try chewing some gum or something of that nature. Walking around is fine during the day too.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Post on fitness forums
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Post on fitness forums

Yup

...drink water...post on forum...pee.

Repeat cycle.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Get enough sleep at night. Honestly, that will help with both issues. There have been a few studies that have shown when your tired from lack of sleep it can actually lead to a slowing of adrenal activity which in a round-a-bout way can actually cause you to crave sugar/carbs. If you aren't already you might also want to consider keeping a large container of water to drink. When you start feeling a craving, try drinking a cup or two of water first. Wait 20 minutes and see if you're hungry then. A lot of times we mistake being thirsty for being hungry.

I know some people who have replaced their office chair with a stability ball. I don't really buy into it doing much from a strengthening perspective but it sure would force you to stay awake. :)

Beyond that I really can't help too much. I do have a desk job but I work from home and I have a couch in my office. So if I need to I can take a short cat nap in the middle of the day :)
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I have a headset, so I pace my office while on conference calls. You can also stand for a while, sit and hold your legs out from your desk, do muscle clentches, etc.. Google "desk workouts" and find lots of good ideas on WebMD, About.com, and others.
  • Blessedallover
    Options
    I drink lots and lots of water all day....Sometimes so much I feel as though I'm going to float away. When making copies, faxing etc. I sometimes walk to the office next door. If you begin to feel like snacking, drink some water, you may find that you are simply thirsty. I eat my lunch at my desk, while working and during my lunch, I only get 30 minutes, I use that time to walk. We have a floor where you can walk 8 laps = 1 mile. I also listen to Pandora and sometimes when a great song comes on I get up and dance!! Good Luck!!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Lots of water is the standard response. Works great for me. I also will stretch out my legs and I have a hand grips (replaced my stress ball so I could have some extra resistance). Other than that, getting sleep is key. When I don't get enough sleep, I go out to my car at lunch and take a 15 minute power nap...usually helps me a lot.

If you want actual exercises, just Google it. There are a handful of websites with exercises...some more practical than others.
  • christinekry
    christinekry Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've been at a desk job for 8 years. Once you get used to not snacking, you really don't think about it. Water helps but I am usually too distracted to remember it is there. Cough drops keep me from wanting to snack because the taste doesn't mix well with food. Mostly though, you just have to get used to not doing it.
  • Ken_Roper
    Ken_Roper Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I walk during lunch and eat a very light lunch. Sugar free chewing gum is helpful as is lots of water. Stay occupied. I have found that boredom is one of my enemies -- I always want to eat when bored.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I bring health snacks - usually fruit. I have a snack at 10 a.m., lunch at noon, a snack at 3 p.m. I also drink lots of water during the afternoon. (I drink coffee in the morning.) I get up and walk whenever I can. Our printer/copier is in another room, so a good excuse to get up and walk around.

My husband built his desk on a platform so he stands most of the day. He brought in a stool for when he needs to rest. He feels better when he's not sitting so much.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I get up and walk around about once an hour to refill water, make tea or pee. I drink a lot of water and tea (green and peppermint are my current favorites). I make sure the only snacks available at my desk are healthy like clementines, apples, celery, almonds, etc. The trick is avoiding the unhealthy goodies my coworkers bring in to share. I don't let it drive me crazy though. If I want something, I'll just have a small portion and not go back for seconds. If I find myself losing motivation, I come to MFP and browse the forums for a couple minutes then get back to work.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I survive on green tea and vegetables to snack on. I also drink LOTS of water with a scootch of lemon juice in it. My eyes roll in the back of my head every day but that's because my job is boring as hell.
  • Djbass728
    Djbass728 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and the times I find myself getting sleepy (or cold - this darn office is NEVER warm) I go to the ladies bathroom and do about 50 jumping jacks. I keep a pair of comfy slip on sneakers under the cabinet and slip them on when I need to warm-up/wake-up.......lots of great ideas posted on this thread today - I enjoyed reading it........good luck!!!! Donna
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    YUp. I have a big 24oz water bottle that I try to fill up every hour or two and I get up and make some tea or coffee if I'm hungry. Bring some healthy snacks to snack on if you're legit hungry though! AND make sure to eat a healthy filling lunch and breakfast so you won't be snacking too much!

p.s. try to stay busy and productive at work! when i'm just being a slacker or bored .... I have more time to think about mindless snacking ...
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i sit at a desk all day, but i stretch all the time, i hop up and trot (not walk) to the fax and copier and bathroom every chance i get. I eat ALL day. i have my pre-planned breakfast, lunch, salad, power bar, snack, fruit, coffee and water at my desk and continuously graze through them for the whole day. I make sure my lunch hour is active, either at the gym or power walking.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Drink unsweetened tea. Or snack, on veggies. hidden valley ranch makes a packet of dip mix that mixes well into plain greek yogurt, crunch those veggies! Bell pepper strips, green beans, baby carrots, cut yellow squash and zucchini into sticks, etc.
  • notreallytrillian
    notreallytrillian Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't keep snacks at my desk. I find I unconciously munch on them when I am bored or frustrated. Instead I keep sugar free gum at my desk. If I find I want to snack then I'll drink a big glass of water. If I still want to snack then I'll have some gum. This usually satisfies me until my next meal. If I DO snack, I make sure I'm snacking because I'm hungry and not because I'm bored or frustrated. Good luck!