Anyone else at a desk all day?

Options

Replies

• vidoardes
    vidoardes Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    AHve to agree with the water thing, I work at a desk for 8 hours a day, and I go for a 2 1/2 mile walk at lunch but other than I am chained to my computer (I am a programmer). Without wishing to give too much away, I have been to the loo 4 times today! I find I don't normally need to snack, but having a healthy snack to nibble on (like nuts) is great too.
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Dink lots of water and hot tea.
  • cassiegal724
    cassiegal724 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Post on fitness forums

Yup

...drink water...post on forum...pee.

Repeat cycle.

LOL :)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I've had a desk job for several decads now. Recently I created a standing work station option. It helps. Lately my tailbone kills me while I'm sitting.
  • notreallytrillian
    notreallytrillian Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I also have ankle weights and I do leg lifts while on hold =)

Oooo, I LOVE this idea.
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said.. Drink lots of water, post of forums, pee, repeat. Also what has helped me especially after lunch, I drink some green tea to give me that extra boost of energy to get through the afternoon.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I drink water all day and go for a quick walk every hour. I hate sitting all day!
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I suppose it depends on your type of office. My office is shared by one other person, so I keep a bag of baby carrots on hand as well as apples, oranges, grapes, bananas, nuts, granola, trail mix, hard boiled eggs, or smart pop popcorn. My water cooler is downstairs, so I keep a 20 oz bottle & go up & down the stairs a lot to get some movement in (along with running to the rest room). I also like to do squats, lunges, and jumping jacks when I can. We also have a sturdy table that I kind of do a push up while leaning on while I wait for copies (I know there's a technical name for the move, lol). I suppose if there were customers coming in all day (like in an accounting or bank office) or something you wouldn't be able to do half that stuff.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with snacking as long as you keep it healthy and within your goals. I'm such a grazer, I'm sure it seems to some of my co-workers like I never stop eating! Protein bars, nuts, fruit, oatmeal, yogurt, more fruit and sometimes even a square of dark chocolate.
  • wildchild06241
    wildchild06241 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Funny this came up. As I was walking for the 4th time to our ladies room, I wondered if my weight loss had to do with more water flushing my system or the extra exercise of eliminating that from my body! LOL. I work in an office so not too much calorie burning going on in my 8 - 5 day!
  • yogivette
    yogivette Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I'm a secretary and most of my time is spent behind the desk. Today, may office-mate and I starting walking around the entire building, which takes approx. 7 minutes. We do this every hour and it helps. I also like to snack so I've added fresh fruit and I'm thinking about veggies. Small steps :D)
  • Gizmola1
    Options
    I try to take mini-breaks every hour and have a few tricks I've been trying:

If I have more than one thing to take upstairs to Administration, I do it in stages: one thing in the morning, one in the afternoon. It gets me moving and keeps me from falling asleep.

I have started drinking more water and yes, I do end up walking to the bathroom more!

In the late afternoon I goad my coworkers into going across the street to the coffee shop - just to get out of the building for a few minutes. Since I've started working on my health this week I usually buy a water and get some lemon for it. I know I don't need to buy water with and ice machine and a water fountain at work - but I feel like I can still include myself in the "coffee break" and it gets me moving.

I just take the long way around the building to any other department I need to visit. Plus, I wear my pedometer from the moment I get up until I go to bed, so it helps to boost those numbers.

But then sometimes, if my hours have been long that week, I do let myself have a 5 minute mini-nap where I just turn off the lights, daydream and breathe in and out slowly until I feel more relaxed. But that's really better for anxiety than for sleepiness, I guess.
  • SexyTmar
    SexyTmar Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've had a desk job for several decads now. Recently I created a standing work station option. It helps. Lately my tailbone kills me while I'm sitting.

Walking on your lunch break is an excellent idea and shows your motivation.

I have also worked in an office for many, many years and recently got the standing work station option. It helps a lot :)) One part of my desk goes up and down electronically, giving me the choice to sit or stand and I find that I am standing 60 - 90% of most days now!

I also drink plenty of water and tea and when I snack, I try to make it fruit or fresh vegetables. Peeled baby carrots are only 35 calories per 100g and they are very filling with very low sugar content. I also swtched to low fat cheeses and yogurt.
  • sunnsand201
    sunnsand201 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you could replace your office chair with a bigger medcine ball? They suggest sitting on the ball helps your core strengthen due to keeping your balance and contracting your abs. Also make sure the water you're drinking is cold as your body must work harder to warm the water you drink. If you can also bring in a 3 -5 lb weight and do simple bicep curls, tricep dips, and chest flies. :)
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Wondering what I can do to not want to snack or sleep.

I fantasize about punching coworkers/clients that bring delicious pastries/baked goods that I can't fit into my diet.
  • cechapman10
    cechapman10 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    There's a forum called "Sitting Down on the Job"

I do squats and upright crunches. Water jug is always close by.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I do and I try to drink lots of water throughout the day and get up at least every 45 mins to an hour and go do something where I walk for a few mins. Avoiding the office snacks is hard, but just stay disciplined and on routine and it should be fine. I bring in my own snacks and meals that are healthy and those also help me to avoid the junk that people bring into the office.
  • mcshoelovin22
    mcshoelovin22 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Keep drinking lots of water. Trust me, you wont be quite as sedentary then. Its definitely working for me.

Many bathrooms runs keep you up im guessing, lol
  • mcshoelovin22
    mcshoelovin22 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Post on fitness forums

Yup

...drink water...post on forum...pee.

Repeat cycle.

Lol I love it! Will def try to repeat
  • origgodsgift
    Options
    Yea cause you will be running to the bathroom every 5 mins