just starting out but failing

Options

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    O.k., admittedly it's harder to make changes when it's not your house, but you can still do this.
  • JustHilsie
    JustHilsie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i am starting up to, and it takes real effort but if you want to make a friend here that will cheer you up and encourage you, go ahead and add me. I'll make sure to congratulate you on each day you log in your food intake, the positive reinforcement works!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You've just got to do it. Honestly, logging food on here is probably the easiest part of the whole thing. Also, you need to find motivation other than boys who don't care either way. If you can't do it for yourself, it's probably never going to work.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

you need to want it.

^ and this
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    You keep eating junk because it's there. As painfully expensive as it is...grab a trash bag. Everything that's not reasonably healthy goes in the bag.

would if I could believe me. I live with my parents and basically their house their rules..haha

As mentioned before, you are an adult. There are choices that can be made, instead of making excuses. I can believe that there may be inappropriate foods around but I find it hard to believe that your parents don't stock anything healthy, or wouldn't be willing to. You could always offer to do some of the shopping, preferably with your own money.

You aren't exactly obese, but speaking from experience, dump worrying about "boys". If you are that insecure, you likely aren't attracting men that are healthy for you. And find out what eating healthy really means, really look into it, beyond the food pyramid. All the stupid low fat, low calorie, high carb dieting that I did in my 20s (thanks Weight Watchers) led me to go from slightly over-weight and mostly healthy to a life-long struggle with severe obesity and illness. Forget the social pressure and start doing some research on how to eat for health. Trust me, it's not going to get any easier later on.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    1. You have to want it for you. Most of us have started, stopped and started again. If you have some other reason as your main force, it's just too hard.
    2. Log everything whether you want to or not. If you can't make yourself do that, how can you make yourself change anything else?
    3. Forget what you've done before and start fresh today. You haven't failed. There is no failing, just struggles. We all have them.Your journey starts today, not yesterday.
  • kitty_764
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and 160. I just started myself. DON'T beat yourself up, trial and error, you will slip up up and it's OK.
    I'm still getting the hang of it myself, but I see where I want to end up and I'm determined to get there.

Just keep focused and get RID of the junk.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Follow all the MFP recommendations for steady, safe and lasting results.
    Eat to goal, log your intake, exercise both cardio and resistance.
    Eat back those exercise calories.
    Simple..
    There is no hidden secret. Just do it.
    Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • Jennifer217B
    Options
    First of all you have to put YOU first. Forget about everyone else. Don't have the junk food in your home close at hand. Just don't buy it. Instead have healthier options available and PLAN your meals. Decide ahead of time what you are going to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner and have those foods available. Whenever you go out bring a bottle of water, have some nuts or fruit handy to take with you. Most of all don't quit. Just because you're having a tough week remind yourself that every second is a chance to make a new decision. Hang in there and again, PREPARE! Good luck.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    you need to want it.

It really comes down to this. I know it sounds simple, and it is deceptively so, but it's nonetheless true. I'm 32, and I can't even begin to count how many times I've *wanted* to lose weight; how many times I've tried and failed. Yeah, I wanted to be slimmer, more attractive to guys, to show those who made fun of my weight what's what… but none of that matters unless YOU really want it. You have to want it more than the junk. You have to want it more than you dislike excercise. And you have to do it in a way that is sustainable for the long haul- the rest of your life. It's taken me a long time to figure out that last part, but I think I'm getting there.

Lastly, you have to realize you will "fall off the wagon", but don't let that prevent you from picking yourself up and dusting yourself off. Get back on that horse; tomorrow is a new day.
  • ruurik
    ruurik Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    The times I've wanted to diet, I've failed.

This time, I didn't want to do this, I didn't care and I felt like it wasn't going to work. I did not want this.

Slowly, little by little, success happens. Momentum has given me belief and I'm loving it. It's no longer a diet, it's become a healthy lifestyle.

Only concentrate on today. For example, change one thing in your diet that feels manageable. Do something better today than yesterday.

Allow yourself to repeatedly make mistakes but be honest (privately to yourself) as to the reason why. Do this until you're willing to face them.

Remember, you are not failing, you are seeing what works for you and what doesn't.

You can slide a piece of rice paper between success and failure. The difference between achieving one or the other is miniscule. Protect your progress and be kind to yourself.
  • chrissypow
    chrissypow Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to get 100 calorie packs if you like to snack. Since you live at home maybe your parents could put all of the junk food in one cabinet and get a lock on it, or maybe they could store the junk food in their room. I know it's hard to eat healthy when everyone else around you isn't. Good luck! I agree with everyone else, you have to do this for YOU not anyone else.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I know my diary says otherwise but I don't log all the junk I eat because I get lazy and don't feel like looking up EVERY brand.
    It's my first week and so far I've been pretty lame... I just want to be fit and pretty finally..do it for all the boys who made fun of my looks and called me fat... but also like myself. so why do I keep giving up and eating junk? :( any tips to break this cycle?

in case anyone asks:

5'3
    female
    160 lbs
    20 yrs old

Let's review. You are 20 years old. Fact- easier for you than at any other age you will be in the future. Motivation- Do it NOW.
    Change your junk food to grapes, almonds, walnuts, cherry tomatoes, whatever you like on the list that will no longer include chips, pretzels, cheetos or worse. Keep your diet consistent and good. This makes logging easier. If your circumstances warrant it, cook yourself if you don't like what is being served. Stay away from restaurants for a while, all of them, if it is practical. Sodium laced calorific stuff is not good for starting a lifestyle change. Exercise every day for a while, even if it is only an hour walk. You will be amazed how much you can improve just doing that. Start with that. Report back in 10 pounds. I bet you can do it in 5 weeks! Good luck.
  • transparentenigma
    transparentenigma Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I wont tell you its easy, because its not. I wont tell you it wont be really hard at times, because it is. I also wont tell you that you wont fail and be disgusted with yourself because you're human, you will.

But I will tell you that it WILL get easier. It might take you awhile to get in the rhythm of things, but once you do, it WILL become easier.

I understand the living in the house with people not on a diet/heathy eating regime. I know what it is not to be able to afford the healthiest choices, these might be things beyond your control. But what is in your control is the amount that you eat, and what you put in your mouth.

It may not be the healthiest way to do it, but start cutting back portion sizes. If you are going to eat junk, eat less, losing weight is simple maths

Calorie Intake - Calorie Expended = Weight loss or Gain.

So if you have to that Twinkie or Ho-ho, don't eat the whole thing, ONLY eat half. And the next time you crave it, eat A HALF OF THE HALF which is a quarter, until a bar of chocolate or a bag of junk food can last you a whole week, until you no longer crave it like that.

Cut everything you eat in half. If tonights dinner is I don't know, mashed potatoes, mac n cheese, fried chicken and whatever else, just take up what you would normally eat, cut it in half, and place the remainder in the fridge for the next day. If you are still hungry drink a glass of water with a twist of lime afterwards.

Continue doing this and you WILL lose weight. Not everyone can afford fresh vegetables and fruits, but we can control the amount of food we put in our body, and most of us can afford a bag of lime very other week. Drink water and lime or lemons at least twice a day.

Make this little change and you will notice the results.

Start small, and keep telling yourself, "I MAY NOT BE IN CONTROL OF EVERYTHING, BUT I CAN CONTROL WHAT I PUT IN MY MOUTH"

It works, I still use it. And if looking sexy and making those guys that dissed you is what motivates you, then hold to it, I don't care what it is, just that you are motivated. Some people lose weight for various reasons, health, wanting to get pregnant, an occassion, or just to fit into a particular designers clothes, whatever it is, BE motivated, repeat the mantra, and cut you portions down until

CALORIES INTAKE is less than CALORIES EXPENDED. And the weight will fall. Then jump on the exercise wagon, to see your body become the best it could be.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question. Log EVERYTHING, it helps hold you accountable and realise what you're eating every day. Don't even think about "dieting" for the first week, just log EVERYTHING you eat and then look back on your diary and make the changes.

As for junk? Don't buy it. Don't have it in the house. If I want a bag of potato chips, I have to walk to the store, and in the middle of winter, screw that. I'll have something healthier I have stashed in my fridge.
  • fittly
    fittly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't give up - keep trying. I am 53, 5'6" and 280lb. I have been working on this for 1 week now and have lost 6.2 lbs. I still need to loose about 100 lbs. I usually bomb when it comes to dieting. This time it is different cuz I need my other knee replaced - no fun - other one was replaced this past March. I still eat a little bit of junk food, I just limit it to a small taste. Also, somebody suggested I try taking daily, a Stress B-Complex vito and a Chromium Picolinate for metabolism support. I did and so far, i feel I have a bit more energy and can keep going on a daily basis. Good luck - you can do it!!
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You have to want to do it and you have to want to do it for YOU. Unless that happens you won't get anywhere.

When I first started on MFP, I concentrated on logging my food, then on logging my exercise, and it was a few months before I entered the forums and started adding friends. I was on here for ME, and only I needed to be ok with what I was doing here. The support has helped once I wanted to understand better how to progress.

Looking at you vaguely, you have been on MFP for (at most) 10 days and have amassed some friends and SIXTY FIVE forum posts while not bothering to log truthfully. That will do nothing for you.

Ask yourself what you really want and how MFP can help you to get it. Then use the site to help you.
  • Fitstephy
    Options
    hmm get a job and buy your own food...you are an adult..theyre not force feeding you :flowerforyou:

I know I wish I could get a job at the snap of a finger especially in this economy.
  • slboling
    slboling Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Agree that you need app if you have smart phone. Tracking is key to success and that means everything.
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Commit to logging or use the MFP app with the scanner. Seriously.

Also, speaking as a teen (who was 170 and is 5'2 ish) I know it's hard with your parents, but just talk to them. I told my parents that I was serious about losing weight and getting healthy and requested that we buy a little less junk and a little more healthy... and now my entire family's doing the healthy thing with me.