Read your labels!! GROSS!

Options
I've been trying to make a more concerted effort to read food labels -- not just the general nutrition information, but the ingredients as well. ALL of the ingredients.
One of my potential choices for lunch today was soup. Aside from sodium, the overall nutritional information looked pretty good. Then, I read the ingredients.
What does that say? Chicken skin....? :noway: Yes, that's right. Chicken SKIN! In my soup!
GROSS!!! :sick: :sick: :sick:
Something like that might actually push me considerably closer to the idea of eating clean. No surprise animal "parts" in something that is whole and unprocessed, right? I guess I'll think about that some more when my appetite returns.

Replies

• mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to make a more concerted effort to read food labels -- not just the general nutrition information, but the ingredients as well. ALL of the ingredients.
    One of my potential choices for lunch today was soup. Aside from sodium, the overall nutritional information looked pretty good. Then, I read the ingredients.
    What does that say? Chicken skin....? :noway: Yes, that's right. Chicken SKIN! In my soup!
    GROSS!!! :sick: :sick: :sick:
    Something like that might actually push me considerably closer to the idea of eating clean. No surprise animal "parts" in something that is whole and unprocessed, right? I guess I'll think about that some more when my appetite returns.

Chicken skin isn't all that gross and it's a pretty flavorful part to use to make a broth, as well as the bones and organs. Now if you'd said chicken feet (even though a delicacy in some cultures) I'd have been grossed out. I mean most people eat the chicken skin when they have fried chicken.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Chicken skin isn't all that gross and it's a pretty flavorful part to use to make a broth, as well as the bones and organs. Now if you'd said chicken feet (even though a delicacy in some cultures) I'd have been grossed out. I mean most people eat the chicken skin when they have fried chicken.

When I make chicken soup, I boil the whole chicken, skin and all in the pot to make the stock. I even open up the guts bag and add those in. I strain that stuff out before serving, though.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    The skin's the best part!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Gross (I'm vegan so I think it's gross)
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    When I am eating baked chicken, I will usually wrap a nice big piece of skin around the last delicious morsel of meat, and enjoy every single chew of my mouth!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Yeh, skin, bones, organs all go in the pot when I'm making chicken stock. Flavour.
    Eat the whole animal. Waste not, want not. That's when I also toss in the celery leaf tops, discarded onion skins and outside layers, carrot tops etc. All the stuff that doesn't get cut up for the finished soup.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Yeh, skin, bones, organs all go in the pot when I'm making chicken stock. Flavour.
    Eat the whole animal. Waste not, want not. That's when I also toss in the celery leaf tops, discarded onion skins and outside layers, carrot tops etc. All the stuff that doesn't get cut up for the finished soup.
    ^^^^ Love making my own stock. It does wonders to food!!!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a vegetarian, I honestly fail to see what on earth is wrong with chicken skin in soup.
    Many good home cooks use all parts of the chicken to make stocks and soup, it is called not being so wasteful.
    I would have been more concerned by something I didn't recognise being an ingredient.
  • SweetSailor
    SweetSailor Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    One can eat 'clean' and chicken skin would be included in this lifestyle, as long as it's from non-processed, no hormone, no antibiotic chicken. It's the chickens raised without skin that should scare someone into eating clean.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Just for the sake of argument, how exactly do you think chicken breasts and thighs are held onto the chicken? If you want 'whole and unprocessed', that would be a whole chicken, which being an animal of the vertebrate persuasion, includes a useful (and all natural) covering called skin.

If people were in general more connected to what exactly counts as 'natural' and 'unprocessed', I think there would be less horror at finding a normal constituent of an animal in something called 'animal X soup'. If you want to be horrified, go pick up some frozen chicken nuggets. I bet they don't list 'chicken skin'.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Nom.
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    A hot dog is lips and *kitten*.... skin of a chicken, pork rines, meh I am generally more concerned about High Fructose Corn Syrup, Aspartame, etc etc... At least chicken skin is a naturally occurring ingredient.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    http://jackfit.blogspot.com/

More Health Tips for Healthy Life-Living

• Cut back on high fructose corn syrup and really cut back on higher fructose corn syrup (and don't even get me started about highest fructose corn syrup!)

• Find time to sneak in exercise; for example, do some lunge-squats while waiting in line at Baskin-Robbins.

• You can make your own multi-vitamins by gluing a bunch of regular vitamins together.

• Set realistic goals, such as “This week, I am going to walk down to the mailbox to get the mail instead of taking the car.”

• It’s unhealthy to sleep on your heart, so always make certain that you keep your heart inside your body while asleep.

• Horny Goat Weed is a natural herbal supplement that increases libido in men and women, improves erectile function in men and–come to think of it–is a really sweet name for a band.

• Really spicy food can raise your metabolism, by making you run back and forth to the fridge to grab ice cubes to suck on.

• Taking a cold shower improves your skin tone and circulation, helps ward off colds and leaves more hot water for me.

All credit goes to Jack *kitten* Gett'n Fit
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    sodium?

ughh will have to get my skins elsewhere...
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    They're not talking about like feathers and weird stuff, it's like when you have a baked chicken thigh or leg or whatever, the part that is seasoned, is the chicken skin, same with like a rotisserie chicken, that has the skin on, It's not gross at all, because they are using the chicken skin it actually sounds like a better choice then a lot of other soups because it's using the chickens natural flavors and taste instead of adding artificial stuff
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Serious foodie chefs make their chicken broth using all parts of the chicken skin including the feet and the comb off the top of their head too! I was surprised when I learned this but they say the comb and feet make a chicken broth that is like liquid sunshine. As for me though, I stick to just skin and bones when I make my home made chicken broth. I don't find it gross though. I'm always trying to save some of the skin for making broth before it all gets eaten along with the chicken.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I also fail to see how that's gross. But I would eat just about anything if it tasted good and wasn't harmful....I mean, canebelism isn't even off my list....
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Its....chicken skin....its fine lol

Especially since you didn't realize you were eating it in the first place. Was probably just warning that theres like a 1% chance you might find it in there.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    One can eat 'clean' and chicken skin would be included in this lifestyle, as long as it's from non-processed, no hormone, no antibiotic chicken. It's the chickens raised without skin that should scare someone into eating clean.

Yea, where are these boneless skinless chickens anyway...

I eat clean - unprocessed whole foods plant based as much as possible. It there are some ingredients I can't pronounce I just don't get the product no matter how healthy it appears to be. I've been reading labels most of my life due to food allergies and I've always had to laugh when I'm grocery shopping at some of the stuff I see. I don't mind spending a lot of $$ on my groceries, they're helping me live longer & better!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think chicken skin is delicious. Sometimes I remove the skin to save calories, but sometimes I leave it on because it's the best part, imo.