Read your labels!! GROSS!

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Yeh, skin, bones, organs all go in the pot when I'm making chicken stock. Flavour.
    Eat the whole animal. Waste not, want not. That's when I also toss in the celery leaf tops, discarded onion skins and outside layers, carrot tops etc. All the stuff that doesn't get cut up for the finished soup.
    ^^^^ Love making my own stock. It does wonders to food!!!

^^ That's on my list of cooking things to learn. I am still buying chicken stock at the store.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you want to be horrified, go pick up some frozen chicken nuggets. I bet they don't list 'chicken skin'.

:laugh:
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Well, I totally understand you! I read labels and the sugar and milk protein they put in EVERYTHING is astounding! And totally unnecessary! Why would I want sugar in my sausage or hot dog?
    When I make chicken soup I don't use chicken skin...I am a home cook too! I prefer to make a broth out of bones.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Wow your worried about chicken skin? Do you know whats in a nugget? Or heck the chemicals we're being poisoned with on a daily basis. I wouldn't be worried about chicken skin.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I also fail to see how that's gross. But I would eat just about anything if it tasted good and wasn't harmful....I mean, canebelism isn't even off my list....
    [/quote

I think Human would be to fatty for anyone on a diet to eat.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Luckily some of us are that are here aren't on a diet..lol.

And some of us are in the - if it fits in your macros we'll eat it "plan" so anything is pretty much good to go....lol.

Also to the OP - no idea why you are freakin' out about chicken skin unless you are vegetarian/vegan. Or you just have a thing about chicken skin. If none of that applies to you....then that makes me even more confused.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Karoger87
    Karoger87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When I used to eat fried chicken I ate the skin. No big deal. I only eat skinless, hormone free etc. chicken now. I had heart failure for nearly 5 years... Now I'm a Heart transplantee :P I had to make very big eating habit changes. Sugar is the devil... it's so hard to say no -_- lol Now I'm just rambling...
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to make a more concerted effort to read food labels -- not just the general nutrition information, but the ingredients as well. ALL of the ingredients.
    One of my potential choices for lunch today was soup. Aside from sodium, the overall nutritional information looked pretty good. Then, I read the ingredients.
    What does that say? Chicken skin....? :noway: Yes, that's right. Chicken SKIN! In my soup!
    GROSS!!! :sick: :sick: :sick:
    Something like that might actually push me considerably closer to the idea of eating clean. No surprise animal "parts" in something that is whole and unprocessed, right? I guess I'll think about that some more when my appetite returns.

Chicken skin isn't all that gross and it's a pretty flavorful part to use to make a broth, as well as the bones and organs. Now if you'd said chicken feet (even though a delicacy in some cultures) I'd have been grossed out. I mean most people eat the chicken skin when they have fried chicken.
    I see using all of the chicken (skin & all ) but the skin is where all the fat & calories come from. So I would like to think you chill the stock & remove the fat from the top. Right?:noway:
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Back in my Grandma's time they used every part of the animal.....I don't see the problem with doing the same now.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    You realize skin is on the chicken fairly often right?

Yeah.

I hope you never find out what a hot dog actually is

Ignorance really is bliss huh?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to make a more concerted effort to read food labels -- not just the general nutrition information, but the ingredients as well. ALL of the ingredients.
    One of my potential choices for lunch today was soup. Aside from sodium, the overall nutritional information looked pretty good. Then, I read the ingredients.
    What does that say? Chicken skin....? :noway: Yes, that's right. Chicken SKIN! In my soup!
    Something like that might actually push me considerably closer to the idea of eating clean. No surprise animal "parts" in something that is whole and unprocessed, right? I guess I'll think about that some more when my appetite returns.

that's the best part, you know.

(because that's where the flavor is.)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Chicken skin is used to make broth.. it's what makes the broth taste like broth..

Yea.. once you start reading labels and then actually finding out what all that stuff is.. you'll cook for yourself from here on out.
    I eat about 90% clean and it's made a huge difference in my life.
    It's really not hard to cook everyday, doesn't take much time unless you are doing something involved. my dinner tonight roasted butternut squash and sauteed pork chop.. under 400 calories, no added crap and it took 30 minutes total. Only cause the squash had to roast.
    Try it.. eating clean.. the down side? I am very sensitive to fat, salt and sugar now. LOL.
    I still eat take out and pizza and go to restaurants, just not often.

Even spaghetti sauce has some surprising stuff in it. You'd think it's just tomatos, peppers, onions, garlic and basil. well mine is (basic sauce anyway).. check out what it's the prego!! LOL
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I don't see how chicken skin is worse than chicken bones or organs which often go into stock. I even eat chicken livers, my last cat used to eat raw chicken hearts and raw pork kidneys that stank of urine. Nom nom nom said my little obligate carnivore.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    When I am eating baked chicken, I will usually wrap a nice big piece of skin around the last delicious morsel of meat, and enjoy every single chew of my mouth!

Soul Mates. :heart: :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Guess Spam is out of the question....................................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Spam, rice and eggs!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    When I am eating baked chicken, I will usually wrap a nice big piece of skin around the last delicious morsel of meat, and enjoy every single chew of my mouth!

Soul Mates. :heart: :laugh:

Make it a threesome. It's the best part.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Wow your worried about chicken skin? Do you know whats in a nugget? Or heck the chemicals we're being poisoned with on a daily basis. I wouldn't be worried about chicken skin.

The one you see a lot in processed food that pisses me off is cellulose.

Wood pulp.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    One can eat 'clean' and chicken skin would be included in this lifestyle, as long as it's from non-processed, no hormone, no antibiotic chicken. It's the chickens raised without skin that should scare someone into eating clean.

What is wrong with eating chicken skin from a chicken that has had antibotics?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Chicken skin isn't all that gross and it's a pretty flavorful part to use to make a broth, as well as the bones and organs. Now if you'd said chicken feet (even though a delicacy in some cultures) I'd have been grossed out. I mean most people eat the chicken skin when they have fried chicken.
    I see using all of the chicken (skin & all ) but the skin is where all the fat & calories come from. So I would like to think you chill the stock & remove the fat from the top. Right?:noway:

Why would they? Fat makes things tasty.