Question about exercise calories... not THAT question...

Options
sonjavon
sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
I eat my exercise calories and enjoy them very much. I've been really paying attention to my "daily allowances" of things though.... like sodium, carbs, protein, fat, etc. I have been very good lately at coming in under my sodium allowance, way over on fiber, over on protein, way under on fat, and usually hit right at or above the carb allowance depending on what fruit I've eaten. On the days that I exercise I have a hard time fitting the food in nutritionally... I REALLY don't want all of my "extra calories" coming from fat and carbs... so .. where SHOULD those calories be coming from?

Replies

• EmilyStrick
    EmilyStrick Posts: 267
    Options
    it is good to at least meet your fat intake requirements. good fats are essential for vitamin and mineral absorption, and also good for brain function among other things. so, i would suggest, that when you have some extra calories, and you're low on fat, try cooking with some extra oil (ideally olive oil or sesame oil). you could also add in some peanut butter, or just a handful of (unsalted) plain nuts. fat doesn't make you fat. fat is your friend!!!
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Handful of almonds, peanut butter (like previous poster said) or avocados. A healthy fat would be good.
  • jmb1510
    jmb1510 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree that adding good fat is a great way to go. I always have raw almonds or peanutbutter. I hate fish, but some salmon would be a good source of calories as well. Fat is our friend.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    How about chocolate? Is chocolate our friend? J/K ha ha!
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options

:laugh: I needed a good laugh!
    We can be friends! Best friends! You know I love you, you know I love yooouuuu! (Sorry I watch kid TV)
  • sonjavon
    Options
    Ok - so other than eating more fat (I do get some - but usually have some left)... what should I be eating more of to "eat" my 500 calories that I got from exercising... especially when I've already maxed out or exceeded protein. How far is it ok to go over on protein? I'm just trying really hard to not only concentrate on weight-loss but on nutrition as well. I just find that when I eat the exercise calories - it sends me over on carbs, sugar, sodium, etc. Maybe I'm not explaining myself well???
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I have heard that a good rule of thumb is 1 gram for every pound of your goal weight. I have also read that you shouldn't go over 130 grams. I generally try to be in the 115-130 range for protein. It's really important to get proper water in though with high protein levels. I personally also have problems upping my protein at the end of the day without either adding to fat or sodium. At that point I really don't feel like eating a piece of chicken or fish!
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I wish protein was spelled protien so I would not have to constantly correct myself.
  • matt_the_whitebeard
    Options

Actually dark chocolate is an excellent source of anti oxidants... just as long as a person can keep it in moderation!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    What are your nutrients set to? Ie: Mine are 40c/30f/30p which seems a lot better fit with my diet than 55/30/15. It's also a common breakdown, so I don't feel like I'm being a moron by making that choice. It may be that you need to change so that your protein is higher or your fat is higher.

I'm finding creative ways to add protein to my diet. For example, I made whole wheat biscuits tonight from scratch and threw a scoop of protein powder in there with the flour :tongue: . They were still delicious!! Or adding egg whites too a regular egg for breakfast. Or having a protein bar after my workout.
  • sonjavon
    Options
    What are your nutrients set to? Ie: Mine are 40c/30f/30p which seems a lot better fit with my diet than 55/30/15. It's also a common breakdown, so I don't feel like I'm being a moron by making that choice. It may be that you need to change so that your protein is higher or your fat is higher.

I'm finding creative ways to add protein to my diet. For example, I made whole wheat biscuits tonight from scratch and threw a scoop of protein powder in there with the flour :tongue: . They were still delicious!! Or adding egg whites too a regular egg for breakfast. Or having a protein bar after my workout.
    How do I change those??? I didn't know that you could!