Diet soda

Options

Replies

• chelazar88
    chelazar88 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Water is my primary drink. I do have a few diet dr. pepper cherries a week. Usually in the evening with dinner after drinking water all day long. Drinking it in this moderation seems to be ok for me. I used to drink it alot more and drink crystal light also has the aspertame...i was getting more frequent headaches and was tired all the time. A co-worker suggested it could be that. I cut it out of my diet for awhile and felt better. Wheather it was the ACTUAL problem or not who knows. but for now i drink in moderation and seem ok
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything is bad for you. I will drink it, once in a while, with no adverse affects.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm not a huge soda person. But the diet stuff with aspartame is the worst offender. They have done actual studies where it has had negative health effects. If you crave any kind of soda try flavored seltzer water its supposed to be just as tasty so I am told. Here is the link to the negative effects of aspartame. http://www.medicinenet.com/artificial_sweeteners/page8.htm

Hahaha, even your own source admits that most of this is based on industry conspiracy theories and fails to cite even one of the so-called "studies". I've yet to have anyone show in a clinical form (not some speculative article but an actual peer-reviewed clinical study) that aspartame consumed at typical human levels is in any form bad for the body. The only study I've seen that came close to showing any ill side effects was one that used rats where aspartame was injected directly into the bloodstream at levels 20 times what would be considered moderate consumption for a human!! Since, as your article points out, aspartame is metabolized, it would never enter the blood stream in it's pure form so that study has been widely criticized and debunked (not to mention the extreme dosing levels they used).
  • XjXannX
    XjXannX Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i really like diet pop but i really try to just drink water, you should try to go without it for maybe a week or two and see how you feel, personally i felt better without it
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I used to drink diet coke all the time like 2 20oz a day. I decided to stop because for some reason it would make my lower back/spine area hurt. I think it may have too much caffeine. I have tried pepsi zero and i don't really hurt from it but I still try to limit myself because I know soda is not that good for you. Occasionally I do have a soda but it's very rare.
  • EmilyWest1919
    EmilyWest1919 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm not a soda drinker as I prefer coffee; however, I did just want "Hungry for Change" on Netflix last night. It was VERY interesting and gave some rather scary theories on diet soda.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Giving it up has helped me lose weight and feel better overall.Good luck!
  • Jallycr
    Options
    I find that I am more likely to have a good work out if I don't deny myself the caffeine. So, as they say in Spanish: "vale la pena"
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    So you're saying.. it's not full of sodium.. and it does qunech your thirst?

hmm

Sodium in Classic Diet Sodas
    Classic diet sodas, such as Diet Pepsi and Diet Coke, typically contain about 35 to 40 mg of sodium per 12-oz. serving. Caffeine-free diet sodas, Splenda-sweetened diet sodas and sodas flavored with cherry or lime contain about the same amount of sodium

thats a lot of sodium for a 12 oucnce drink.. How much water do you have to drink in order to flush that out?? Yea.. makes you thirsty.
    Soda diet or otherwise is also link to hunger. There is a strong coorelations between artifical sweetners used in diet sodas and the feeling of hunger. Coorelation means not everyone is affected this way, just more then half.
    Also.. anything that is made made is not healthy and our bodies are not intended to eat it. Eating whole fresh food is what you need to look at to acheive health, including what you choose to drink. Does that mena i never eat a granola bar or drink booze? Of course not. But if you're really looking to change your habits, you need to change them all, 1 at a time.

You can rationsalize it or justify drinking or eating anything you want anyyway you want. That does not change the actual health benefits or lack of them of a particular item.
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options

"Cocktails made with diet soda get you drunker, faster, according to a study out of the Royal Adelaide Hospital in Australia. That's because sugar-free mixers allow liquor to enter your bloodstream much quicker than those with sugar, leaving you with a bigger buzz."

*buys more diet soda*
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Taylor Swifts song " We are never, ever, ever getting back together!". That's my thoughts :laugh:
  • alicevick3
    Options
    Wish there was a "like" button for item below
  • alicevick3
    Options
    panic.gif

Lmao!!
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I think most things are okay in moderation…..a diet soda or treat isn’t going to hurt you every once in awhile.

However, I personally try to eat as little chemicals and preservatives as possible…I just kinda believe that we’re better off sticking with natural foods….not to mention it actually makes me “feel” better.

I have read that diet soda’s sometimes sabotage weight loss – because of the empty calories – basically your body realizes that you are taking in something – but because it holds no nutrition or fuel for your body – it causes you to still feel hungry – and leads to overeating.
    I don’t know if there is any truth to that – just a thought.

I do know that for me, once I stop eating or drinking a certain thing I no longer crave it – I fully believe that fast foods(fat ,sodium), sodas, (even diet) sugar all that stuff is addicting and once you break that – you aren’t nearly as reliant on it.

About 5 years ago I use to drink pretty much only soda, the regular kind from the time I got up till I went to bed, then I switched to mostly diet soda – now I don’t drink it much at all, and I feel lots better for it.

Good Luck!
  • catio23
    catio23 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I drink one a day with lunch. The rest of the day is water (other than my morning coffee) so I feel comfortable with one per day.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I think soda in general is bad. I don't drink any of it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz is a quack..

Anything that is not from nature is bad for you.
    That's why if you get an infection, don't take anti biotics or get medical help.
    diet soda does nothing but add chemicals to your body that you don't need.
    So does eating ice cream, cake, and pho
    diet soda does not quench your thirst either.
    unless of course you're thirsty
    all that sodium makes it harder to lose weight.
    especially since 50 milligrams out of an allowable 2000 milligrams per day is going to make a huge impact.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Its a personal choice. Some drink it and some dont. I went through a phase that lasted for 2 years that I drunk only water, nothing else. Now I have primarily water but diet dr pepper here and there. No guilt, no worries. I am a scientist and everything in bulk quantities can be bad but most things in moderation are just fine.
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz is a quack..

Anything that is not from nature is bad for you.
    diet soda does nothing but add chemicals to your body that you don't need.
    diet soda does not quench your thirst either.
    all that sodium makes it harder to lose weight.

This -
    And all soda is bad for you!! Along with all processed foods and drinks. I'm not saying I don't indulge in some pre-packaged foods, I do. Most times for convenience. But in general, eating clean is the best advice I have ever received.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I gave it up. Aspartame is toxic.

^^this....but only if you plan on drinking the equivalent of ~2,000 cans of diet soda/day.