Been working hard, no results. Discouraged.

Options
Hey guys, this is going to take a bit of background explanation so I hope you'll bare with me. I have not seen the results I wanted lately and I hope someone can help. I started MFP in December 2011. I was at 145 and wanted to get down to 130. By March, I had reached my goal and decided to maintain for a while. I never had an issue with weight fluctuations or anything... I always lost the weight exactly on track. I was eating around 1400 calories a day and lost a little over a pound a week. Well a couple of months ago I decided I wanted to lose more, to get down to around 125. This was in November. I didn't count calories but I ate healthy and started working out 6 days a week (3 days strength, 3 days cardio). I started losing weight again. By the time I left to go home for Christmas beak (mid-December) I was at 128 pounds and pleased with my progress so far.

Well like many, I overdid it a bit for Christmas. I went running every day at home but there was still a lot of food. When I got back here at the end of December my scale said 130.8. Eeek. But I immediately got back into my routine, and I started counting calories again (1400 a day - my TDEE without exercise is about 1900. I'm "lightly active"). I eat back about half of my exercise calories so there's room for error (though if I'm extra hungry I may eat almost all of them). After a few days of being back, the scale said 129.8. I figured a pound of the weight had just been water weight from so much food and I was again pleased. I decided not to weigh myself again until today.

Well today, I weighed in, and took measurements. And I could not be more disappointed. Apparently I weigh 130 now. It's been two weeks since I weighed in at 130.8 so I should have at LEAST been down to 129. Not to mention that I had weighed in at 129.8 a week and half ago. I also took my measurements for the first time since November 19th, so almost two months ago. I haven't lost ANYTHING. Not even a quarter of an inch. Anywhere. In fact, I GAINED half an inch on my neck - which is really really weird, because my neck has been the same for almost a year. I thought it was like, set there.

If you look at my diary you'll see that I do a calorie-zig-zag sort of thing - that's what worked for me before. For example last week I went over a couple of days but was under the rest of the days. Last week I was 143 calories under my weekly goal, so I should've lost a pound. This week you'll see that Wednesday I went wayy over, but I'm staying under the rest of the week and plan to finish under my weekly goal. Again, this always worked for me in the past.

I have thought of a few possible explanations: I started Insanity again this past Sunday, but I'm not doing it every day - just on the days I don't lift. So I've only done it a couple of times. But maybe my body is retaining water from the stress of that? I lifted yesterday, but I'm not too sore so I don't think there's much water retention there. Also, since I did overeat a lot on Wednesday, and have a lottt of sodium, perhaps I am still bloated from that. But I drink a TON of water every day, so I thought it'd all be flushed out by now.

If anyone could give me advice or a possible explanation I'd appreciate it. I'm super discouraged because I've been working my butt off for two months and I've lost nothing - in fact, I've gained. I have a pageant on February 9th and I had planned to reach my goal of 125 by then... now it looks like that's out of the question. I want to cry. I don't know if I should eat more, eat less, exercise more, or what. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• crystal9999
    crystal9999 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Not to get too personal, but are you about to start your period?
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    Hi, looking at your diary, I reckon sodium too. Add it to the tracker and stay under it for a week and see if that helps! x
  • kellysulser
    kellysulser Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am not anywhere near an expert, but if you are working out 6 days a week - you are likely gaining more muscle than you are losing fat at your weight. Muscle weighs more than fat, and since you are slender anyway you may not see the measurements move as you gain the muscle either because there isn't likely much 'fat' to reduce as the muscle tone grows. I think if you work out more - you will likely see the same results you are seeing now. If you are 'eating back your calories' I would say plan a reasonable, smart meal plan for a week - look for 1200 calories minimum a day - and STICK TO IT. It isn't all about the calories either, make sure you are taking in good calories, and lots of fruits and veggies and stay away from starches. If you don't see the scale move after a week of that (and staying on a workout plan that is reasonable) then switch it up and try something else. As we get older, it is harder to lose weight doing what 'always worked before'. I don't know how old you are - but at 25 or so for me the status quo no longer applied. GOOD LUCK!! Don't lose faith.
  • FluroFaye
    FluroFaye Posts: 130
    Options
    How tall are you? You're already at a fairly low weight for a women.

Why are you so focussed on numbers? lbs don't change your body so much as inches do. If you want to look better naked or whatever, lift heavier and focus on your measurements instead of your weight. You'll see posts all over this forum with people 'skinny fat' and people 'bulked' who have been at the same weight or heavier when bulked and look much better!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Not to get too personal, but are you about to start your period?

No, I'm on BC so it's very regulated and it's not supposed to start until mid-next week. I've never had much bloating with my period anyway - like I said, last time I lost weight, I lost it right on track... whether it was that time of the month or not.
  • TXGirl821
    TXGirl821 Posts: 115
    Options
    You're thinking too much about the scale and those little point whatever pounds. If you're doing strength training, your body is changing but the scale WILL be slower in a lot of cases. Keep taking measurements because your body will get leaner over time even if you stay at 130. Which, not knowing your height, sounds like a pretty good weight for a woman anyway. Also, you might want to make sure you're doing strength training that is going to help you achieve the body you want. Do you work with a trainer? Don't be discouraged. Things will happen, they just don't always happen quickly.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation - not losing, but have restarted my routine since kinda going overboard over the holidays. I think in the long run this is good for us as it shook up our systems and definitely took us out of any starvation-like mode. The bad news is (at least for me) that it has taken a little while to fully dial-in back to my prior discipline (loggin in all calories, being strictly clean on the diet and not eating any leftover holiday cookies etc, going to the gym for a real workout aside from merely phoning it in w/ light exercise like walking). My wait has fluctuated since the 1st of Jan up and down 2 pounds. I may start to get discouraged but I think, now that I've looked at what I'm doing, and have fine-tuned out any leftover bad habits, if I stay this course, this "plateau" will break sooner or later.....if I were you I'd give it a few more weeks. Then perhaps drop or raise your calories by 250 and see what happens.
  • FluroFaye
    FluroFaye Posts: 130
    Options
    By the way...gaining muscle is not a fast experience. People who say you are gaining muscle don't know what they are talking about. If you're sticking to it and gaining or whatever, that'll be the water your muscles are wrapping themselves in to heal.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    It's possible you have water retention due to muscle repair. It's also possible that because you have increased your workouts you aren't eating enough.

I would not stress too much. Scales are evil little things. If you are eating between BMR & TDEE & getting exercise 5 to 6 days a week it will move eventually.
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    How tall are you? You're already at a fairly low weight for a women.

Why are you so focussed on numbers? lbs don't change your body so much as inches do. If you want to look better naked or whatever, lift heavier and focus on your measurements instead of your weight. You'll see posts all over this forum with people 'skinny fat' and people 'bulked' who have been at the same weight or heavier when bulked and look much better!

Hi, I'm 5'4" so a healthy weight range for me is supposed to be like 110-145 or something like that. So I didn't think 125 would be too unattainable. Like I said, I don't just look at the scale, I take measurements. I DO lift heavy and trust me, I wouldn't care about the scale if I was getting smaller. But I'm not getting smaller at all.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is nothing to get worried about. When you zig zag calories, your weight can zig zag with it because of food and water weight. It's best for weigh in purposes to eat the same amount of calories for a given day, and weigh in the same day every week.
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    FYI : Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat! A pound is a pound is a pound. Muscle is denser than fat, but a pound of muscle can not and never will weigh more than a pound of fat or a pound of feathers.
  • hanny137
    Options
    I'm not an expert by any means - otherwise I'd be Mr. Olympia; however you said something and talked about something that made me instantly think I had some idea of what was going on:

You said "I've been working my butt off for two months and I've lost nothing - in fact, I've gained". You also mentioned you've been doing Insanity and that you lift.

Perhaps your body has gotten to such a point now that it has reached it's "spot" and has decided that it's time to build some muscle-mass. Again, I'm no expert but a body can only lose so much and keep burning so much. At some point it levels off and it becomes difficult to burn off excess weight and your body begins to sculpt/tone with muscle as opposed to just losing extra fat (which may just not be there to lose).

My guess is that since you've been working so hard - you've been inadvertently putting on muscle mass or sculpting/toning the existing muscle into a stronger, denser (i.e. weighs more) core.

That's just this guys outside perspective so take it for what it's worth.

Edit: before tpt1950 explains that muscle mass does not 'weigh more' than fat - what I mean is - it is denser - so you can have more mass in the same area (so you notice no size increase in your body) but your weight increases.
  • angleu
    angleu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am not anywhere near an expert, but if you are working out 6 days a week - you are likely gaining more muscle than you are losing fat at your weight. Muscle weighs more than fat,

Muscle does not weigh more then fat, 5lbs is 5lbs it just takes up less room.
  • BrianBarrett79
    BrianBarrett79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A person your size cant have many day's like you did 2 days ago and expect to lose weight. Eat like you did yesterday for a few days and weigh again! =) And drink a ton of water to get that nasty Mcdonalds out of your body! LOL
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    Two weeks is nothing to get worried about. When you zig zag calories, your weight can zig zag with it because of food and water weight. It's best for weigh in purposes to eat the same amount of calories for a given day, and weigh in the same day every week.

Thanks. I do weigh in at the same day and time of day but I see what you mean about zig zagging. I guess I'm only discouraged about the 2 weeks because of my pageant next month - it sort of puts a time limit on things :frown:
  • aplmom
    aplmom Posts: 5
    Options
    Sometimes too much of a good thing can be bad.....Maybe you are overdoing it on the weights and on the water. I am far from an expert but I know that sometimes it works that way since muscle weighs more. Also, just to help you get a little perspective, I weigh in at 363 right now. I'd give anything to be in your shoes. Keep a positive outlook and when the process gets you down, just remember there is always someone somewhere that has a bigger problem than you do. I've found in my life that if I remember that, my discouragements don't always seem so bad. Keep with it, and just tweek it until you find the right combination. Good luck at your pageant!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    FYI : Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat! A pound is a pound is a pound. Muscle is denser than fat, but a pound of muscle can not and never will weigh more than a pound of fat or a pound of feathers.

I don't think that's what the poster meant.... normally when people say muscle weighs more than fat they mean for the same volume.

For the same volume muscle does weigh more than fat... but it is highly unlikely the OP put on any muscle with eating at a deficit.
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    I appreciate all the feedback so far. But to the people who say maybe I've gained muscle weight, I don't think that's it. First off, you can't gain muscle at a calorie deficit, and I'm at a fairly big deficit. Also, if I was indeed gaining muscle but losing fat, your'e right that the scale wouldn't change, but my measurements would. My measurements haven't changed at all, that's why I'm upset.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Agreed.