Been working hard, no results. Discouraged.

Options

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    A person your size cant have many day's like you did 2 days ago and expect to lose weight. Eat like you did yesterday for a few days and weigh again! =) And drink a ton of water to get that nasty Mcdonalds out of your body! LOL

Ugh I know, it was a baaaad day haha. Things were really stressful and there was a party that night so I drank a lot and that led to eating a lot. Hopefully like you said it'll flush out in a few days!
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    Also, just to help you get a little perspective, I weigh in at 363 right now. I'd give anything to be in your shoes. Keep a positive outlook and when the process gets you down, just remember there is always someone somewhere that has a bigger problem than you do. I've found in my life that if I remember that, my discouragements don't always seem so bad. Keep with it, and just tweek it until you find the right combination. Good luck at your pageant!

Thank you, I really do appreciate that outlook. You have a great attitude. Like I said if I didn't have this stupid pageant next month I would be a lot more chill about reaching my goals :P Wearing a bikini on stage is a big motivator haha.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is nothing to get worried about. When you zig zag calories, your weight can zig zag with it because of food and water weight. It's best for weigh in purposes to eat the same amount of calories for a given day, and weigh in the same day every week.

Thanks. I do weigh in at the same day and time of day but I see what you mean about zig zagging. I guess I'm only discouraged about the 2 weeks because of my pageant next month - it sort of puts a time limit on things :frown:

If you want to have days like you had Wednesday, I would recommend not eating back exercise calories. Just try to keep your protein a bit higher on your workout days. Based on the limited amount of diary I looked at, you may be eating just a bit too much.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the feedback so far. But to the people who say maybe I've gained muscle weight, I don't think that's it. First off, you can't gain muscle at a calorie deficit, and I'm at a fairly big deficit. Also, if I was indeed gaining muscle but losing fat, your'e right that the scale wouldn't change, but my measurements would. My measurements haven't changed at all, that's why I'm upset.

I think a lot of this can be chocked up to measurement error. Being off by 1/4" is very possible if you're measuring yourself. Fluid retention from the new workout plan and weightlifting can cause the 1 lb difference in expected weight versus what is really on the scale too. 1 lb difference is very hard to detect with any precision especially in women who tend to fluctuate more than men. The zig-zag calorie plan could very well be contributing to this also.

Furthermore, since you have so little weight to drop, two weeks isn't nearly long enough to know if your plan is working or not. Your rate of loss is going to be very very slow right now. Most of the people I know who are this close to their goal weight, it can take a full month for them to drop a pound and a full year to drop ten pounds.

I think you just need to work on being more consistent with your diet and patient. Weigh and measure once per month, try to keep your sodium and fluid intake at a consistent level (doesn't have to be ultra-low), and be consistent with your workout routine.

Sounds to me like you're doing very well and just need to work on being more patient.
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is not a plateau! People panic too much and don't realise that weight loss does not come off in near linear chunks. You may see no loss for 2-3 weeks then bang, 4 pounds off. Patience! It sounds like you are doing everything spot on to me. Just don't be discouraged, keep going. Try something new in a few weeks if the scales haven't budged then, then that's a plateau. Good luck!
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    2 weeks is not a plateau! People panic too much and don't realise that weight loss does not come off in near linear chunks. You may see no loss for 2-3 weeks then bang, 4 pounds off. Patience! It sounds like you are doing everything spot on to me. Just don't be discouraged, keep going. Try something new in a few weeks if the scales haven't budged then, then that's a plateau. Good luck!

Thank you, I am trying not to panic. Like I said it's just hard because last time I lost weight it DID come off in perfectly linear chunks. I don't understand why it's different this time!
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'4" so a healthy weight range for me is supposed to be like 110-145 or something like that. So I didn't think 125 would be too unattainable. Like I said, I don't just look at the scale, I take measurements. I DO lift heavy and trust me, I wouldn't care about the scale if I was getting smaller. But I'm not getting smaller at all.
    When we get close to our goal, many people find that the number they picked, just isn't where their body wants to be at. Can you get it there? Sure, but it may be at the cost of body composition.
    Have you seen this: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    Great story with great pics.
    Also, as close as you are to your goal weight, you should aim for less of a deficit, like half a pound a week at best.
    And, as others have said, two weeks is not a plateau, so I wouldn't worry just yet.
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'4" so a healthy weight range for me is supposed to be like 110-145 or something like that. So I didn't think 125 would be too unattainable. Like I said, I don't just look at the scale, I take measurements. I DO lift heavy and trust me, I wouldn't care about the scale if I was getting smaller. But I'm not getting smaller at all.
    When we get close to our goal, many people find that the number they picked, just isn't where their body wants to be at. Can you get it there? Sure, but it may be at the cost of body composition.
    Have you seen this: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    Also, as close as you are to your goal weight, you should aim for less of a deficit, like half a pound a week at best.
    And, as others have said, two weeks is not a plateau, so I wouldn't worry just yet.

Ah yes, I love Staci's story! Actually reading that was what got me into lifting last year :D Again, I really don't care about the scale as long as I'm getting smaller - I'd kill to look like Staci - but my measurements aren't changing at all (and that's over 2 months, not 2 weeks). I am trying to take a deep breath and be patient though!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the feedback so far. But to the people who say maybe I've gained muscle weight, I don't think that's it. First off, you can't gain muscle at a calorie deficit, and I'm at a fairly big deficit. Also, if I was indeed gaining muscle but losing fat, your'e right that the scale wouldn't change, but my measurements would. My measurements haven't changed at all, that's why I'm upset.

If you don't have a lot to lose lower your deficit. You shouldn't be aiming for a large one when you are smaller. The smaller you are the less likely your body wants to let go of the weight. Lower your weekly goal to 0.5lbs per week or figure out your TDEE and take 10% off.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Thank you, I am trying not to panic. Like I said it's just hard because last time I lost weight it DID come off in perfectly linear chunks. I don't understand why it's different this time!

Each time you lose weight will not be the same. Usually weight loss is not linear.

Don't freak out.. lower your deficit and keep going. Things will change. Change up the exercise you do as well.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

I think a lot of this can be chocked up to measurement error. Being off by 1/4" is very possible if you're measuring yourself. Fluid retention from the new workout plan and weightlifting can cause the 1 lb difference in expected weight versus what is really on the scale too. 1 lb difference is very hard to detect with any precision especially in women who tend to fluctuate more than men. The zig-zag calorie plan could very well be contributing to this also.

Furthermore, since you have so little weight to drop, two weeks isn't nearly long enough to know if your plan is working or not. Your rate of loss is going to be very very slow right now. Most of the people I know who are this close to their goal weight, it can take a full month for them to drop a pound and a full year to drop ten pounds.

I think you just need to work on being more consistent with your diet and patient. Weigh and measure once per month, try to keep your sodium and fluid intake at a consistent level (doesn't have to be ultra-low), and be consistent with your workout routine.

Sounds to me like you're doing very well and just need to work on being more patient.

^Yep! Give it more time!
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I notice I gain about a pound before my cycle and lose double it a week after it ends.

If you are counting calories, be a little stricter about measuring portions. The devil is in the details. Although only calories should technically matter, if there is anything very processed / sugary, consider cutting it out for a few days and seeing if that helps at all.
    Try short bouts of very intense activity during your workouts, like a 30 second sprint.

I have been close to the same weight for the past two months because I not watched my calories very closely. Don't be discouraged; at least we are not gaining it back!
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options

Ah yes, I love Staci's story! Actually reading that was what got me into lifting last year :D Again, I really don't care about the scale as long as I'm getting smaller - I'd kill to look like Staci - but my measurements aren't changing at all (and that's over 2 months, not 2 weeks). I am trying to take a deep breath and be patient though!
    To build muscle, you have to eat at a surplus. Yes there are cases where some are able to build muscle wile on a deficit, but that is the exception to the rule. Try eating at maintenance (TDEE) or a little above while lifting heavy to build muscle then cutting calories while getting plenty of protein to lose any fat you gain. Keep bulking and cutting like that until you get to where you are happy with what you see in the mirror. That's just my two cents worth, but it is what I would do.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Are you overexercising? Training breaks the body down, nutrition and rest builds it back up again, you say you ran every day over Christmas and now you have added Insanity. Overreaching/ overtraining puts the body into a state of stress which can encourage muscles to be burned and fat to be retained, changes in training type also can cause more glycogen fuel to be held and/ or low grade inflammation both of which mean more water held. Even professional athletes cycle hard and easy days, hard and easy weeks they don't go hammer and tongs all year round.

Sodium and alcohol completely mess with your water balance too - water alone is not the solution, are you eating a ton of foods rich in potassium, magnesium and other minerals? Many of us don't consume enough and these are lost in sweat. Also any nutrient imbalances can affect energy production and metabolism, basically how easy it is for you to drop fat. I don't see any sense in being upset when you just had a cheat day and could easily be feeling the effects of that. Maybe work on getting all the recommended servings from each food group, remembering your needs for all nutrients are increased by an intense exercise regime - they can double with am hour of moderate to intense activity five times a week. TBH there is altogether too much ready made stuff and not enough nutrient dense wholefoods in your diary.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Read the first post of this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113609-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner

ideally read the whole thread if you can. It is made for people like you.

You have to remember that water will not only effect scale readings but also body fat and measurements depending on how you take them.

You're fine. Keep going.
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    To build muscle, you have to eat at a surplus. Yes there are cases where some are able to build muscle wile on a deficit, but that is the exception to the rule. Try eating at maintenance (TDEE) or a little above while lifting heavy to build muscle then cutting calories while getting plenty of protein to lose any fat you gain. Keep bulking and cutting like that until you get to where you are happy with what you see in the mirror. That's just my two cents worth, but it is what I would do.

Thank you, I have actually done that before. In my post I said I was "maintaining" since March, but I actually did a bulking/cutting cycle in there. I enjoyed it, especially the bulking part haha. I definitely have more muscle now than I did last year. I'd just like to lose more fat.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Not to get too personal, but are you about to start your period?

That was going to be my first question. I gain up to 10lbs the 7 to 14 days before she shows for her visit. USually not that much since I've lost but the little the OP has seen could easily be just simple daily weight fluctuations.
  • Sw0914
    Sw0914 Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm not an expert by any means - otherwise I'd be Mr. Olympia; however you said something and talked about something that made me instantly think I had some idea of what was going on:

You said "I've been working my butt off for two months and I've lost nothing - in fact, I've gained". You also mentioned you've been doing Insanity and that you lift.

Perhaps your body has gotten to such a point now that it has reached it's "spot" and has decided that it's time to build some muscle-mass. Again, I'm no expert but a body can only lose so much and keep burning so much. At some point it levels off and it becomes difficult to burn off excess weight and your body begins to sculpt/tone with muscle as opposed to just losing extra fat (which may just not be there to lose).

My guess is that since you've been working so hard - you've been inadvertently putting on muscle mass or sculpting/toning the existing muscle into a stronger, denser (i.e. weighs more) core.

That's just this guys outside perspective so take it for what it's worth.

Edit: before tpt1950 explains that muscle mass does not 'weigh more' than fat - what I mean is - it is denser - so you can have more mass in the same area (so you notice no size increase in your body) but your weight increases.

He brings up a good point....what's your body fat%? Has that decreased? I think it takes a good month to detox from the holidays. I would cut down on a lifting workout or two per week and increase your cardio. That will assist in flushing out all of the badness from your holiday break. Cut out alcohol for the next couple of weeks while you are getting your body chemistry back into your norm and I bet you'll see the scale start to move. Keep up your chin--you are more than your weight. Don't let your emotions derail you.
  • CaliSteph
    CaliSteph Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I don't any advice but just wanted to stay don't beat yourself up to much. Just keep going and stay positive. You've had some great success and will continue to do so.

Good luck at your pageant!