I'm so depressed.

Options
124»

Replies

• gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way (and still do sometimes) but time is managable... get a notebook and track little things that burn calories.

Brushing your teeth and doing some squats at the same time.
    Washing dishes and some leg lifts at same time.
    Getting the mail at a jog.
    Park at the far end of the lot.
    A few situps before you ever get out of bed.

Get creative and just find ways to move your body more. Make a deal with yourself that you can't watch your favorite show, or have dinner, until you do 10 min on the elliptical.

You will soon find that a little effort goes a long way to making it easier.
  • Hazel2005
    Hazel2005 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that, got the T-shirt and darn it, I'm too fat to wear it!! I have said before this is my last go at this but I havent' "started" anything so it can't end. I've just changed the way I'm eating and cooking and the results will be my biggest motivation. I truly sympathize simply because I know the feeling, I also deal with clinical depression, and before my mind set just wasn't where I needed to be to keep going. No matter how much I wanted it, I always caved to these excuses and they are excuses. It is just easier to give up. It's daunting, it's work, seems unattainable (for me anyway, over 100 lbs) but If I can get there, anyone can.

One of my biggest "reasons" for not sticking to it before was a time issue. Working, kids, cooking, cleaning, just not enough time in the day. I felt guilty if I wasn't doing something for the family, the house, work, whatever. The light finally went on - if I am doing something for me, taking care of me, making time for me, I really am doing something for everyone else. They will benefit too. They eat what I eat, I'm slowly getting more energy, my frustration is down so more patience, I'm happier, the list will go on and on. A good portion of us work and at work when we have too much on our plate we delegate. That's what I did at home. I don't do everything anymore, everyone helps and recently they volunteered to do so to free up more time for me - yay!

You can do this - you have already started and you don't even know it - just by posting this. I truly was the poster child for excuses but not any more. My weight will not prevent me from doing anything anymore. Of all the things I don't have control over in life, what I can control is what I eat, how much I move and knowing that I am doing everything I can just one day at a time towards happiness.

MFP has wonderful resources and lots of motivational stories. Just be prepared though. You will receive some amazing support to motivate you as well as a good kick in the butt if you need it. All part and parcel to help us along. Good Luck!

(sorry for the rant, your post just kind of hit a soft spot in me) :blushing:
  • lostbuthappy
    lostbuthappy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try focusing on just calories and leave the exercising to when you feel you have better control over your eating habits. I found that working out caused me to want to eat more. I always struggled with hunger pains. Once I stopped and focused on getting through a month of lowering my calories, eating well, and overcoming hunger pains. I slowly added more exercise. Like walking my dog a mile or two. I have lost 22lbs in 5 mo and about a month ago I started working out 3x a week to tone and strengthen. Of course the minute I started working out the more I wanted to eat. But by that time I had better control mentally of my hunger pains and I had a plan in my head to resist overcoming my urges to over eat. Baby steps, girls. You can do it!
  • HeidibooJB
    HeidibooJB Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Find a Zumba class in your area. Try it. Know that you feel silly or embarrased at first; you won't know the moves, you will be uncoordinated. Keep at it. You will start to love it, the people you w/o with, the atmosphere, and the way you feel. I had back surgery 6 years ago due to two ruptured disks, was at my heaviest, and felt hopeless. I always loved to dance, and heard about Zumba, so I thought I'd give it a go. Six years later, I'm 60 lbs lighter, and I teach 5+ classes a week. For the first time in my life I like the way clothes fit, and I'm getting paid to do something that I absolutely LOVE!!
  • Hazel2005
    Options
    Find a Zumba class in your area. Try it. Know that you feel silly or embarrased at first; you won't know the moves, you will be uncoordinated. Keep at it. You will start to love it, the people you w/o with, the atmosphere, and the way you feel. I had back surgery 6 years ago due to two ruptured disks, was at my heaviest, and felt hopeless. I always loved to dance, and heard about Zumba, so I thought I'd give it a go. Six years later, I'm 60 lbs lighter, and I teach 5+ classes a week. For the first time in my life I like the way clothes fit, and I'm getting paid to do something that I absolutely LOVE!!

THIS!! I also want to do this!
  • TENILLE44
    TENILLE44 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem where I did not have the energy or motivation left too work out in the evenings. I would come home and take care of my son and be too tired to do anything after that or something would come up and I would run out of time in the day.

I started to set my alarm for 1 hour earlier in the morning. I go to the gym ( I don't have any machines at home) and I alternate jogging and riding the bike for 30 minutes. It may not be a total workout but it is enough to make me feel good.

I still get home at around the time I used to wake up but I feel good because I started the day by doing something for me before having to be the working mom the rest of the day (taking care of the rest of the world).
  • Hazel2005
    Options
    An old one, but a good one - hope the link works!

http://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448 (Now I think it works)
  • aortiz1112
    Options
    Wow! Really great positive advice from everyone, and I agree that you should build up a support network, we are all in this together!
    If you find yourself too tired at night, try getting up 10 mins earlier in the morning and doing 3-5 mins to begin with, either the eliptical or jumping jacks, stretching, etc...
    I find if I do what I can in the morning before the kids get up, (I have a 2yo, 3yo, and 2 wk old) it gives me a sense of accomplishment, and I have more energy...and right now I can only walk, nothing strenuous or vigorous, but I am determined to do it, and even 3 mins of exercise makes a difference each day...
    You will find that once you do 3 mins each day for 5 days, you can add another minute, and each wk it will get easier...
    If you are determined you will find the way that works for you, good luck, am here cheering you on and believing in you!
  • mghanie
    mghanie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You have already taken the first step and you don't even know it. You've identified the issue and you've reacted to it.

Now, two things are going to help you.

One, you have to just get on the elliptical. Just do it. You can find 15 minutes to do it. You have to. Once you do, it'll be easier the next time. You may even look forward to doing it. Kick your metabolism in the *kitten*, tell it to wake up!

Two, you need to prep your food a little bit. This starts at the grocery store. Label reading, substitutes, alternative foods ie: turkey sausage vs pork sausage. Use the site for 2 weeks to honestly assess your calorie intake. It helps identify problem foods and problem times of the day. Then use the site to coordinate meals, eliminate the REALLY bad, and work in healthy items.

It's not going to happen overnight. It will take time, but the right choices will get you there. No magic pills, and it's not always easy. If you want it bad enough, you can do it!

This ^ you CAN do it!! Wishing you the best of luck!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    The original post was months ago, so you may no longer need encouragement. However, if you do (or if anyone else does)...I talk myself into 15 minutes. Just do 15 minutes. If after 15 minutes you want to do more and have time? Great, do it. But just 15 minutes a day. It is almost over after you begin!

Also, it is hard not to get discouraged when you don't look the way you want to, but Rome wasn't built in a day. None of us gained weight overnight, and we can't take it off overnight. We didn't get out of shape in a week, so we can't get in shape in a week.

Hold your head up and know you are doing something good for yourself every time you eat a healthy meal, go for a walk, or do that 15 minutes (or more). Stay off the scale for a while - just focus on the lifestyle changes!

And if you need someone to cheer you on, friend me!

Kylie

um? the original post was yesterday...lol

you can do this

eat right
    work hard
    rinse
    repeat
  • Nichelledr
    Nichelledr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dont give it, dont let your feeling get to you, when you let your emotions get you will end up giving up
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    The original post was months ago, so you may no longer need encouragement. However, if you do (or if anyone else does)...I talk myself into 15 minutes. Just do 15 minutes. If after 15 minutes you want to do more and have time? Great, do it. But just 15 minutes a day. It is almost over after you begin!

Also, it is hard not to get discouraged when you don't look the way you want to, but Rome wasn't built in a day. None of us gained weight overnight, and we can't take it off overnight. We didn't get out of shape in a week, so we can't get in shape in a week.

Hold your head up and know you are doing something good for yourself every time you eat a healthy meal, go for a walk, or do that 15 minutes (or more). Stay off the scale for a while - just focus on the lifestyle changes!

And if you need someone to cheer you on, friend me!

Kylie

um? the original post was yesterday...lol

you can do this

eat right
    work hard
    rinse
    repeat

This!! I've been there, but time to pull yourself up and start again. If you want this badly enough you will achieve it. Good luck to you. :)
  • dominoid747
    dominoid747 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The more energy you use, the more you end up with. It's weird, but exercise seems to be exponential like that. I sleep less and get more done since I started exercising more. The difficult part is starting so you can get to that point.

I think the key thing is, do you actually WANT to go on an elliptical trainer? It seems like you may not actually like the exercise itself. If you don't enjoy it, what's the point of doing it? I run and I lift weights. I enjoy these things, it gives me a chance to go into my own little world with my music and I like that. It's what keeps me going. If you do something you enjoy, then you'll keep doing it because you'll look forward to it. If you're doing it because you feel you should, you will fall off the wagon soon enough. If you're in the latter camp, then I'd suggest finding a method of exercise that you enjoy more. Maybe find a sport, or get computer games that promote fitness like dancing games or Wii Fit.
  • calamity71
    calamity71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Don't wait for your kids to go to sleep. I can tell you I have been where you are. I am tired all the time and once my *kitten* touches my recliner....it doesn't get up again. (even still) so I get home start dinner and while dinner is cooking I throw on a video..and my kids who are teens stir) or my husband cooks. If your kids are little...you could dance around the house with them for your exercise. Do a zumba tape at home with them. (I have never done zumba....just seems it is a popular dance and a lot at home tapes...free youtube videos). Just do something before sitting to relax.

When the weather is nice outside I jog before coming home from work.....Anything I can do before getting home is helpful. At work I walk during my breaks. This adds up.

Start with committing to 10 minutes of exercise a day. Then you can move it up....but just commit to it. I am committed to 300 minutes a week. This is hard for me...but I put it down as my goal at the beginning of the week and work toward it everyday.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Workout at work if possible. I do, its not difficult, just requires willingness to do it. Eat right, do little things to make burn (even as little as taking stairs instead of taking the elevator). The little things add up.

Also, please don't say you're depressed to describe your situation. Its a slap on the face to many people. This is just an inconvenience and I believe you can get over it easily.

Good luck
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Maybe the elliptical is not for you. Find some activity that you enjoy like dancing or yoga. If you have a Wii or Kinect, they make active games that you can play. You just have to find a rhythym that works for you.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    If you are actually suffering from depression, the best thing you can do for yourself is make the time to exercise. When I started getting back into shape a little over one year ago, I was still knee-deep in post pardum depression, averaging 4-5 hours of broken sleep a night and eating terribly. I started exercising first...20 minutes of walking a day, pushing my two little boys in a stroller. Then 2 weeks later, I started working on my eating habits. Bit by bit, I chipped away at it...even on the days that PPD was so bad I could barely stand to be alive, I forced myself to keep going. And it worked. I still have depression, but I manage it sooooo much better now. And I'm 1/2 pound away from being 70 pounds lighter.

Exercise more, make better food choices, and you will get better. But only you can decide that you want to change.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Just make yourself get on the elliptical for 5-6 minutes. If you want to get off after that, do it... but I bet you'll keep going. Baby steps are still steps, after all!

The eating is hard, I know how you feel because I tend to do the same thing. One thing that helps for me is to jot down my meals for the day on a post it on the fridge. I put a big check mark over the ones I actually stick to, and an X over the ones I don't. My goal is just to see more checks than X's but when I do it, it usually works. It's kinda cheesy, I know, but I'm motivated by tracking things.

Good luck to you... just stick to it!