WHY AM I STILL FAT :(

Options

Replies

• FutureSkinnyMama03
    FutureSkinnyMama03 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any exercises right now or just cutting calories? I would try doing Jillians 30 day shred as a starter & then go from there. The 30 day program will tone a suprisingly great deal for just 30 days & then you can build off of it from there.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes awhile for the brain to catch up after weight loss. I also would recommend strength training if it's muscle definition that you are wanting.
  • sillyli234
    sillyli234 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    That is strange... I am also 5ft5, but I weigh 154...nobody believes I weigh 154 lbs though (people usually guess 140ish) since I can wear a size 8 in jeans.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I feel like I just walked into an ED meeting.

Few things:
    (1) I'm shorter than you and weigh more than you.
    (2) A size 8 is not big or small. In fact, telling me what size you are is useless if you don't tell me what brand/year/country you are going by. Measurements.
    (3) People suggesting that a perfectly healthy woman complaining of being "fat" might want to seek out professional help is not "rude" it's an appropriate response.
    (4) you said you just started going to the gym- don't cut your calories. You need to feed your body to build muscle. You don't want to be skin and bones. You want to have a nice healthy figure, which comes from having a certain amount of lean body mass and from a certain healthy percentage of body fat.
    (5) cut yourself some slack! You kicked *kitten* to get this far!

Signed,

Someone who weighs more than you, is shorter than you, and doesn't consider herself "fat"
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    No I see girls that are the same weight and in a size four I'm in a size 8. I don't get it

Weight and shape are 2 different things.
  • KRaemondH
    KRaemondH Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    sounds like BDD... its a hard thing to deal with cause the way you see yourself or the way that you view your numbers on a scale are COMPLETELY different than what you are in reality. You have probably seen yourself in a certain light for so long and have wanted to be something else for so long that you can't see past it no matter. might wanna stop working on the scale and start working on your mind a bit :) im a not judging at all by the way, i am saying this from experience. i got down to 125 from 255 and i thought i was the ugliest grossest and fattest girl ever still. even when i was big i was very pretty and just unhappy with me. it wasn't until i changed my thoughts around and (maybe not for you again not judging but) went to see someone i finally started to see myself in a new light. you are gorgeous honey, you might wanna turn up your lights :)<3 good luck
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    No I see girls that are the same weight and in a size four I'm in a size 8. I don't get it

It does sound somewhat psychological and i say that ony because i have gone through the same thing and no matter how much i lost, i was always convinced tht i was huge, fat and needed "to do better."

I'm the same height and when I have always been "heavier" than people my size. For instance, one of my pics on my profile, I was a small size 10 (UK size 10, US size 6) and when everyone asked me what weight I was, I was actually 147lbs!

I go to the gym a lot but even when I have been 135lbs I was really small but still "heavy" for what I thought I should be.

However, it's taken me years to realise and ingrain it in me that f*** the scale when you get to just the "overweight category" and below. Guys realise this more but for some reason women base their success on the number on the scale. Base it on inches, what clothes you are wearing, fitness and muscle tone.

At your weight, I severely doubt in any way that you're fat. X
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    it really is just in our heads...

It's more than that. The Culture says look like "this." No one makes peace with that all the time.
  • kateneyxx
    kateneyxx Posts: 59 Member
    Options

same height here ... and What i would give to be a size 8 sweetie!!! x :flowerforyou:
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    it really is just in our heads...

It's more than that. The Culture says look like "this." No one makes peace with that all the time.

but if you just look at yourself and do what YOU need, you can make peace with it, that was my point. It is in our heads b/c society makes us think we NEED to look like a supermodel to look good but if we can look at our self and not anyone else, we may think different. so it is in our heads that We still are not perfect b/c of those issues, if we don't think of them, then we will be more accepting of ourselves...
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I use to be 160 then went to 140 and when I was 140 and I would always say if I was just 120 I would be able to wear a bikini ... Now I'm 123-126 and I still feel fat and disgusting.. Should I cut more calories. I started going to the gym again two weeks ago haven't missed a day since. Please help!

therapy
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Without being able to you your food we can't help you with that. Without seeing a full body pics it's hard to comment on that.

Here is what I THINK is going on based on past MFPers.

1. you're probably not eating enough
    2. you are probably skinny fat. Let me explain before you get sad.

All this mean is you are at a good weight but you don't have a lot or any muscle tone. This is easily fixed
    with weight lifting. Feed your muscle with the food and eat your calories and you'll see big changes fast.

I'll give you an example.
    My trainer Dean married his wife when she was 99 lbs (5'1) and a size 6.
    She is now 115 lbs (still 5'1) and a size ZERO.
    How is this possible. She lifts heavy and eats her food.

Now go get that body you want.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I feel like I just walked into an ED meeting.

Few things:
    (1) I'm shorter than you and weigh more than you.
    (2) A size 8 is not big or small. In fact, telling me what size you are is useless if you don't tell me what brand/year/country you are going by. Measurements.
    (3) People suggesting that a perfectly healthy woman complaining of being "fat" might want to seek out professional help is not "rude" it's an appropriate response.
    (4) you said you just started going to the gym- don't cut your calories. You need to feed your body to build muscle. You don't want to be skin and bones. You want to have a nice healthy figure, which comes from having a certain amount of lean body mass and from a certain healthy percentage of body fat.
    (5) cut yourself some slack! You kicked *kitten* to get this far!

Signed,

Someone who weighs more than you, is shorter than you, and doesn't consider herself "fat"

^I'd go with this OP. Besides, anyone wearing those socks could not be wrong! :drinker:
  • kcatlin9
    kcatlin9 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    How much of your diet is carbs? Shifting more to protein and building muscle may take off some of that stubborn softness.
  • pozenra
    Options
    You are definitely not fat. I think, you need to consider your shape. Clothing, in general these days, is not made for curvey girls. I am extremely hourglass-y and have to wear all different designers. I used to shop with a friend who is bigger than I am, but straight. Sometimes, she and I would have to wear the same size. It was hard to get over not being a size 4 or 6 when all of my friends were, but eventually, you can look in the mirror and know you look good, regardless of what that label says. Find clothing that fits your body and your shape.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I sort of suffer from the same issue, I haven't been able to fully wrap my head around my weight loss.I was also in denial about my weight gain, so I am sure it will come with time. Silly as it seems, this site helped me to see myself more than a mirror could.

http://www.modelmydiet.com/

I was better able to picture myself as others see me. I plugged in my starting stats and then my current stats and being able to see the difference in models helped me.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I think you are probably skinny fat. You do not need to lose more weight, you need to build more muscle...and it will take more than 2 WEEKS.

8213431311_eecd2df7b1_m.jpg
    gray top pics by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

in the left picture I was 188-199 pounds. I wore a 42DD bra and size 16/18 pants
    In the right picture I am 196 pounds. I am wearing a 38C bra and 12-14 shorts.
    the difference? I have been strength training for 10 months, 2 of them HEAVY.

get in the weight room and start lifting weights. By the time it is swim suit season, I think you will like your body much better.
  • mgram2
    mgram2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate to this.
    i'm 5'5" and I've lost 40+ lbs and now weigh 121 -- I was 118 before the holidays :/
    I feel like no matter how much weight I lose.. I still feel like I could lose a couple more.
    I wear a 0-2 in American Eagle jeans.. and KNOW that I'm not overweight.. in fact I'm getting close to being underweight.
    It really is just a mental thing.
    I've spent years and years feel like the bulky awkward girl in my own body - it's really hard to shed that image.