WHY AM I STILL FAT :(

Options

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    you did exactly the same thing to me. i was just basing my post on your post that was cherry picking what i said. the o.p. used pants size as a reason for thinking she's fatter than her friends. i said why that might not be true.

the post we commented on was pretty brief. there was nothing inspirational about it. saying the situation is weird does equate to saying the person is weird in this case. there is nothing "weird" about the situation to begin with.

You are still doing it! That person DID NOT use the word weird they used the word strange YOU used the word weird. Weird and strange are NOT synonyms and saying a situation is strange DOES NOT mean a person is strange except in your head. I come from a family full of teachers so am reasonably confident on comprehension.

weird, strange, same idea.

we are proving our comprehension skills based on what our family does for a living now? okay then...
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Weird and strange are NOT synonyms...

http://thesaurus.com/browse/weird?s=t

weird and strange are listed as synonyms.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You're not fat.

Reduce your bodyfat through resistance training. Otherwise, you'll continue to weigh less with pretty much the same bodyfat.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Weight is actually one of the worst measures of fitness. Body fat percentage is far more accurate. Try

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

to get an idea of what your actual body fat percentage is. I also like to compare photos of various body fat percentages to determine approximately what I am looking to achieve...

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

My current body fat percentage is near 20% and my goal is 10-12%. To achieve a better body fat ratio, we want to reduce fat while either maintaining or preferably increasing lean body mass. That being said, it usually takes increased protein intake with a strong lifting program to build muscle.

Best wishes on attaining the shape you long for.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

Good article, I wish it talked more about what to do about this distorted thinking though.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    You are not fat, you have self esteem issues. The best thing you can do is stop criticizing yourself and start to see yourself in a more positive light. As a real "fat person" at 270lbs, people that are les than 130lbs complaining they are fat irritate the **** out of me!!

Please remember this if you manage to lose weight. I've lost 90 pounds, wear a size 6-8 and STILL feel fat. It irritates the **** out of me too. My former 250+ pound self would want to slap me and tell me to shut up, but the 165 pound me knows I still have weight to lose and sizes to drop to be where I want to be.
  • AnahitaCanDoIt
    Options
    Years of hating your body and the self-talk "I'm repulsive, I look disgusting, I'm so fat, I hate my body (thighs, *kitten*, whatever)" is very damaging. It takes a long time to rewrite a script, especially, if like me, you had that self-talk script running for 30+ years!! Multiple times every day....

So as a fellow person who has lost a lot of weight (and gained some back!) I will say, change your self-talk ...seems fake at first but do it many times a day...over and over...make it override your previous script...

Also, I would ignore the scales and go by clothes size and/or measurements...
  • Sweet_Pea0107
    Options
    you did exactly the same thing to me. i was just basing my post on your post that was cherry picking what i said. the o.p. used pants size as a reason for thinking she's fatter than her friends. i said why that might not be true.

the post we commented on was pretty brief. there was nothing inspirational about it. saying the situation is weird does equate to saying the person is weird in this case. there is nothing "weird" about the situation to begin with.

You are still doing it! That person DID NOT use the word weird they used the word strange YOU used the word weird. Weird and strange are NOT synonyms and saying a situation is strange DOES NOT mean a person is strange except in your head. I come from a family full of teachers so am reasonably confident on comprehension.

Oh dear... I don't come from a family of teachers but I do know what synonym means. Weird and strange are synonyms of each other. They can also be used interchangebly.

Example: That family is weird. That family is strange.
    Both mean the same. Hmmm... the word odd could also be used.
  • NatalieJane92
    Options
    cutting calories isnt a great thing to do. my diet and nutrition lecturer always says to us.. never count calories. Just eat regular and in balance. cut the crap snacks for nuts/fruit and exercise as much as you can! everyone has a weight that is healthy for their body type/shape.
  • Viveyp21
    Viveyp21 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I feel like I just walked into an ED meeting.

Few things:
    (1) I'm shorter than you and weigh more than you.
    (2) A size 8 is not big or small. In fact, telling me what size you are is useless if you don't tell me what brand/year/country you are going by. Measurements.
    (3) People suggesting that a perfectly healthy woman complaining of being "fat" might want to seek out professional help is not "rude" it's an appropriate response.
    (4) you said you just started going to the gym- don't cut your calories. You need to feed your body to build muscle. You don't want to be skin and bones. You want to have a nice healthy figure, which comes from having a certain amount of lean body mass and from a certain healthy percentage of body fat.
    (5) cut yourself some slack! You kicked *kitten* to get this far!

Signed,

Someone who weighs more than you, is shorter than you, and doesn't consider herself "fat"

love this!
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Weight is just a number -- there are girls who are underweight who look and feel flabby because they have insufficient muscle to hold everything together in a tight sexy package.

You've lost a lot of weight, which includes fat, but also muscle. Now you have to work your butt off to improve muscle tone and sculpt your body.

But no amount of sexy sculpting will ever be enough if you can't appreciate yourself. So work on the mental game too of learning to love yourself unconditionally and appreciating all the great things!

x

Edited to add: to add lean muscle mass, you need a calorie SURPLUS in tandem with a consistent workout regime based around lifting and toning (yoga, pilates are great). It will feel strange eating over your calories after practicing eating under for so long, but you need this to put on muscle to tighten up your body.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    you're saying that wider hips due to bone structure have nothing to do with pants size? well, then you're just completely wrong. i never claimed that it makes you "fat". the o.p. was complaining about being a larger pants size and i suggested that wider hips could be the issue which would have nothing to do with fat. if you take my skeleton and compare it to the skeleton of a person who has more narrow hip bones, their skeleton would wear a smaller pants size. At my skinniest as a kid, I had no fat on my hips and my hip bones jut out because there was still bone there, but no fat. I still wore a size 6. There is no way you could say that it's due to fat in that case.

that post just said that she's "weird" for wearing a larger pants size. that person did not say how they got there or if they worked hard, just that the other person is weird. it was rude in this thread. i don't see how that post would inspire anyone.

Please don't tell me what I am saying. You just erroneously paraphrased/ cherry picked my post AND the post we both commented on AND the OP's comments. Try reading what people actually post instead of what nasty and negative thing you expect to read, saying a situation is strange DOES NOT equal saying a person is weird. The OP claimed she is FAT in the title and that she felt FAT in the first post, she did not simply say she had a large pants size or measurements. Again bones are hard fat is not, most people can tell the difference on their own body.

When I was younger I partially based how "fat" I was on pants size. I always felt far even at 5'6 101 pounds because of pants size and cellulite. Your mind can play awful tricks on you.

The point I'm trying to make is that it is not a big assumption to say the poster associated at least partially being fat with her pants size being larger than average.
  • VaporeonSugar
    VaporeonSugar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Tone those abs lovely! You're at the right weight for your height, so try not too lose too much more or you'll bump into the "low" BMI range. The only number I'm looking for on the scale is 136 which is the highest "healthy" BMI possible for my height. As long as I can manage some muscle after that and don't see my stomach, I'm good.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    That is strange... I am also 5ft5, but I weigh 154...nobody believes I weigh 154 lbs though (people usually guess 140ish) since I can wear a size 8 in jeans.

nice brag post. I don't think that the o.p.'s situation is strange at all. It could be just a matter of having wider hips than other women and have nothing to do with body fat percentage. Nothing we can do about bone structure. People are a different bone structure even at the same weight. Doesn't make them strange.

I work in lifestyle healthcare - perhaps nine times out of ten it's body composition or fat distribution, rarely bone structure. And that is coming from someone who is average height, small chest shoulders wrists and feet, currently healthy BMI but awful bodyfat so no bragging here. Having wide hips makes you a different silhouette it doesn't make you 'fat' bones are hard little beasties.

I encourage my clients to 'congratulate themselves and 'boast' to others about their achievements in the gym or with their diet, why should people be modest when they have worked incredibly hard? Do we want people to quietly say they just passed their honours degree when actually they got the highest grade? Or should they be proud and celebratory?

IME it boosts their self confidence and it does inspire others to work hard/ to realise they are capable of working much harder than they have been. As a female it's so much easier for me to 'bully' female clients into trying a weight that is double or more what they have previously lifted. People don't need every comment soft soaped sometimes they need the bare faced truth.

Well if wide child birthing hips, as they call them , rarely exist ...there are a lot of special snowflakes here including myself. Wow I didn't know it was only 10% of the population. Anecdotal research is not fact.

There are many reasons OP could be dissatisfied. I would say to the OP don't lose any more weight, you probably need to strength train for some muscle, you might lose a size of clothing doing this. Nothing will really change your body shape though, if you are a pear shaped gal, you'll always be a pear shaped gal!
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    No I see girls that are the same weight and in a size four I'm in a size 8. I don't get it

well there are many factors to that. I could be a size 8 at 150lbs or size 8 at 135. BUt Ive had 3 children and i dont have any muscles yet.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    it really is just in our heads...

It's more than that. The Culture says look like "this." No one makes peace with that all the time.

but if you just look at yourself and do what YOU need, you can make peace with it, that was my point. It is in our heads b/c society makes us think we NEED to look like a supermodel to look good but if we can look at our self and not anyone else, we may think different. so it is in our heads
    that We still are not perfect b/c of those issues, if we don't think of them, then we will be more accepting of ourselves...

I was acknowledging the difficulty of getting over internalized ideas. A problem of a society in which we hype self-help - - like many other things - - is that people think they have more control than they do. I didn't say cave and accept it. But understand the scale of the problem.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    That is strange... I am also 5ft5, but I weigh 154...nobody believes I weigh 154 lbs though (people usually guess 140ish) since I can wear a size 8 in jeans.
    nice brag post. I don't think that the o.p.'s situation is strange at all. It could be just a matter of having wider hips than other women and have nothing to do with body fat percentage. Nothing we can do about bone structure. People are a different bone structure even at the same weight. Doesn't make them strange.
    Pretty sure she's arguing a point, not bragging. And since you've argued for pages that this poster was calling the OP weird I figured I'd bump it, because she definitely is not. There's a big difference between a situation being out of the ordinary, and a person being weird. What can cause a persons pants size to be larger then what their weight indicates? A high body fat percentage (as the poster above has shown) or wide hips (as you have shown, even though you have also stated that you still feel 'fat':
    maybe you need to build some muscle? i'm 5'4" and 116 and still kinda feel fat myself. thinking i need to start building muscle.

OP: I was 5'7 and 120lbs and still felt squishy. I started lifting things and felt a lot better about it :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Bump to check out later.
  • jen81uk
    jen81uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I still have a bit to go (10lb) but I still feel fat and wobbly when I lose. I know I'm not fat, I need to tone, I know that this is the issue... I just need to sort it now xx
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    If you're basing your idea of fat or not on what size you're wearing ...STOP. That's an arbitrary number set by manufacturers. Different clothes fit differently made by different makers but all labled the same size. And your bone structure isn't exactly like any one else's either. I see posts from people my height and weight who are wearing sizes 8 to 10. I'm wearing 14s. I am not freaking out about it...its a meaningless number. Your weight sounds proportionate to your height..good! Get toned and fit if you want to make more changes,..and focus on being healthy, not some number on a price tag.