Thinking about running

Options
Hi, I just started dieting Mon. I have been doing cardio/strength training at home and Zumba. But...( and I can't believe I am saying this)..I have always been interested in running. I've never done it other than during high school and that was yrs ago. I am looking at the c25k program. It seems like it's a great way to begin. Anyone who is a runner, can you please give me some tips that have helped you? Keeping in mind everyone was a beginner at some point it would help knowing what your successes have been and which things have not worked or not. Do you eat before like 30-60 min beforehand, or do you have just a protein shake, or snack and then eat afterward? What is best early am or pm, etc. etc..I know the most logical thing is to be like Nike and "just do it", however, i don't want to sabatoge myself right off the bat. Thanks for your help!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The C25K programme is brilliant for beginners. You don't need to worry too much about fuelling until you're running much longer distances, but it's probably more comfortable not to run straight after a meal. Time of day won't make much difference either, just do it whenever it suits you.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    What is your main goal? Become a better runner, or concentrate on fat loss? Or muscle gain? The answer would be different depending on what your main goal is.

If you wanted to simply add running to your repertoire without cutting out other cardio, then I would think you can use running as cardio every other day or so. I never eat within 2 hours before a cardio workout because if I do, I get crampy, nauseous, or both. Others have different experiences, though. I have a protein shake afterwards which relieves the "OMG I need food" feeling I get after a great workout. As far as timing of the workout, go with what works best for YOUR personal schedule. The difference in exercising in the morning versus night is so minimal that it doesn't matter. So just pick with what fits your schedule the best and what you like the best (because ultimately that's what you will keep doing in the long run).

If you want to focus on being a runner, then I would suggest making that your cardio ONLY and start out slowly. The C25K is a great idea, and you can keep it going from there.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Running>thinking about running.

Stop about when to eat, what to wear, how to log, etc and go run. That other stuff we'll figure out in dye time. Right now, just do it
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Running is such an individual thing that I would echo the thoughts of others and suggest just going for it. The c25k programme sounds a great way to start. Play around with times to run to see what works best for you. And - very important - make sure you invest in decent running trainers and a sports bra! Good luck.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses, and I haven't been running that long, but here goes:

-Get fitted for good running shoes. These will run you maybe $100+, but totally worth it.
    -Couch to 5k. Loved this program. There's apps, but you can also just download the schedule off the internet and use a timer and run it yourself.
    -Don't try to run, try to jog. Start slow. Repeat days/weeks of the program as necessary, ease into it.
    -Early on take REST DAYS. C25k is 3 days a week with at least 1 day of rest inbetween. Later on you can add more in, but when you get started take it easy so you don't get injured and can keep doing it.
    -Make sure to hydrate well during the day. This was tough for me, but often meant the difference between a good run and a bad run.
    -There will be bad days. It's okay, they'll be good ones too.
    -Experiment with eating and figure out what works for you. Early on you probably won't be "running" too much yet that it will matter, but later on figure out what works for you. I prefer to run with ot much in my stomach, but a lot of people do well with a banana or small lunch etc, and certain foods will work for you better than others.
    -Run at whatever time of day means you can keep doing it. I hate mornings so I do not jog in the morning.
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I agree with melanie ^^^ . Don't eat before when you are running shorter distances--it will just divert energy away from where you need it and may cause GI issues. Find what is comfortable for you as far as "when". I have friends that run first thing in the morning and swear by it. But early evening works for me. Don't be afraid to experiment.

The most helpful advice I got when I first started running was "slow down". I think we all have a tendency to sprint when we first get our running legs going. Not a good idea. You'll be much happier if you slow to what seems like a barely maintainable "run" pace. Our body systems get conditioned at different rates so while your heart and lungs might be ready to go your muscles may say "hey, slow down because I can't sustain this". Don't be afraid to try different things: hill runs, trail runs, city runs, treadmill runs. It's all good. I hope you end up with a passion for running--it's a great way to explore the world.
  • andread67
    andread67 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll!!!! Valuable information..I appreciate it!!:happy:
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    C25k is great. Remember its a guideline but you can modify it to fit your own personal needs. Instead of 9 weeks I took 4 months so I could repeat weeks till I was ready to move up to the next. I remember one of the early weeks that the jump between steps was a bit much for me so I created an inbetween stage where I swapped the walking and jogging portions because the jogging was too long for me still. Just take it easy and get started. What you wear, eat, time of day, etc is all preference and you will figure those things out as you go, although I agree with not eating too soon before a run. Also, the previous poster who said to slow down was spot on. Even now that I have been running for months I am still going slow because my goal is to build distance before speed, I loved the 5k and I want to do a 10k sometime this year. Going too hard, too fast will only burn you out and cause unnecessary soreness, not to mention putting you at higher risk for injury.

Go for it, get started. You'll love it. If I can start at over 300 lbs and run my first 5k 4 months later, imagine what you can do!
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I've been running before i eat (usually) which helps target fat calories. Try it with and without food a few times and see which you prefer. Also drink 8-16 ounces a few minutes before you start. It will help lessen the parched throat and mouth and replace water loss due to sweat. Most importantly though, put on your shoes and give it a shot. You won't believe what you can do until you do it.
  • ande30
    ande30 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the Runmeter app on my phone and its great. It is similar to the C25K where you start with running/walking together. It has plans for 5K, 10K, half marathon, and full marathon. I am using it now to train for a 5K I will be doing in June. It is really great if you are just starting out.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    C25k is a great programme, I started in may 2011 and have never looked back. Since you are a beginner don't buy anything fancy yet, you need to see if you enjoy it first. Worry about all the equipment later.

Follow the programme, walk briskly and run slowly. In time, you will get better and can think about more technical stuff like running shoes, clothes etc. enjoy it!! And good luck
  • Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    When i started running i couldnt run for more than 8 minutes. I just went out and when i felt like i wa going to die i went home. The next day id add on another minute and gradually built it up. Took me a long time but now im running 7 miles easily and i have just signed up for a half marathon. Just take it easy and enjoy it. If u push urself too hard ull end up dreading going for runs and really u want to enjoy it. I would defo recommend decent running shoes and getting them from a running shoe store. U will probs pay a little bit for them but the right shoes r totally worth it. Good running tights make a diffeence too as baggy gym trousers may get in the way. Dont worry about protein shakes, fuelling until u r running more than id say 90 mins. I dont eat an hour before a run but thats bout the only thing i keep an eye on. Feel free to add me and wishing u lots of luck with ur running x
  • jo_dibs
    jo_dibs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I started running last year and it's a love/hate relationship. It's hard, but I love the sense of accomplishment when I push myself and beat the progress I've made before.

Last December (2011) I started C25K - ran my first 5 K in March, kept going,and ran a 10K in August. That's 6 miles!!! I could barely run my first mile last January (the 30th to be exact). One thing that keeps me going is I keep a running journal. I write down milestones and personal bests. It helps keep me motivated after those really crappy runs. I also agree with one of the posters before who said jog, don't run. I have a very slow pace. It works for me, and I find it better not to compare myself to other people otherwise I get discouraged.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You sound like I did almost one year ago - I wanted to get into running, although I had zero running background whatsoever. I started the c25k program, completed the 9 weeks, and I'm still going. :bigsmile:

I used the c25kFREE app by Zen Labs. Worked great, easy to follow, and you can choose to play your own music through the app. I followed the program exactly, going out three days a week, and running as slowly as necessary to complete each day's goal. And by the end, I was able to run for 30 minutes without stopping.

As others have said, make sure you get some good shoes, fitted at a running store if you are able - or least a good brand that you've been comfortable with, that are least fairly new so they have good support and tread. Plan your week - I did all my runs outside, so I would always check the weather and adjust my running days if necessary - I didn't want to miss any of my training! And have fun! I felt so accomplished when I got through it all!

Oh, and look for a 5k race in your area happening after you'll be through the c25k program - having a race on your horizon is a great motivator to stick with it. And racing is a blast - it's a great way to celebrate your new running success!
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    The C25K programme is brilliant for beginners. You don't need to worry too much about fuelling until you're running much longer distances, but it's probably more comfortable not to run straight after a meal. Time of day won't make much difference either, just do it whenever it suits you.

^^^This

After you run longer distances or races, you can worry more about fueling and such. Just make sure you have a pair of running shoes that are comfortable and that you stretch out before and after.
  • inzalo
    inzalo Posts: 1
    Options
    I did the C25K app in October-November last year....I could never run distances in my life and was quite worried about how it would go....I down loaded the $1.98 app and it was the BEST $1.98 I have ever spent! I completed the course...got a little stuck in week 6 and repeated it as I didn't feel capable of moving to week seven but was fine after repeating week 6 once. Now I am addicted to running ... have lost 6.5kg (14lbs) and use "runkeeper" to run with. I ran a PB this morning of 7.5km in 50 mins.....
    do it .... you will never regret doing it but you will regret not giving it a go. Happy to help you out if you need any :smile: . Cheers Josie
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I go through phases of jogging - currently in an off phase - but I remember when I did there will come a point where you really want to stop. Could be 10minutes could be 2 minutes but PUSH THROUGH IT! Once you get through your first wall, you can go for longer than you think, then the endorphins kick in and you feel great!!
    As someone else said at first jog don't run. I think it's better to jog for 10 minutes than run for like 3. Its about building stamina, not speed IMO.
    Hope you go for a jog, and enjoy it. You'll ave to let us know ho it goes :-)
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Do C25K and run as slowly as possible without walking.

Repeat as many runs as you need to along the way.

Be persistent and keep trying hard.

Don't listen to the voice in your head that tells you to quit when you start getting tired.

Don't compare yourself (speed or distance) to others. Everyone started somewhere.

Don't feel self-conscious. No matter how slow, tired, sweaty, red-faced or out of breath you are, you're still running faster and farther than everyone who didn't get off the couch.

Running on the treadmill is harder to stick with than running outside. They feel very different. If you have to start on treadmill, switch to running outside eventually, because it is more fun.
  • twinders1
    Options
    Start slow and build up to longer distances. Stretch, Stretch, Stretch!! You can do it, no matter what age you start! After you have decided that running is for you, invest in some decent shoes. :happy:
  • twinders1
    Options
    What is the C52K? I am a techie newbie!