Calorie burn

Options
13»

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I think there may be some issue with the MFP app. I have put in several variations and it still tells me to put 1200 as my net calorie goal. I have put it up to 1400 as a result of the advice in this thread.

What did you put as your weight loss goal per week?
  • vanessarico
    Options
    I'm confused as to how to read the the diary. For example yesterday my cal coal was 1200, I ate 1095 and burned 462 cal, net was 633 and the remaining was 567. Should I have ate 567 cal more?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I'll take a lot of the advice here and up my calorie intake (which I have no problem with!). My BMR is lower than that so not sure how one applies to the other. (Should the net calorie goal be the same as BMR?)
    In any case, I'll reset my app to 1300 or 1400. Thanks all!

minimally you should net to BMR for healthy weight loss. it is the minimum your body needs for proper organ function if you were in a coma. In other words, if you were in a hospital in a coma, they would feed you your BMR through a tube to make sure you were getting the minimum nutrition your body needs to just run your internal organs.
  • westie750
    Options
    I think there may be some issue with the MFP app. I have put in several variations and it still tells me to put 1200 as my net calorie goal. I have put it up to 1400 as a result of the advice in this thread.

2lb a week, but I acutually just changed that to 1lb. I also read on another forum that a good way to calculate your calorie goal is to multiply your BMR by .2 then subtracting that from your BMR. Any advice on that?
  • westie750
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I'll take a lot of the advice here and up my calorie intake (which I have no problem with!). My BMR is lower than that so not sure how one applies to the other. (Should the net calorie goal be the same as BMR?)
    In any case, I'll reset my app to 1300 or 1400. Thanks all!

minimally you should net to BMR for healthy weight loss. it is the minimum your body needs for proper organ function if you were in a coma. In other words, if you were in a hospital in a coma, they would feed you your BMR through a tube to make sure you were getting the minimum nutrition your body needs to just run your internal organs.

Thanks, I will adjust accordingly. I don't understand why MFP suggested I stick to 1200...
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

2lb a week, but I acutually just changed that to 1lb. I also read on another forum that a good way to calculate your calorie goal is to multiply your BMR by .2 then subtracting that from your BMR. Any advice on that?

That's applies to your TDEE, not your BMR.

What you have described is deducting 20%, but that is from your maintenance calories, not your BMR. That's also the method linked to in the Roadmap thread linked earlier.

Good luck.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm confused as to how to read the the diary. For example yesterday my cal coal was 1200, I ate 1095 and burned 462 cal, net was 633 and the remaining was 567. Should I have ate 567 cal more?

Here's how it works:

you set your goals to lose 2 Lbs per week and MFP gave you a goal of 1,200 calories. MFP will never give you a lower net goal than that as netting below that number is extremely unhealthy.

Your caloric deficit is already built into that number. In other words...and I'm assuming you set up as sedentary...you could eat 1,200 calories and lose weight with no exercise at all. MFP does not include exercise in it's TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) calculation so any exercise you do is outside of the parameters of your profile set up. Therefore, you would eat back those exercise calories.

You will notice that MFP will give you 1,200 calories...but when you log exercise, that goal goes up...MFP expects you to eat them back because not doing so creates an excessive and unhealthy deficit.

So...1,200-567=633 net calories THIS IS VERY BAD AND VERY DANGEROUS! You would eat back those calories or at least a good portion of them (calorie burn estimates can be off). This is why when you log your exercise you will see your goal go from 1,200 to 1,767...1,767 is your gross but your net is still 1,200. (1,767-567=1,200net)
  • vanessarico
    Options

Here's how it works:

you set your goals to lose 2 Lbs per week and MFP gave you a goal of 1,200 calories. MFP will never give you a lower net goal than that as netting below that number is extremely unhealthy.

Your caloric deficit is already built into that number. In other words...and I'm assuming you set up as sedentary...you could eat 1,200 calories and lose weight with no exercise at all. MFP does not include exercise in it's TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) calculation so any exercise you do is outside of the parameters of your profile set up. Therefore, you would eat back those exercise calories.

You will notice that MFP will give you 1,200 calories...but when you log exercise, that goal goes up...MFP expects you to eat them back because not doing so creates an excessive and unhealthy deficit.

So...1,200-567=633 net calories THIS IS VERY BAD AND VERY DANGEROUS! You would eat back those calories or at least a good portion of them (calorie burn estimates can be off). This is why when you log your exercise you will see your goal go from 1,200 to 1,767...1,767 is your gross but your net is still 1,200. (1,767-567=1,200net)

Thank you cwolfman13 i had put that I'm moderately active, I spend eight hours on my feet and exercise when i get home. I should aim for the "remaining" to be at around zero for healthy weight loss.
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If you would have read my earlier post you would see that this comment was based on what SHE said she was already eating. I agree it is too low. It is rude to contradict people and incorrect to take things out of context. The fact is that it takes 3500 calories less than you burn to lose a pound.