Why is healthy food more expensive?

Options

Replies

• kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

In a country like America, where there is an obesity epidemic, the healthy food should be cheaper. This would lure people into eating healthy. Instead they jack up the price of healthy food, and drive people on tight budgets to fat food. No wonder 1/2 the country is obese. It makes me so angry!

It's not that they're "jacking up" the price of healthy food.... they're jacking up the prices on the things it takes to to GROW your healthy food. Stay out from 8am to 12am on the combine or pay a monthly bill of $12000 to feed cattle. Buy the healthy things. Appreciate the farmers. You've gotten some great ideas on how to make healthy eating more low cost.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    If you think it is expensive in America, bebop over to Europe, especially England. I asked a school teacher in London how they afford to eat - she said she just buys less and makes it work. She was very careful not to buy junk and enjoyed good food like salmon, fresh butter, and fruit but bought most of her vegetables frozen.

We can get a salmon dinner for under $10 in a lot of restaurants in Houston, Tx. Not so much in London England.
  • spacechick365
    spacechick365 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    We mostly shop at Safeway and have found that they re-stock their clearence sections on Tue afternoons. This includes meat and veggies. We buy the salads at 50% off that we are going to eat that week and they always have chicken and pork. We will buy that at 50% off as well. We also noticed that a lot of the boxed things that no one ele buys go there so when healthy things show up there we stock up. I spent $20 last week on pasta taht was made with aritichoke flower and considered low glysemic. Orinigally they were $2.50 a package but were on sale for $1.50 a package and then 50% off so I got them for $0.75 a piece. I also buy the produce when they run sales on it like right now avacados are $1 a piece so I buy a bunch of unripe ones so they last a bit. Oranges and Apples will store for months is kept cool so buy them when they are on sale. I also save the seeds from the veggies I buy in the winter so I can plant them in the spring. This can be hit or miss with how they turn out but I haven't had a problem yet. I even started a pineapple tree in my house that has a new pieapple forming and a pomegrante tree that has a few years to go (5-7 years to bear fruit). All of this has helped alot with my family of 5 in keeping the food bills down and 2 people have special food requirements. My father-in-law is diebetic and my son is allergic to dairy and eggs.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Take advantage of your Farmers Market! I go every Saturday and stock up. I can get a 10lb bag of potatos for $1. 4 Baskets of Strawberries for $5, Grapes for .89 cents a pound, Banana's for .39 cents a pound...The list goes on! Also, take advantage of your Bulk Barn(is that just Canadian) or local Bulk Store. That's where I get all my cereals, oats, pasta, rice, etc.

I am a frugal shopper and I am able to get all(and a lot of!) my healthy must haves for less!

**GRUMBLING ALERT**
    On that note, lots of places are not so fortunate as to have a farmer's market. Well, my town has one but guess when? Wednesday from 1Pm until 5PM. Guess when I get back to town after work? Yup, 5PM, if not later. The only people that get to use the FM are the retired and unemployed (not begrudging them, just wish I had the same chance at it.) The nearest bulk food store is over an hour and a half away.

I see what the OP is saying... there are places, right here in the US, where it really is so much more expensive to eat healthy. My town has three grocery stores, all national chains. I went shopping with my list of healthy items. Just to find a bag of "bulk" brown rice I had to literally scour shelves for over ten minutes, moving aside super cheap 5- and 10-pound bags of white rice and finally unearthed a 1-pound bag of brown rice. It cost the same as the 5 lb white. When I get lucky and find REAL rolled oats, I snatch it up like I found gold! Lentils? Almost never stocked. I can get any size bag of pinto beans I want thankfully, but a little variety would be nice. The brands of bulk frozen vegetables are the lowest quality you can imagine. It is like the company took the bits that most would put in a compost heap and packaged it.

I could go on and on, but my point is the OP has a valid point. Go to a poverty region,say the Mississippi Delta, and take a look around. It is a sad state of affairs. I am fortunate enough to have a job that allows me weekends off so I can plan ahead and make that 3 hour + round trip to stock my kitchen and pantry. Most here are not so lucky. It really seems so unfair that in a state with an economy that is based primarily on agriculture, so many really do not have ready access to a healthy diet.

Okay, I apologize now. My soapbox is back under the bed...
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I agree, the way to get around it is not to buy processed food and try frozen fruit rather than fresh e.g. berries. If it has more than one ingredient do not buy it.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Yep. they have even tested foods labeled as organic and some come back as testing positive for pesticide. I don't think it's intentional, it's just the nature of growing (wind can transport pesticides) and getting foods to market (they may be in close proximity to non-organic produce).

I am aware that the soil may not be technically organic. Many people do not realize how much more labor is involved in organic produce. The farmer works harder for organic produce...it SHOULD cost more! My Dad will spray to kill grass/weeds a few months before planting and then plant vegs. He doesn't spray after planting. If I just till the land b4 planting that is much more work than just spraying and let it die off. [my land here is not sprayed] When you do not spray your veggies you have to weed your garden every few days. this is more work. we purposefully plant veggies that are somewhat pest resistant like yellow boy tomatoes. We use things like moth balls to discourage deer from eating the crop. he will sometimes spray the crops w a beer soap solution that gets rid of bugs but certainly isn't' a pesticide. there are 'natural' things that can be done, but there is def more work involved. we see this on a small scale - as our garden is just for the extended family. i honestly cannot imagine the labor involved in having an organic garden for profit.
    LoL, you make a point. Growing vegetables is in my blood. Many people do not realize that organic = bugs. I often tell people if they buy a head of organic lettuce and don't find a bug, it prob isn't really organic. (Things at grocery stores labeled organic is 1 thing bc of regulations but there are people who sell at farmer's markets who will market as organic due to increased value). the only way to really know for sure that your produce is organic is to grow it yourself....but i don't think ppl want to accept this.
    After finding worms in my brussel sprouts, I say bring ONNNN the poison. I never buy organic, and I use the bag of frozen chicken breasts. It can be expensive if you let it, but there are definitely more economical choices if you think outside the box.

So so so true! My micro biology professor always jokes about how stupid it is that we call foods organic. Just get him started on the topic and he'll spend hours going on and on about how ridiculous it is and what a waste of money. By the way, the soil they use to grow organic vegetables is not completely organic. Did you know that the fertilizers they use contain coffee grounds and other substances that were not grown organically so there for it is not truly organic in that respect.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Yep. they have even tested foods labeled as organic and some come back as testing positive for pesticide. I don't think it's intentional, it's just the nature of growing (wind can transport pesticides) and getting foods to market (they may be in close proximity to non-organic produce).

I am aware that the soil may not be technically organic. Many people do not realize how much more labor is involved in organic produce. The farmer works harder for organic produce...it SHOULD cost more! My Dad will spray to kill grass/weeds a few months before planting and then plant vegs. He doesn't spray after planting. If I just till the land b4 planting that is much more work than just spraying and let it die off. [my land here is not sprayed] When you do not spray your veggies you have to weed your garden every few days. this is more work. we purposefully plant veggies that are somewhat pest resistant like yellow boy tomatoes. We use things like moth balls to discourage deer from eating the crop. he will sometimes spray the crops w a beer soap solution that gets rid of bugs but certainly isn't' a pesticide. there are 'natural' things that can be done, but there is def more work involved. we see this on a small scale - as our garden is just for the extended family. i honestly cannot imagine the labor involved in having an organic garden for profit.

another failing of our gov't and the FDA - you can label a product "Organic" even if it's only something like 13% organic.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    It amazes me that many people who ask me what / how I eat do not seem to know about boneless skinless chicken breast. It's as if it doesn't exist in their life (well it truly, probably doesn't). I get this for 1.50 to 1.88 per lb. Taking a pair of scissors, I trim off all of the fat and it's about the perfect lean meat for next to nothing. Now if you were to go to the meat counter and buy the pre-marinated and dressed breasts, yes, it's quite a bit more, maybe double the price or more depending on where you're buying it.

Learning to cook might get your costs down too.
  • algebravoodoo
    Options
    If you think it is expensive in America, bebop over to Europe, especially England. I asked a school teacher in London how they afford to eat - she said she just buys less and makes it work. She was very careful not to buy junk and enjoyed good food like salmon, fresh butter, and fruit but bought most of her vegetables frozen.

We can get a salmon dinner for under $10 in a lot of restaurants in Houston, Tx. Not so much in London England.

I have lived a considerable portion of my adult life in Germany. It is far easier and less expensive for me to eat healthy there than here. I find the situation actually flip-flopped; junk food is pricey and real food is affordable. Meats can get pretty expensive, I noticed, but I am all but vegetarian, eating meat maybe once or twice a month (iron).
  • algebravoodoo
    Options
    It amazes me that many people who ask me what / how I eat do not seem to know about boneless skinless chicken breast. It's as if it doesn't exist in their life (well it truly, probably doesn't). I get this for 1.50 to 1.88 per lb. Taking a pair of scissors, I trim off all of the fat and it's about the perfect lean meat for next to nothing. Now if you were to go to the meat counter and buy the pre-marinated and dressed breasts, yes, it's quite a bit more, maybe double the price or more depending on where you're buying it.

Learning to cook might get your costs down too.

A little practice with a boning knife can bring that cost down even further, and you can make your own stocks for soup so the bones don't go to waste.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    **GRUMBLING ALERT**
    On that note, lots of places are not so fortunate as to have a farmer's market. Well, my town has one but guess when? Wednesday from 1Pm until 5PM. Guess when I get back to town after work? Yup, 5PM, if not later. The only people that get to use the FM are the retired and unemployed (not begrudging them, just wish I had the same chance at it.) The nearest bulk food store is over an hour and a half away.

I see what the OP is saying... there are places, right here in the US, where it really is so much more expensive to eat healthy. My town has three grocery stores, all national chains. I went shopping with my list of healthy items. Just to find a bag of "bulk" brown rice I had to literally scour shelves for over ten minutes, moving aside super cheap 5- and 10-pound bags of white rice and finally unearthed a 1-pound bag of brown rice. It cost the same as the 5 lb white. When I get lucky and find REAL rolled oats, I snatch it up like I found gold! Lentils? Almost never stocked. I can get any size bag of pinto beans I want thankfully, but a little variety would be nice. The brands of bulk frozen vegetables are the lowest quality you can imagine. It is like the company took the bits that most would put in a compost heap and packaged it.

I could go on and on, but my point is the OP has a valid point. Go to a poverty region,say the Mississippi Delta, and take a look around. It is a sad state of affairs. I am fortunate enough to have a job that allows me weekends off so I can plan ahead and make that 3 hour + round trip to stock my kitchen and pantry. Most here are not so lucky. It really seems so unfair that in a state with an economy that is based primarily on agriculture, so many really do not have ready access to a healthy diet.

Very, very well said. Too many are completely unaware of the privilege they have if they can procure either the time or money to sink any considerable effort into traditional "eating healthy." It's infuriating.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    The US doesn't have a national health plan like Canada does (I'm a Canadian). Therefore, the more overweight ppl the more health problems occur, the more private health insurance companies make. It's all one big viscious cycle & conspiracy. If you do your research or pick up the book "Skinny Bwitch" you will see that the people in government who make the decisions about food are funded & backed by people who are just out to make a buck.
  • algebravoodoo
    Options

Very, very well said. Too many are completely unaware of the privilege they have if they can procure either the time or money to sink any considerable effort into traditional "eating healthy." It's infuriating.
    [/quote]

Thank you. I myself did not realize the difference until I moved out of the Mid-South. My friends in Germany find it incredulous that there are NO fruit and vegetable stands or neighborhood groceries here in my town. They wonder how we even survive LOL.
  • LadyZNW
    LadyZNW Posts: 48 Member
    Options

**GRUMBLING ALERT**

^^ I can relate to this.
  • Iceman420
    Iceman420 Posts: 195
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that responded to this. There is no doubt the medical industry is making $$$ from obese people with health problems. It's sad to see how greed plays out.

We have one farmer's market here but it's closed during the winter months. Not sure when it will open this year. I will take a look at the foods you mentioned in the store today. See what I can find.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    First, I didn't have time to read 4 pages but you don't have to eat organic or fresh to eat healthy or well. Frozen veggies are as or more nutritious than fresh. They are flash frozen within 6 hours of harvest and haven't been dragged all over the country on a truck. The regulations on growing organic foods is so lax and unregulated that unless you stood there and watched what the farmer does I wouldn't waste the money. Beans and rice are cheap and there's nothing wrong with eating them. Buy frozen meats on sale, chicken breast and fish are great sources of protein as is tuna. Eggs are about the cheapest, most nutritionally dense food you can buy.

When I hear eating healthy is expensive it makes me cringe. You don't have to buy hand picked by Tibetan monk organically grown foods. Just shop around the outside of most stores and you've got a decent meal.
  • sukatx
    sukatx Posts: 103
    Options
    I don't actually have an answer for you, but I feel your pain. Hubby and I started eating healthier; more whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies, and our grocery bill went through the roof!

I remember watching a documentary on obesity a couple of years back, and a family who was on government assistance was being featured. They went to Mickey D's almost every evening for dinner. The person making the show (it was so long ago I can't remember who it was) asked why they have adopted this habit. She mother answered, "That Happy Meal is two dollars. I can't go to the supermarket and cook a healthy meal for two dollars. I know it's not the best food for my children, but they're full." That really hit me hard. She was so right. With two dollars, that mother might have been able to buy some fresh fruit for each child, but certainly would not be able to supply a full healthy meal.

This is definitely a problem I don't know the answer to. But it's so frustrating!
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    The story about the family going to McDonald's every night might sound reasonable if they only bought one $2 happy meal. What about the rest of the family? Even if each person had a $2 happy meal, I believe they could have bought the ingredients for more than one healthy meal to prepare at home.
  • dylansfitmom
    dylansfitmom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Costco has great fruits and veggies at a very low price and usually you can shop there with only a 5% non member surcharge. Also try local farmers markets. I go to my local one year round and always leave with a weeks worth of goodies for less than $20.