Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Protein farts!

Options

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Ooh hey you're in Rockville! I'm in Kensington. What do you say we *reads topic* oh god. Uhh, I'm late for a thingie.

mm5go.gif
    I don't blame you lol

Edit: spelling
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Undercooked eggs and apple peels are what get me going. I don't know if probiotics make the problem better or worse. Sometimes I ask my spouse to take it outside. Lots of lifting with squats helps get it out so I don't carry it around so long. I am scared to think of what I would smell like if I went raw/vegan! Cumin, turmeric and anything pickled (due to vinegar content) are supposed to be good to reduce problem according to my herb book.
  • don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    LIGHT A MATCH
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I had this issue when I was on the protein powders, it was totally, utterly obnoxious, never known such a stench.
    It really seemed to come into it's own when I was jogging on the treadmill or on the elliptical. Smell of rotten eggs, basically. I was also having a lot of fish, cottage cheese and eggs at that time, and the issue has not been there since I cut the protein powder and some of the fish I was having. I don't think loads of protein is necessarily a good thing if the body cannot deal with processing it all.
  • MaxlacusNight
    MaxlacusNight Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    LIGHT A MATCH
    It would blow the house up! D:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Well, escaping your blast radius aside and trying to troubleshoot the issue -- it looks like you're trying to get swole and you're doing the vegetarian thing so I assume you're supplementing.

If you're using a sweetened supplement, they often use lower-cal sugar alcohols/xylitol (incidentally vegan); you might be making your situation worse. Xylitol is associated with gastrointestinal discomfort and chronic bomb-*kitten*.

If you are using products containing that substance, consider testing an unsweetened vegan supplement.
  • chu604
    chu604 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    try egg protein. you don't know bad till you're using egg protein instead of whey
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    try egg protein. you don't know bad till you're using egg protein instead of whey
    I don't use whey anymore. I went vegan so egg isn't an option.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I don't use whey anymore. I went vegan so egg isn't an option.
    good for you! i actually recently switched to pea protein myself. :)
  • mireyap21
    Options
    ugh i noticed more gas then usual! I hate it when i get most gassy at the wrong times -_-
  • preservation666
    preservation666 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hazard of a high protein diet. My boyfriend is like, OMG STOP! But then I tell him that's how I show my affection and not to resist my methane cuddles. Then I give him a romantic dutch oven and slap him on the *kitten*.

im laughing so much at this because i would do the exact same! who said romance is dead.
  • preservation666
    preservation666 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    ive started high protein too and i farted enough without the protein but i just proudly shout at my friends and family i made you a present or you just shout can you smell popcorn so you are not the only one smelling the awesomness....im one classy chick
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I obviously am not eating enough protein as I do not have this problem. :laugh:
  • thefithuntress
    Options
    The trick is to have a significant other who also loves fitness. Then you can fart together. :flowerforyou:
  • uncbluci
    uncbluci Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had this issue when I was on the protein powders, it was totally, utterly obnoxious, never known such a stench.
    It really seemed to come into it's own when I was jogging on the treadmill or on the elliptical. Smell of rotten eggs, basically. I was also having a lot of fish, cottage cheese and eggs at that time, and the issue has not been there since I cut the protein powder and some of the fish I was having. I don't think loads of protein is necessarily a good thing if the body cannot deal with processing it all.

What kind of protein powder? It might be the whey
  • BeckyAnne4
    BeckyAnne4 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hazard of a high protein diet. My boyfriend is like, OMG STOP! But then I tell him that's how I show my affection and not to resist my methane cuddles. Then I give him a romantic dutch oven and slap him on the *kitten*.

LMFAO! i foresee the use of the term "methane cuddles" entering my vocabulary.....
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Fiber One bars will usually fix any gas issues you may have. Seriously, eat two for lunch. ;)
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Silent but deadly...