Those with kids, how to keep from eating their leftovers?

Options
124»

Replies

• remy45
    remy45 Posts: 2
    Options
    i just star today, and it not easy to cut food, i began slowly by cutting cheese, chips,scotch.....and next week i will cut to eat in front of t.v. this one will be difficult, sorry english is not my first laguages too. Rémy
    it sure i run 30 min every day but after 2 weeks , i lost nothing , oufff
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Try smaller portions.. Then it's less to throw out if they don't finish it. I just had an all beef hot dog because my son decided he wasn't eating. I'll give the rest to the dog. :)
    lol! i wish i had a dog to eat what is on the floor. i swear half their meals end up on the floor, at least my 1yo.

As the mother of six, I can relate to this dilemna! So many good solutions have been put out there. The ones that DO work are:
    Give smaller portions... we're talking a tablespoon at a time. (You can always give more if desired.)
    Simple, healthy foods. Little kids generally do not appreciate strong or complex flavors.
    Invest in an Automatic Floor Cleaning System. (Get a dog! Newfoundlands are great with kids :happy: )
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I ont let them have left overs. Two of mine are very picky, but I dont care if they sit at the table for 2 hours....they are eating the food we made for them.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I ont let them have left overs. Two of mine are very picky, but I dont care if they sit at the table for 2 hours....they are eating the food we made for them.

If that works with your kids, that is wonderful. More power to you. However, experience tells me it absolutely will not work with all children.

I have always heard that a child will not let him- or herself go hungry in the presence of good food, but I am here telling you that is not 100% true. Our youngest actually went DAYS without consuming a calorie in that power struggle. This was something that really threw me because the older kids would eat almost anything. (Each had a few foods that he/she didn't like but someone else would eat it so no waste.) We consulted with his pediatrician frequently concerning his dietary predilections because I was losing my mind trying to feed him. His gag reflex was so strong that even the smell of an undesired food would trigger it. We finally were able to put together a list of acceptable foods when he was not quite three. The doctor approved it since it contained selections from all food groups, albeit limited. (This, BTW, is when we discovered the value of vitamin supplements that disslove in water! He would drink those but vomit a Flintstones chewable!) He is now a happy, healthy high school senior with a much broader dietary range.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I let my daughter indicate how much she wants on her plate. I found that this is the only way to make her personally accountable for emptying her plate. That said, all leftovers (if suitable) are frozen in lunch sized portions and taken to work by me.
  • spottitchsam
    spottitchsam Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    when my children were small,(last child is 30this year) I used to weigh all my meal out and put in on my plate.then I would take a small amount off that to give them.if they didn't eat it then if I wanted it myself I knew I was still within my allowance.if they did finish or I didn't fancy eating it I could then eat some fruit to make up my calories.I agree with others on here please do not give it to your dog or any pet has some foods are dangerous to pets.
    another tip is to put salt all over the food enough of it to make it taste awful.