Vitamin D deficiency currently 16

Options
Greetings from Chilly Minnesota where the sun is barely out and I suffer from a D defficiency. Doc put me on 50000 iu 2 time per week for 8 weeks. I hope it helps. Anyone else on Vitamin D Therapy?

Replies

• barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    yes, 1000 iu twice a day, until further notice......was low when checked....caused by gluten issues that just became apparent....although I have had symptoms for a long time....
  • LK0321
    LK0321 Posts: 25
    Options
    not on therapy but was gonna suggest mushrooms to you, high in vitamin d. I cant eat them raw but maybe you can. Love them sauteed in a little brommel and brown, or if you have a toaster over place rack 3/4 way down and broil em till they shrink a bit and are soft, around 15 mins. I can't remeber if it is crimini's or whites that are highest in Vit D. Good luck hun
  • denise8986
    denise8986 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    yes me too, I'm taking 1000 iu twice a day
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I did the megadose 1x/week for 12 weeks...it does work, but you're supposed to take a Vitamin D supplement after you stop taking the megadose.
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I was and the doctor suggested 3000 mg of Vitamin C and mag.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    Just finished mine last month. My D is normal now.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yep I take 2000 iu of D3 per day. It has changed my life I feel like a normal, healthy human again!

Was feeling like total crap before realizing my D was low...
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I take 2000 iu a day. Just had my daughter tested and she has to take 1000 iu a day for three months then recheck. It is quite common and rarely checked :(
  • IslandRider
    Options
    Yes, 5000i iu daly. Makes a difference.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Pretty much most of Seattle :)
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Mine was 11 at the lowest point a couple years ago. I did high dose therapy and got it into normal range. I still take 4000 u daily to keep the numbers up. Living in MN is worth having to supplement!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I live in the sunny desert of Tucson Arizona, where almost everyone is vitamin D deicient. We avoid the sun like the plague. Between gallons of sunscreen, staying indoors with the A/C, and huddling in any sliver of shade we can find, we work very hard to never allow the sun to touch our skin. So...we're all deficient. My doc told me that she'd much rather have me continue to care for my skin even if it means lacking the natural D from the sun. Last year, she put me on the 50,000 mg once a week for 8 weeks as a kick-start. Since then she's had me taking 2,000mg every day.

She also explained to me that not only is D necessary for bone health, it's also a part of digestion. D is part of insulin regulation, therefore it helps process carbohydrates, and therefore it helps keep down your blood-sugar levels. I hadn't known that.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    last year mine was very low & doc had me dose up on the 50,000 iu for a few weeks and it came up.. i don't take any supplements for it after that & it has stayed over the past year
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    i do 5,000/day for the moment to bump it up, and will probably level out at 2,000 at some point.

Vit D3 is really the best thing you can do for yourself to fix a myriad of problems. I have a condition called LPR (laryngeal reflux) and Vit D helps strengthen and tone muscles such as the malfunctioning sphincters that cause reflux.

So if you've got reflux, consider supplementing with D! (most Americans are severely deficient because we don't live in a part of the world with great sun exposure)
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I have to take 2000/day for 6months then down to 1000/day not too much sun here either
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    I can feel ya ... I was clocked at 14 when I was originally checked. I took the 50,000 for eight weeks, and now take 5,000 per day of D3. I do feel better ... definitely more energy.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    most Americans are severely deficient because we don't live in a part of the world with great sun exposure

I have to laught, because those of us who do live where there is too much sun, avoid it because of the melanoma factor. We wear sunscreen 12 months a year around here.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    most Americans are severely deficient because we don't live in a part of the world with great sun exposure

I have to laught, because those of us who do live where there is too much sun, avoid it because of the melanoma factor. We wear sunscreen 12 months a year around here.

so basically we're all screwed! :P
  • mariangella9
    mariangella9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am currently on my second round of Vitamin D therapy this time for 12 weeks.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Bump.