What all do you count as WATER?

Options
I am getting different views from different people on all that they count as water intake..Me personally-All I count is actual water and the little packets that you can add to water that gives the water flavor..I hear some count tea, coffee etc..I thought if it was a beverage that has caffeine in it, you do not count it as water..But what about decaf coffee and teas?? Do they count as water?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Or just skip the water counting. If your urine is pale yellow and you aren't thirsty then you're hydrated. There is no weight loss miracle to drinking large amounts of water or worrying about what is water and what isn't. Your body needs fluids to stay hydrated and it doesn't care if it's from water, tea, juice, milk, soup, a piece of fruit (did you know an apple is 85% water) or even soda.
  • AshyyMM
    AshyyMM Posts: 131
    Options
    I count water as water...
    I've done alot of research in the past, and was told not to count sports drinks/teas/coffee's as water...
    Water is still important to drink..more so than juices/milk.. I make sure I get my 8+ cups in daily..you still need so much to keep yourself hydrated, and the thing is I know alot of people who stop drinking water and they've become completely dehydrated and end up getting very sick before realizing that, that was the reason in the first place...

If your drink has calories in it..it's ultimately not water.. (Thats what I've been told before anyway)
  • AnjellaRose_GF_SillyYak
    Options
    I count water and half of my green tea, as I make 4 cups of the tea and add 4 more cups of water to it...
  • KetsyBaby
    KetsyBaby Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I count bottled or filtered tap water, even unfiltered municipal water, but I also count any herbal tea I brew (without sweetener or sugar) as water, since it is calorie free and has no caffeine or nutritional value. (I am thinking of Camomile, Mint, or any other Herbal Blends) Watch out for green tea, which is a stimulant. Not to say it is bad for you, it's not, it is great in moderation, but it does have an effect on your metabolism and can cause some people to feel jittery or interrupt sleep. Coffee, even decaf can have a dehydrating effect on you, so I don't count that as water, but rather a low calorie beverage.

I would even count a tall glass of water with a wedge of lemon in it, or squeezed into it for a dash of flavor, or a few cucumber slices to freshen up a cold glass (assuming you are not eating the cucumber), these add a tiny bit of flavor for those who aren't into plain water.

Even a Hot Cup of Water (Boiled) with a slice of Lemon would be fine to count as water intake.

Depending on whether you use Artificial Sweeteners or Stevia (A Natural Sweet Leaf), that is your call. I try not to sweeten my teas if I like the taste of them, like a mint tea, so nice and soothing. If you do use Crystal Light or some other drink mix with chemical sweeteners (Equal, Sweet & Low, Splenda, Sucralose, etc.) , I think you can count it as water, but try diluting it more than the package advises if you can, even slowly over time. If the mix says it makes 1.5 L, try making 2 L with it, you will hardly notice the difference.

This is what I have gleaned from years on clear fluid diets in hospitals, as well as what I advise my patients to drink postpartum so that they don't develop constipation and can be hydrated enough to breastfeed if desired, as to produce adequate urine output. Urine should be pale yellow, if you are finding it dark or amber colored, you need to drink more water.
    Note: Some foods can change the color of your urine, especially some fresh juiced items like red beets and red cabbage, red kale, etc. They can give you a false impression of darker orange urine that will usually last only for the day or so you had the juice.

:heart: Please Add ME To Your Friends Support Team, I am looking for like minded individuals who are at the beginning, middle, or near goal in their journey to help me stay motivated and positive. I love a great sense of humor! I have a long road ahead of me, and need a good network of friends. :heart:

Ketsy, RN, BScN, ACNP - MScN Candidate
    40, Female
    GTA, Ontario, CANADA

9159792.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • dominoid747
    dominoid747 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Water is water. A group of people will be along shortly to tell you that you will die if you don't drink exactly 8 glasses of pure unadulterated tap water a day. They are talking from a theoretical point of view and although the science is correct, people who drink only other substances aren't dropping dead around us so the reality is drink what you want.
  • Amy967
    Amy967 Posts: 20
    Options
    I don't really count water(maybe I should) but I never record drinks like unsweetened tea or lemonade cause they are in 99% 0 calories :D
  • bunnabear
    bunnabear Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I only count water. I don't count my coffee which is the only other beverage that I drink on a regular basis (half a cup twice daily). I shoot for 10 eight ounce glasses of water per day since I have a history of kidney stones. If I do happen to have tea or another beverage on a very rare occasion I don't count that in my water total.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Any thing that' essentially water counts as water, and that includes soda, tea, and coffee. Contrary to popular opinion, the caffeine will not dehydrate you, but you'll pee out about a third more of the liquid than you normally would.

If you read enough posts on here you'll see different advice on soda--some will say the sodium in it (which is actually very little) will make you retain fluid, others will say that the caffeine in it dehydrates you. It can't be both.

And that "8 glasses of water" stuff is a misinterpretation of medical research. Your body may need 64 oz of fluid a day, but the water in fruits and vegetables counts toward that requirement, so you don't HAVE to be chugging water all day. If it makes you feel better, fine, but you'll still lose weight if you don't.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    And ditto the pp that said your urine should be pale yellow. That's how you know if you're getting enough fluids, be if from plain water or whatever else.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I don't count water, as I drink upwards of 3-4 liters a day.... but all I drink is water. Why does this even keep coming up? Go drink water, all of you.
  • runningwiththepups
    Options
    I just count regular water, and shoot to empty my 1 liter water bottle twice a day, and then everything else is just a bonus.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Water
  • Zommbunny
    Options
    I would take it as water - personally I don't count mine but make sure I drink a lot of it
    :drinker:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I am getting different views from different people on all that they count as water intake..Me personally-All I count is actual water and the little packets that you can add to water that gives the water flavor..I hear some count tea, coffee etc..I thought if it was a beverage that has caffeine in it, you do not count it as water..But what about decaf coffee and teas?? Do they count as water?
    Read this thread before people drill a bunch of silly myths and old wives' tales into your head:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821181-myths-and-facts-about-hydration-requirements
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Fluid. I count fluid if I feel the need to track. Mio? Goes under water. Iced tea? Water. If its caloric I will log it. I mostly just drink seltzer all the time, I'm a complete addict.
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I personally only count plain water, water that you add crystal light to, and tea's. especially green tea :)
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    If there were no water around, and all you had to drink was cofee or tea or a sports drink, guess what??? You wouldn't die of dehydration.. Wanna know why?? Because these drinks are made of water. Never understand why people have such a hard time believing that you can count other drinks as water. On the other hand, I do not recommend coffe, soda and sports drinks as a primary source of water because of the added ingredients. Its just not good for you.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Water is water. A group of people will be along shortly to tell you that you will die if you don't drink exactly 8 glasses of pure unadulterated tap water a day. They are talking from a theoretical point of view and although the science is correct, people who drink only other substances aren't dropping dead around us so the reality is drink what you want.

Funny, in my city I think I would die from drinking 8 glasses of unadulterated tap water. Although I use the word "water" lightly.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    um. water.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and vodka