What all do you count as WATER?

Options

Replies

• hofdog
    hofdog Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Well the obvious as most smart *kitten* have posted....Water. I also count the decaf teas I brew and ice to drink in the day. I don't count anything with caffeine or alcohol.
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Water is water. A group of people will be along shortly to tell you that you will die if you don't drink exactly 8 glasses of pure unadulterated tap water a day. They are talking from a theoretical point of view and although the science is correct, people who drink only other substances aren't dropping dead around us so the reality is drink what you want.

well said :)
  • duichaser
    duichaser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Water. Period. Anything else has additives that require your body to process. Even the aquafina water with a flavor added. Read the bottle.
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    WATER
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I count tea and coffee as well as water drunk as water - I don't drink alcohol.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    There actually isn't much (or any) scientific evidence that we all need to be chugging water all day long. At least half of the water we need to stay hydrated comes from the water content of food, particularly if we are eating lots of fruit and vegetables. The water in all other drinks is also hydrating. As others have said, as long as you aren't thirsty and your urine is pale, you are fine. I grew up in a generation in which adults weren't lugging giant bottles around in public all the time. We were all fine.

I agree with you. I don't count water anymore, it was getting too complicated. Count calories, protein, carbs, fibers, What the heck!

I drink water with my all my meals; two cups of coffee a day, use sugar free juices for my protein drinks/smoothies, eat lots of fruits and veggies and I do drink water during the day, but I don't count. To each its own.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    anything with caffeine is a diuretic and makes you LOSE water so best NOT to count them as water. Start chugging the water, babes! If it tastes gross, get a filter, flavour with zero calorie lemon juice, and you can count decaf teas and coffee as water.

x
    tigerpalm.jpg

You do know that WATER is also a diuretic, right? You should learn what a diuretic is before you start using the word. A diuretic is a substance that causes the release of EXCESS water from the body. You don't "lose water" by taking a diuretic, you just don't retain more than you need. Most vegetables are also diuretics, as are many fruits.
  • slywon
    slywon Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water! Besides being important to keep hydrated it helps to keep me feeling full so I don't overeat!!
  • bunnabear
    bunnabear Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Well the obvious as most smart *kitten* have posted....Water. I also count the decaf teas I brew and ice to drink in the day. I don't count anything with caffeine or alcohol.

If those folks would try to refrain from commenting it would be great. I don't think a site where people come for support should read like the comments section of a tabloid site.
  • jnn0409
    jnn0409 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water and the Propel zero packets and Mio that you add to water as water. Everything else I drink even if zero calories I don't count as water.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    That's up to you, but I count tap water, bottled water and carbonated water as water. Everything else can be listed as food or snacks (coffee, soda, milkshake, soup, etc.), so I would list those there, not as water.

Snap! But I admit that I am a complete novice at this kind of stuff. :drinker:
    I only manage 4 cups on a good day, but hope that the buckets of tea I drink and log seperately keep me hydrated. I'm not ill, so I guess they do.
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I personally choose to count only plain water. I also drink coffee, tea (hot, iced, caffeinated, decaf), a few diet sodas (almost all decaf) a week, and the occasional glass of wine or mixed drink. Even rarer are fruit juices (too many calories for me to want to spend them this way) or milk. By keeping track of my water I am reminded to stay well hydrated and to keep WHAT I drink in balance. I physically feel better when I drink most of my fluids as water. I'm sure that is partly because I won't drink enough of other liquids to stay hydrated enough. It is also my experience that if I fall off on my water consumption or start replacing it with too much other stuff I don't lose weight as evenly. You do what works for you, just be sure that the end result is that you are well-hydrated.
  • Danni1585
    Danni1585 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You can count decaf coffee or tea at water. It helps me
  • pangy1958
    pangy1958 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I just count water
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    so let me see if i understand this...

if you take an Excedrin and wash it down with 8 oz of water, then the water doesn't count simply because one of the ingredients of Excedrin is caffeine.

is that what you're saying?...

because that's not correct.

all of the liquid that you drink or eat counts and the recommendation to ingest 64 oz per day is an old wive's tale with no scientific backing whatsoever.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Just water. I have to keep track because otherwise a whole day goes by and I haven't drank anything. Not good when you're nursing a little one :)
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    the only thing i count as water is plain old water, i don't add anything to it, just water, i consider anything else as a drink, tea is a beverage, coffee is a beverage, iced tea is a beverage etc...
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    2 parts hydrogen 1 part oxygen. You're welcome.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    anything with caffeine is a diuretic and makes you LOSE water so best NOT to count them as water. Start chugging the water, babes! If it tastes gross, get a filter, flavour with zero calorie lemon juice, and you can count decaf teas and coffee as water.

x

Totally wrong.

You can obtain fluids for hydration from beverages and food. It is not just plain water that hydrates you and caffeine is basically no more a diuretic than water is unless consumed in large quantities, and even then, the diuretic effect is minimal.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283 - any beverage counts

"beverages such as milk and juice are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute"

"What you eat also provides a significant portion of your fluid needs. On average, food provides about 20 percent of total water intake."

http://www.jacn.org/content/19/5/591.short - any beverage counts

"This preliminary study found no significant differences in the effect of various combinations of beverages on hydration status of healthy adult males. Advising people to disregard caffeinated beverages as part of the daily fluid intake is not substantiated by the results of this study."

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12834577 - the diuretic effect of caffeine is minimal

"...nor does it cause significant dehydration or electrolyte imbalance during exercise."

OP: you can count anything you want in the ticker, but water is not the only thing that hydrates you.
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I only count plain water as water.....I keep track of everything I drink but list the other stuff as part of my meal.