Wheat Belly

Options
13»

Replies

• msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I chanced upon seeing that Wheat Belly author promoting his book on TV not too long ago. I thought it was strange that he'd want to be pushing gluten free as a weight loss tool. He's got a weight problem, especially around his belly. Reminded me of when Dr. Phil was touting his weight loss book, yet didn't look the part of fit person. Why would anyone want to buy an out-of-shape author's weight loss book?
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    This right here? He claims it and its not true. There are no GMO wheats on the market. All the wheat being grown was developed using conventional breeding techniques. They cross different types looking for new strains with better yield, disease resistance, or whatever trait they are breeding for, There are no gene insertions etc. every single domesticated plant you eat has been created the same damn way.

Thank you. As a farmer I'd love there to be a GMO wheat that we could spray weed killers on but there isn't. I've tried to explain that before but it seems those who are on the Wheat Belly bandwagon can't take that in. I actually read the damn book just to see what he really said and he really doesn't say there is GMO wheat but he certainly tap dances all around it hoping that's the conclusion that you'll draw.

But the thing is, wheat has been hybridized. Do you debate that?

"Hybridization" is not a dirty word!!

Hybridization is not "GMO." Hybridization is crossing two varieties by simply letting one pollinate the other and seeing what resulted. Hybridization is, ultimately, how every single domestic crop that we eat was created.

Domestication is hybridization.

Including meat animals -- we created the domestic breeds we know today by crossing the animals we had with other ones -- wild animals, animals from a neighbor's herd.... The word "Hybrid" is dervied from a latin word meaning "Offspring of a tame sow and a wild boar."

"Hybrid" wheat? Is not something created in a lab by evil scientists intent on destroying our gut flora. Wheat has been "Hybrid" since the beginning:

"Common bread wheat (Triticum aestivum) is an example of a common amphiploid. This hexaploid came into being about 7,000 years ago from hybridization between rivet wheat (T. turgidum), a tetraploid, and Tausch's goatgrass (Aegilops tauschii), a diploid.5 In fact, Talbert et al. (1998) say it arose repeatedly as the result of multiple hybridization events. Rivet wheat itself is a much older, natural amphiploid derived from hybridization between two diploid grasses. One was the goatgrass Aegilops speltoides.6 The other was either wild einkorn (Triticum boeoticum) or another wild wheat, T. urartu, more likely the former.7"
    (http://www.macroevolution.net/polyploid.html)

Not to mention every apple you eat, ever. There are hundreds of microspecies of apple - and most fruits in the rose family come to that.

Hybrid vigour is also damn useful to produce animals that grow well naturally.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I love your username, OP!

Wheat Belly is a propaganda piece, designed to sell books and create a new dietary bad-guy. We've had saturated fats, sugar, HFCS, corn in general, white carbs, high GI foods, and now .... wheat is the new evil (or a Big Bad, since you seem to be a Buffy fan!) Wheat is not poison, it's not hazardous to our health, nor is it the cause of obesity.

Unless you are gluten intolerant or are diagnosed with coeliac disease, there is nothing wrong with traditionally-made bread. It's a great food.

Some people here are radical proponents of a low-grain or low-carbohydrate diet. What works for you is the right way to go. I eat plenty of grains.

Next thing you know they will retract that broccoli is good for us and that we should run from it.

I love whole grains and wheats though, For the record. IT doesnt seem to bother me at all. I think we shouldnt believe everything we read and enjoy life a little. you only live once. as long as you are living it in an overall healthy way. who cares! Pizza is TERRIBLE for me, Should I stop eating it because it's ridicuously high in sodium? heck ... to...the...NO!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I love your username, OP!

Wheat Belly is a propaganda piece, designed to sell books and create a new dietary bad-guy. We've had saturated fats, sugar, HFCS, corn in general, white carbs, high GI foods, and now .... wheat is the new evil (or a Big Bad, since you seem to be a Buffy fan!) Wheat is not poison, it's not hazardous to our health, nor is it the cause of obesity.

Unless you are gluten intolerant or are diagnosed with coeliac disease, there is nothing wrong with traditionally-made bread. It's a great food.

Some people here are radical proponents of a low-grain or low-carbohydrate diet. What works for you is the right way to go. I eat plenty of grains.
    This. Whether people want to acknowledge it or not, there's a market out there that PREY on people who are naive and easy to convince. I liken these people/organizations to "seers". They tell you want you want to hear, make something sound reasonable, then brainwash you into thinking it's true.
    This is especially true for those who are desperate. That's why the DIET INDUSTRY is making billions a year. A companies particular diet is "better" than their competitors because the testimonies prove it.:laugh:
    Research (real research meaning that you be objective) will ultimately lead you the direction you want to go.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bethmac_va
    Options
    I read recently that weight loss products are a billion-dollar industry, but Americans just keep getting fatter and fatter. Could it just be that it's because nothing works but cutting calories and exercising?!

I've read the comments here, and I went and read through a few of the reviews for this book on Amazon. I have to agree with the nay-sayers here. Add this book to the hundreds of weight-loss-books-that-are-a-gimmick on the shelf.

The only thing I do agree with is that there are people who have wheat and gluten allergies/intolerance. If you think this could be a problem, cut it out of your diet for a month or so and see what happens.

From all of my reading, I really believe that processed foods/preservatives/chemicals are the culprit to many of our ailments. In the past several weeks, I've significantly cut out processed foods. I have a green smoothie each morning with kale, spinach, berry fruits, nuts, seeds and almond milk. I've cut out all white starches-potatoes, rice, bread and stick to whole grain breads, oatmeal, brown rice, lentils, sweet potatoes, etc. The difference is amazing. I am sleeping through the night for the first time in years. My mood has improved. My energy has significantly increased. I am not getting the blood sugar spikes (I also eat every 3 hours). This in turn lowers my stress and will ultimately decrease the stress induced cortisol levels that has caused my belly fat. I've lost 3 pounds in 2 weeks. This is what will work for me...good, clean eating.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This right here? He claims it and its not true. There are no GMO wheats on the market. All the wheat being grown was developed using conventional breeding techniques. They cross different types looking for new strains with better yield, disease resistance, or whatever trait they are breeding for, There are no gene insertions etc. every single domesticated plant you eat has been created the same damn way.

Thank you. As a farmer I'd love there to be a GMO wheat that we could spray weed killers on but there isn't. I've tried to explain that before but it seems those who are on the Wheat Belly bandwagon can't take that in. I actually read the damn book just to see what he really said and he really doesn't say there is GMO wheat but he certainly tap dances all around it hoping that's the conclusion that you'll draw.

But the thing is, wheat has been hybridized. Do you debate that?

"Hybridization" is not a dirty word!!

Hybridization is not "GMO." Hybridization is crossing two varieties by simply letting one pollinate the other and seeing what resulted. Hybridization is, ultimately, how every single domestic crop that we eat was created.

Domestication is hybridization.

Including meat animals -- we created the domestic breeds we know today by crossing the animals we had with other ones -- wild animals, animals from a neighbor's herd.... The word "Hybrid" is dervied from a latin word meaning "Offspring of a tame sow and a wild boar."

"Hybrid" wheat? Is not something created in a lab by evil scientists intent on destroying our gut flora. Wheat has been "Hybrid" since the beginning:

"Common bread wheat (Triticum aestivum) is an example of a common amphiploid. This hexaploid came into being about 7,000 years ago from hybridization between rivet wheat (T. turgidum), a tetraploid, and Tausch's goatgrass (Aegilops tauschii), a diploid.5 In fact, Talbert et al. (1998) say it arose repeatedly as the result of multiple hybridization events. Rivet wheat itself is a much older, natural amphiploid derived from hybridization between two diploid grasses. One was the goatgrass Aegilops speltoides.6 The other was either wild einkorn (Triticum boeoticum) or another wild wheat, T. urartu, more likely the former.7"
    (http://www.macroevolution.net/polyploid.html)
    Stop making so much sense. It gets in the way of the fad and confuses things with facts.
    I wonder if the wheat belly bandwagon jumpers are going to give up their vegetables too, because they have all been husbanded...

Never said hybridization was a dirty word. My point is that wheat is a polyploidy plant; the current strains (dwarf wheat) are expressing not only the proteins from both parents, which one would expect, but is also expressing unique proteins. I personally find that both interesting and a little scary. But that's just me