Unless I sweat I don't log my activity.......right or wrong?

Options
I'm noticing that a few people are logging their general daily activity as exercise and therefore calories earned, i.e. cleaning etc. I've always assumed that in order for exercise to be beneficia,l and therefore extra calories burned, you would need to feel you're making some effort. Am I missing out on a few calories here by not logging everything?:happy:

Replies

• XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    No your fine. Logging the dishes etc imho is ridiculous and not worth it.
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't log cleaning and only log my walking if I've been walking a long time carrying my daughter (ex: when we do groceries I carry her strapped into the wrap).

If it's not strenuous I don't log it. I feel like I'd be "cheating" by logging my everyday cleaning or walking around.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree with you. The only activity I log is any exercise that I do that is truly cardio. I lift weights heavy about 4 times a week and I don't log that.

I think that is where a lot of people that say MFP doesn't work are failing - they are poor estimators. Some people tend to work the system to squeeze out every possible calorie so they can eat more, so either intentionally or subconsciously they under-estimate food and over-estimate activity. Not to mention that the machines over-estimate burn and the food manufacturers tend to under estimate as well. I know that for me, personally, not logging my strength training, my calories and fat loss match up relatively well over time, and I am pretty diligent.
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I tend to do that same thing. I just look at stuff like cleaning, etc, as part of daily life and it doesn't occur to me to log that. I did, however, log yesterday's 18 holes of golf even though I didn't look at is as a workout.
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    I only log actual cardio or weights. I do not factor in any other activity that falls in my normal day like walking etc.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I agree with your general premise. However, Sweat does not = calories burned, effort, or a "good work out".
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different and will do this in a different way. I feel that things I do that are an activity I did when I was increasing weight and was unhealthy is obviously not conducive to good health. Whereas, anything I do specifically to improve my health is and I like to take credit for it.

Having said that, I use the In Place of a Road Map method and have calculated my calorie goal to include my exercise, so that is what I eat.

The link to the road map, if interested is:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 <
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It's a personal choice. It would be wrong for me but not necessarily for someone else to log cleaning, gardening, etc...I actually did use to log my gardening but soon felt I was cheating myself.
  • Bex2Bslim
    Bex2Bslim Posts: 1,092
    Options
    I agree mainly, I do however log my busy bar shifts as this is my second job so it's not in my normal day to day. I was literally on my feet for 9hrs (less 20min break) yesterday with christening of over 100 people to oversee, so although I wasn't sweating, I feel there were definite calories burnt :D
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I don't care what others log. I stay in my own lane and do what works for me.
  • moebius13
    Options
    Although I don't log normal day to day activity, I will log things, like loading or unloading pallets of sand bags or salt or such at my job, as I do not normally do this on a daily basis. 30 minutes moving 40lb bags to me seems the same as a 30 minute workout.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I only log excess house work...like putting up/taking down Christmas decorations. But I usually sweat during it. But general house cleaning, nah. Not unless I have turned it into a workout....like I dance while vacuuming now, so that I can burn more calories.
  • amarna13
    amarna13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log things like doing the dishes. But for example yesterday my husband and myself unloaded, moved and stacked a full ton of wood pellets by the side of our house, as I don't normally do that and was lifting, carrying, etc. 40lb bags of pellets I logged that. Or sometimes in the spring/summer I like to mow the lawn with an old push mower we have (just person powered, no gas or anything) so I would log that. Personally though I don't care what other people do, I figure if it works for them, great!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I think you're perfectly find doing what you're doing.

As for the people who log all activity, it would make sense if they've set themselves up as sedentary, then everything they do aside from the very basics would need to be logged.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    unless it's a HUGE clean, I'm talking all 3 floors, everything ordered, wardrobes colour co-ordinated, hoovered, dusted, iron, wipe down walls, shower, sinks etc then no I don't count it...even then I only go for a mass clean session 3times a year and don't count my weekly wardrobe clean (empty wardrobe onto bed, wipe down shelves and draws then colour co-ordinate and re-stack!...can take up to 4hours )
  • erinpooh
    Options
    It depends on the housework. I log mopping, vacuuming, sweeping and cleaning walls--things that are a bit more strenuous or cause me to sweat a little (I'm a vigorous cleaner!) I don't log laundry or washing dishes. For gardening, I did log when I was raking leaves, but probably would not for things like planting flowers. I don't eat back the majority of my exercise points, so I'm not sure it matters much in my situation.

EDIT: I am set at sedentary.
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    I sort of agree with the OP about housework, but a lot of my cardio is done outdoors, so I don't always sweat, even if working hard, especially in the current weather which is FREEZING. I'm all about wearing an HRM.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I don't care what others log. I stay in my own lane and do what works for me.

Stay in my own lane! love it! will now try and live it! lol
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I hear Xzibit logs logging.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different - some people log all activity as their lifestyle is set as sedentary or it's stuff they didn't used to do before trying to lose weight/get fit. I try not to judge what others are doing.

Though for me I agree with the OP, unless I am doing it AS MY WORKOUT I don't log it, I determine that by if I bother putting my heart rate monitor or not. I also log my dog walking as I didn't used to do it, I do get my heart rate up chasing him around and my lifestyle is set to sedentary on here.