Vegan Ratios

Options
13»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    "Optimal" is a nebulous word/concept. It really depends on one's goals, don't you agree?

If your goals are not to maintain as much LBM as possible on a deficit, then yes, I would.

So a man recovering from a heart attack trying to avoid quadruple bypass may not care about how much LBM he maintains, he might just be trying to reverse his heart disease eating a whole foods plant based diet like the one I'm trying to encourage my father to get on. Whole foods plant based diets by their nature achieve 10-15% protein. A protein supplement is not a whole food btw. Legumes are.

You relaize this topic is Vegan Ratios. One of the main reasons people become Vegans, hold it, the only reason I became a Vegan is because the data is clear and indisputable that animal based diets lead to heart disease, certain cancers, autoimmune diseases, and other ancillary health risks. I've got another 40 years to live and I don't want to cut that short.

First of all, what does your example have to do with anything? It should go without saying that anyone with a medical condition needs to assess their diet in that context.

What does being a vegan have to do with recommendations for macronutrient ratios? And why are you bringing up processed v whole food diet? That was not the topic at hand.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    "Optimal" is a nebulous word/concept. It really depends on one's goals, don't you agree?

If your goals are not to maintain as much LBM as possible on a deficit, then yes, I would.

So a man recovering from a heart attack trying to avoid quadruple bypass may not care about how much LBM he maintains, he might just be trying to reverse his heart disease eating a whole foods plant based diet like the one I'm trying to encourage my father to get on. Whole foods plant based diets by their nature achieve 10-15% protein. A protein supplement is not a whole food btw. Legumes are.

You relaize this topic is Vegan Ratios. One of the main reasons people become Vegans, hold it, the only reason I became a Vegan is because the data is clear and indisputable that animal based diets lead to heart disease, certain cancers, autoimmune diseases, and other ancillary health risks. I've got another 40 years to live and I don't want to cut that short.

First of all, what does your example have to do with anything? It should go without saying that anyone with a medical condition needs to assess their diet in that context.

What does being a vegan have to do with recommendations for macronutrient ratios? And why are you bringing up processed v whole food diet? That was not the topic at hand.

How about we go with: Live and let live. I was trying to illustrate my point that one's goals will affect their choices, e.g. % protein. Evidently I didn't effectively communicate that, or I did and you dispute that.

Additionally, there are numerous vegan diet variants out there. I believed that by being as clear as possible about the point of view from which I speak, that would make our conversation more productive.

You clearly believe that 10-15% protein diet not on a deficit is inadequate. On that we disagree.

Fair enough. No worries. I wish you nothing but success Sara.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

How about we go with: Live and let live. I was trying to illustrate my point that one's goals will affect their choices, e.g. % protein. Evidently I didn't effectively communicate that, or I did and you dispute that.

Additionally, there are numerous vegan diet variants out there. I believed that by being as clear as possible about the point of view from which I speak, that would make our conversation more productive.

You clearly believe that 10-15% protein diet not on a deficit is inadequate. On that we disagree.

Fair enough. No worries. I wish you nothing but success Sara.

You did not address my second point - however, that is neither here nor there as it was not related to the OP in any event.

Regarding the first point, I said if your goal is not to maintain LBM then I agree that 'optimizing' protein to do such a thing would not be a priority - you just gave an example where it would not be and presented it in such a way that you were disagreeing or proving something, hence, me not being sure of the point of your post.

And yes, I disagree that using a % of 10-15% based on some unstated calorie level without regard to a person's leanness and activity level is necessarily optimal.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your goals. If you just want to survive, apparently is 0.36 grams of protein per lb of body weight (http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm).
    For me that'd be just about 50 grams of protein a day.

But that is based on sedentary lifestyle.

If you are lifting weights and producing muscle, you want about 1 gm/lb of lean body weight. For me, this is double what it would have been under the RDA.

It can be done vegan. Tempeh and tofu and soy based protein shakes and cliff builder bars are your friends in this endeavor.