Ladies only! Lol. Diet and "time of the month"

Options
It's that time of the month of me, you know.....the big PMS. Ahhh LOL! Every month this is EXACTLY when I screw my entire diet up and eventually say f%#! it. I have non stop cravings right now and am hungry every single hour no matter what I eat. Seems like it's impossible to stay in the 1200-1400 calories I normally eat 3/4 of the month....

What do you ladies do during that time? Do you raise your calories a bit? Hold on to your willpower for dear life? HELP lol

Replies

• HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    mt Friend "Aunt Flow" showed up this morning.. a week early ( better late than not at all I suppose)... and definitely messed up my workout plans due to bad cramping... Im loading up on Tylenol so I can workout this evening...

I dont have cravings (YET!) but I do things like drink hot apple cider...its sweet enough to ward off the munchies without making me feel guilty like a candy bar or cupcake would.... its also warm so it helps with cramps...
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    The ONLY advantage to being pre-menopausal is you don't have these pre-visitation munches. You're just *****y ALL the time. :bigsmile:
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I try my best to stick to my goals. Maybe sneak in an extra chocolate pudding pack (60 cals and pretty decent chocolate taste) or a diet swiss miss (25 calorie packet).

If not, I try to exercise more to offset.

Otherwise, cramps + self loathing from overeating gets me even worse.
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You should ask Tom ... I have no clue who he is but every thread that involves this topic, a lot if people talk about him.
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    the first thing is I don't weigh during my monthly vistor. the water retention adds 5-10 pounds to you

don't stress I eat the calories alloted me

drink hot tea and water with lemon.

I heat myself with a heating dome for 30 minuets.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and eat your veggies. Veggies are low cal and very filling. I also don't keep any cheat foods in the house, so if I really want something I have to go out and buy it. Usually by the time I've walked over to the store (if I even make it that far) I've talked myself out of it.
  • Dani_Davies23
    Options
    Honestly.
    Bleeding out of an orifice for a week straight.
    Accompanied by my boobs feeling like bruised sacs of flour and throttling cramps....
    I let myself have chocolate.

Just push yourself harder next week.
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I dont weigh in during TOM.
    I detox during this time since my body is naturally ridding itself of other things too.
    Around the last couple of days I take Diurex to pull that water off.

Also, I know the first major day of TOM I cramp hard so I always take an Aleve the night before so the cramps don't really bother me.Tylenol doesn't work for me or Motrin. Aleve is the only thing that works!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You should ask Tom ... I have no clue who he is but every thread that involves this topic, a lot if people talk about him.

He gets a lot of action
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I just do the best I can. I don't work out as much during the time (some women say it makes them feel better...that is definitely not the case with me!) but I do take water pills to help with the bloating feeling. Also, the day after it stops, I have usually dropped a whole bunch of weight.
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It's either eat chocolate or commit murder, I go for the chocolate. Then do a ton of cardio the next day.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I workout a little longer because i crave cheese and not just a little stick of it, like a block of it a day so i try to even it out that way. I get really bloated during that time so it is easy for me to want to go and workout a bit more.
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    i eat air popped corn , just gives me something to munch on , maybe i should munch on carrot sticks n houmous ... hate that T.O.M ... hoping its soon over for me :o) no sign though :(
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Take a Midol and stick to your guns!
  • jules1202
    Options
    Part of what drives the hormonal part of things is the drop in calcium levels so you might try adding in extra calcium when AF is coming (like a pill or liquid calcium magnesium supplement). Also Evening Primrose Oil can help with PMS syptoms.

I taking the 90 day pill pack (due to having endo) so I only have AF every 3 months or I would have this problem alot more too. Maybe try to stay busy and add in extra fiber to help you feeling full longer?
  • NataBee
    NataBee Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm suffering with the need for all things comforting around this time and i've like to have one square of chocolate, take a sip of coffee and let it melt in my mouth for ages. Heaven for the time and i'll curl up and relax then while finishing my coffee :)
  • katrina603
    Options
    yo plaits yogurts or a skinny cow. I never want sweets, ever unless i get my period lol
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Now were all in danger. Thanks a lot

grizzly-bears-420x0.jpg
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Hormones don't make you decisions. Your brain does. So simply decide which is more important. Your goals or your cravings.
    And if you feel there is something deeper going on such as PMDD, see your doctor.
  • szarlotka717
    szarlotka717 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've read that menstruating expends 100-200 more calories a day. If I'm starving around my TOM, I figure that it's my body telling me that I haven't eaten enough to account for the extra energy it needs. I still *try* to eat within my goals, but don't feel bad if I need to go 100-200 calories over.

Regarding water weight - drinking extra water can help with that.