Ladies only! Lol. Diet and "time of the month"

Options

Replies

• AckieJ
    AckieJ Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Husband quote: You have to worry... If something bleeds for a week and doesn't die. Yea he's a charmer! lol
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I usually try really hard but I will have a pudding cup just one piece of chocolate if I have to have something. If you were really good the rest of the week, a little indulgence won't hurt. I had 2...ok maybe 3 pieces of pizza this weekend and still lost weight even while TOM is around. It's ok!
  • Susie0307
    Susie0307 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you can safely keep Nutella in your household -- a tablespoon spread on a pop cake (or celery) is a great way to satisfy a chocolate craving with added crunch! :wink:
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    Since I just started using myfitnesspal, I have yet to have my monthly while trying to eat correctly and exercise everyday. I do know the feeling though..especially the couple days before hand..you feel as though you could eat every little crumb in the house. My theory is, a little bit of chocolate or having an extra snack isn't going to kill you. Life is to short to make yourself miserable every month. Have that extra piece of chocolate, but know you must keep up the exercise. I have found that sometimes if you do have bad cramping, actually getting up and moving around can help you keep your mind off the pain = ]
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I try really hard to only indulge a small bit. Maybe just one treat. Or I may get a bag of something like dove promises and just allow my self a single serving a day, but spread that serving out through te day. It really helps! If that doesn't work I have my go-to low calorie friends. Carrot sticks, celery, etc..... Maybe if I am craving a flavor I will make a salad dressing for dipping from oil and vinegar and add my own seasonings.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    "Oh, I’ve already ruined my good eating today. I’ll just eat crap” is like saying “Oh, I dropped my phone on the floor. I’ll just smash it till it breaks.”

^^Love this quote! If you crave chocolate or something in particular go ahead and have some. Just eat it slow and savor it and you will probably kill the craving with just a small amount. There are a lot of good suggestions already posted here ( I think I'm gonna try Magnesium next time!). Keep moving and drink water is always good too!
  • notreallytrillian
    notreallytrillian Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hold on to your willpower for dear life?

This is what I do. I also chew at TON of gum and drink LOTS of water.
  • jennalee1312
    Options
    For me it varies month to month...some months I hold on to my will power and enjoy a little extra weightloss after its over (since they say ur metabolism raises the week before tom so u are burning a bit more) but other months LIKE RIGHT NOW....I was super bad yesterday and well the 3 days before that lol but even with being bad I still didnt go above the "maintain" my weight mark... this month has just been horrible water weight wise and toms running late (I know im not pregnant so its just being weird) and I can feeeellll all the water...so instead of saying "hmmm let me cut out these comfort foods that will probably make water retention worse"...I just ate them...and even though I feel like im swimming in water weight now....I dont regret it lol.... sometimes u just gotta have a bad moment and move on....we aren't perfect and if we try to be we will just be unhappy...the biggest thing I had to realize is one or 2 or even 3 bad days can't undo the last 25 good ones.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Honestly.
    Bleeding out of an orifice for a week straight.
    Accompanied by my boobs feeling like bruised sacs of flour and throttling cramps....
    I let myself have chocolate.

Just push yourself harder next week.

THIS. I have done an experiment over the last couple of months and found that even if I let myself go completely on my diet (and cut back on exercise), it does almost virtually nothing to the scale a week later. This may be true for only me, but I find that letting myself have a little chocolate and maybe a little more fat than normal REALLY helps and the consequences are almost non-existent. Maybe try upping your cals/fat a touch next time and see if it makes you feel better/what happens weight-wise?
  • LaDarby11
    Options
    I load up on Midol, don't work out, and eat what I can. It's not all bad. My cramps and bloating are so horrible that I just can't eat much during AF b/c it puts too much pressure, and going #2 (TMI sorry!) hurts like the ****ens!
  • Scarlett_Belle
    Scarlett_Belle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    When TOM visits me I almost always crave carbs so I make sure I keep complex ones around so if I do crack (about half the time) and go 100-200 over then it's not really a big deal and while working out hard for me isn't a smart idea (all the pain meds I'm downing) I still get on the treadmill and walk easy for an hour or so.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I workout as usual but my appetite spikes for a few days. I usually can stay within my caloric goal, but don't always make the wisest choices of food..."hello snickers bar, I haven't seen you since last month."
  • fitkitty1
    Options
    I try to find alternatives for what I crave. Like if I want chocolate I will have chocolate almond milk, if I want popcorn I bake chick peas and season them with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, if I want a burger I have a salad extra lean ground beef on top and salsa and maybe some cheese!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Often we have cravings because of vitamin and mineral deficiencies, and during this time of the month, we may need more of something. For instance, chocolate is high in magnesium. Magnesium helps alleviate muscle soreness including soreness from cramps. What do most women crave at this time? (Chocolate)

Something that helped me was taking a magnesium supplement, especially right before, during, and after - my cramps disappeared.

Also, depending on what you are craving you might be missing other things too. Your body is doing more than it normally would and you are losing blood, which might mean more water consumption and iron and b vitamins. Also, you might need a slightly higher calorie count at this time (Not sure about this, but it would make sense that you are burning more). But only you can figure out what you need, so look at your symptoms and see what you are craving and see what's missing.

Also, exercise helps alleviate symptoms of PMS so as much as it sucks to workout at this time, working out helps.

Oh, and FYI, when I actually take the magnesium and don't forget my cravings for chocolate go away. There's nothing to fight because I am giving my body what it needs. And you don't have to do it through a supplement, you can do it through other foods.

But you just said that chocolate is high in magnesium. Why the hell would I bother with a supplement if it's already in the chocolate?
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I'm craving because I am seriously weak when it comes to food.

... but then I go and bust my butt at the gym. That actually helps with the PMS too.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    When TOM visits me I almost always crave carbs so I make sure I keep complex ones around so if I do crack (about half the time) and go 100-200 over then it's not really a big deal and while working out hard for me isn't a smart idea (all the pain meds I'm downing) I still get on the treadmill and walk easy for an hour or so.

If you're doing crack, then you have bigger problems to worry about besides menstruation. :laugh:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat what I crave, but in reasonable amounts.

Even though I'm on birth control and don't get the traditional withdrawal bleed, I still get cravings and very weepy/*****y depending on where you catch me in the cycle... and all that can change depending on what you feed me :)
  • chavaqacu
    Options
    I increase fat with avocados, coconut oil, raw nuts, protein with red meat, and let myself have a small serving of 72% dark chocolate every day. Especially upping the good fads, help with sugar/junk cravings.

This is what works for me.

Also keeping moving- a body in motion stays in motion, etc.- works well for cramps and bloating. If I find myself too tired to do the workout i want to do, I will at the very least do some brisk walking.
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    ITS SOOO DIFFICULT!! But mainly drinking tea with milk (18 cal) keeps the hunger down and actually I find sex relieves the cramping a lot, although I guess that depends on your partner as well..
  • jodilo88
    Options
    Honestly?

I take a heating pad to my lower belly and sit all day and eat as well as I can. Granted I do slip some dark chocolate in there or maybe a pinch of salt into something just to get the sweet/salty craving(s) [depending on which one] satisfied. And I am really only physically affected by cramps the first and MAYBE the second day of my period - everything else is thankfully pain free. :)