I gain at 1500 calories but lose at 1300-1400

Why does 100-200 calories make such a difference. At 1300 calories I lose 3 lbs a week. At 1500 I gain 3 lbs a week. Is my metabolism really that slow?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    You have normal weight fluctuation throughout the day, you need to put the number on the scale into perspective
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    You have normal weight fluctuation throughout the day, you need to put the number on the scale into perspective

This. You're probably looking at too small of a time frame to determine what's actually going on.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member

This. You're probably looking at too small of a time frame to determine what's actually going on.

I agree. If you only try something new or increase your calories for a week, you're not going to learn anything. In order to find your caloric "sweet spot," you need to give it at least a month.
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Yur not actually gaining or losing as much as you think based on that difference. It's scientifically impossible. It's either water, the time of day, your menstrual cycle, poor or incorrect logging of your intake, or a faulty scale.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    How long a period of time did you keep records in order to determine this? I just had a peak at your diary, and your calorie counts are all over the place.

I think you have to be pretty consistent with your calories for at least 3 weeks before you can make an accurate assessment of efficacy.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Why does 100-200 calories make such a difference. At 1300 calories I lose 3 lbs a week. At 1500 I gain 3 lbs a week. Is my metabolism really that slow?

I think you are calculating your calories wrong - either input or output or both. Those numbers can't be accurate.
  • Amyirene74
    Amyirene74 Posts: 63 Member
    I have noticed this before and quit cause I couldn't stick with the low calories. I am determined to lose though this time. I am keeping my calories between 1300-1400 and have lost 6 lbs in 15 days. Then I ate more for 2 days and gained a pound and a half. I am frustrated. I weigh at the same time every morning right after I go to the bathroom completely naked to make sure there isn't any outside influences on the weight. I am going to keep trying...
  • WendyTerry420

This too
  • WendyTerry420
    I have noticed this before and quit cause I couldn't stick with the low calories. I am determined to lose though this time. I am keeping my calories between 1300-1400 and have lost 6 lbs in 15 days. Then I ate more for 2 days and gained a pound and a half. I am frustrated. I weigh at the same time every morning right after I go to the bathroom completely naked to make sure there isn't any outside influences on the weight. I am going to keep trying...

You can't gain that much fat in two days. It's water causing the gain, not fat. Fat is gained and lost over a period of time, not in 2 days.
  • Amyirene74
    Amyirene74 Posts: 63 Member

I think you are calculating your calories wrong - either input or output or both. Those numbers can't be accurate.

Explain? I put absolutely everything I eat into the food diary on here. I think my food diary is public. Saturday was a fluke cause I had my once a year girls night out and went overboard but other than that I have been doing pretty good.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    I looked at your diary...for a number of days you were WAY over your calories?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    I am keeping my calories between 1300-1400 and have lost 6 lbs in 15 days. Then I ate more for 2 days and gained a pound and a half.

You can't do things this way. Your weight loss can fluctuate in a two day span for any number of reasons, it doesn't mean that you're not losing fat.

Think about a graph of the stock market. Even when it's going "up" or "down," when you put every data point on the graph, it fluctuates up and down despite the overall upward or downward trend. Weight loss works the same way. You can't look at a two-day data point and say "I've gained weight." Be consistent with a caloric intake and an activity level for 4-6 weeks, then determine if you need to make any changes.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    Your calories are all over the place. As such, there is no real data that can prove any sort of hypothesis like the one you are stating. You need a set of reliable data for an extended period of time to know for sure. You have to be consistent with the calories taken in for a longer period of time to really know what is going on.
  • WendyTerry420

Explain? I put absolutely everything I eat into the food diary on here. I think my food diary is public. Saturday was a fluke cause I had my once a year girls night out and went overboard but other than that I have been doing pretty good.

If you are losing weight at the rate of 3 pounds per week by eating 1300 calories, then your TDEE would be 2800 calories per day. If your TDEE were 2800 calories per day, then at 1500 calories per day, you would be losing 2.6 pounds a week.

But as the others have said, you must have reliable data over a period of time. A 200 calorie deficit would result in losing one pound after a consistent 17 day time period. Day-to-day or hour-by-hour fluctuations is simply water weight.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    3500 calories equals a pound. If you gained, it is either a)retention or b) you ate 3500 more calories than you burned.

Simple biology.
  • Samantha44145
    Samantha44145 Posts: 66 Member
    The only thing that I would add to the comments here is just that in looking at your diary over the last several days, not only are your calories all over the place but the quality of your food choices is not what you want for a healthy diet. I also did not see any exercise noted. Pizza, mozzarella sticks, meatloaf, Texas Toast, cheesecake are all calorie-dense and from a nutrition standpoint, completely inefficient in giving your body what it needs to thrive.

My suggestion: Fill your calorie goal with more efficient nutrition and exercise.
  • WendyTerry420
    The only thing that I would add to the comments here is just that in looking at your diary over the last several days, not only are your calories all over the place but the quality of your food choices is not what you want for a healthy diet. I also did not see any exercise noted. Pizza, mozzarella sticks, meatloaf, Texas Toast, cheesecake are all calorie-dense and from a nutrition standpoint, completely inefficient in giving your body what it needs to thrive.

My suggestion: Fill your calorie goal with more efficient nutrition and exercise.

Are you serious? Calorie-dense, sure, that's true, but there is nothing inherently wrong with any of those food choices. Each of those items can be enjoyed within the context of a well-balanced diet.
  • Samantha44145
    Samantha44145 Posts: 66 Member
    I am completely serious.

If you want a machine to run like a Bently you have to fuel it like one. That doesn't mean that you can splurge from time to time but you can't expect optimum performance on low-quality fuel.
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Try weighing yourself once a week instead of once a day...Things tend to level out over the course of the week, I've found. I know a ton of people weigh daily and it works well for them, but if you're feeling frustrated by the scale, then scale back (haha) on your weigh ins and see if that helps.
  • like_milk
    like_milk Posts: 79 Member
    You're not going to be losing/gaining like that, as people have already said.

I want to add one possible answer to the fluctuations that no one has dared to mention: poo.

(sorry, that was pretty crass, but I really am serious)