How big is a bowl?

Options
When I am tracking food, I usually weight things, so I know how many calories I am eating, but I struggle when I look for soups in the food database and it gives you so many calories for "1 bowl"
It confused me because I don't know if my soup bowls are too big or too small or average.
Does anybody roughly know how many ml an average soup bowl has?
thanks

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I had no idea there was a standard soup bowl size. But I'm curious to see if you get an answer that makes sense.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    There is no standard bowl size. If you are eating soup, I am assuming you either made it (use recipe calculator on MFP to figure out calories) or log it from what the back of the can says.
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Bowl of what.?
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Does your soup say a serving size? Like half the can, or an amount of ounces? A food scale might help.
  • sbeltramelli
    sbeltramelli Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It is homemade soup, I can't look in the can to see how many calories there is on it.
    I made a carrot and coriander soup, I checked in the food database to see how many calories it has, roughly.
    Well, it says "1 bowl" is about 100 calories, that is why I wondered if my kitchen soup bowls are standard.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I did a Google search and the most common answer was 8 oz = a cup of soup, and 12 oz = a bowl of soup. 1 oz = about 29.5 ml.
  • dardar98
    dardar98 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Most canned soups give you the calorie count by measurement. (ex- 1 cup = 110 calories) therefore all you have to do is measure.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    in general, if I come across an item in the database that says something arbitrary as the serving, I move along to an item that is more quantified or I enter it myself.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Bowl of what.?

As much as you can squeeze in there
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    use the recipie calculator
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    In the food service industry it varies. A cup is usually 8 fl. oz. But a bowl can be 12, 16 or 20 fl. oz. Best to find a more precise option in the database or measure it out.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I try to add the ingredients into the recipe calculator myself when someone has listed a non defined serving size. But I know that takes a lot of time and if I'm in a hurry, I just go with whatever seems closest in the database, or wait until I have time to do it.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    best thing to do - measure it out with a food scale
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe calculator. It will ask you how many servings your recipe makes, thus you will determine what "1 bowl" is.

Yup - use the calculator and just set the serving size to a measurement you know (like 1 cup - a measuring cup). Then you can adjust the number of cups in your diary to fit in with how many calories of that soup you want to eat.
  • Minnesota_Nice
    Minnesota_Nice Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get my hands in the toilet enough to measure...

Oh wait.. Sorry.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Bowl of what.?
    As much as you can squeeze in there
    cheech-and-chong.jpg
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Everything I make at home, I have a sheet of paper there with me and I track the calories I'm using for each item. When I'm done and before I serve any of it, I weigh out servings so that they are the same amount. I then divide the total calories in my recipe by how many servings. This can be a huge eye-opener, especially when it comes to using oil in recipes. I've learned that when cooking (other than baked goods), that I can usually cut the oil in half.

After I'm done, if we liked the recipe, then I'll add it all into the recipe database. If I happen to use different brands the next time, I'll modify the recipe I need to rather than add it all over again.