Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    ~500 cubic centimeters
  • Micheledo
    Micheledo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I figure its 8 oz. Just one cup. If you look on soup cans it is usually 2 serving and then divivde by total oz. Okay I think I put this on the wrong message board. I was answering how big is a bowl?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It is homemade soup, I can't look in the can to see how many calories there is on it.
    I made a carrot and coriander soup, I checked in the food database to see how many calories it has, roughly.
    Well, it says "1 bowl" is about 100 calories, that is why I wondered if my kitchen soup bowls are standard.

If it's in the database, does that mean the soup from an online recipe (e.g. Cooking Light or skinnytaste)? If so, I would think the recipe site should tell you what = 1 bowl.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I did a Google search and the most common answer was 8 oz = a cup of soup, and 12 oz = a bowl of soup. 1 oz = about 29.5 ml.

What is this "Google" you speak of?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I thought this was about the size of the toilet bowl

Because my fat *kitten* is so fat, that I have to remove the lid to make more room to sit :(
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Bowl of what.?
    As much as you can squeeze in there
    cheech-and-chong.jpg

ROFLMAO! I am not ashamed to say that when I saw the title of this thread, I was hoping someone would do this. Glad to know there are people on my wavelength :P
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Smaller than you think it is.

Like I haven't heard that before...
  • PottsvilleCurse1925
    PottsvilleCurse1925 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the radius and geometry of the bowl. Is it a hemisphere? 3/4 of a sphere? Depending on the radius and shape you can utlize three-dimensional calculus by integrating curve with respect to dx,dy, and dz. This should help you evaluate the volume of the bowl.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Smaller than you think it is.

Like I haven't heard that before...

*lick lick*
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that the best thing you can do is use the recipe calculator...this is what I do when I'm doing one of my own recipes. That said, I've taken to doing a lot of recipes from various websites and chefs where those recipes themselves are in the data base. I make a lot of soups and stews and a serving size generally tends to be anywhere from 1 cup to 1.5 cups. A serving size for me is almost always 2 cups so I adjust my calories accordingly.
  • sbeltramelli
    sbeltramelli Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the people who took this seriously and actually tried to help.
    I actually figured it out by calculating the calories of each ingredients and then meassured how many of my soup bowls i got
    x
  • sbeltramelli
    Options
    a
  • sbeltramelli
    Options
    a
  • wachmonster
    wachmonster Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I know this is way later, but did you come to the conclusion in general that a bowl is 12oz and a cup is 8?
    Thinking about this in general terms to avoid calculating calories every time
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It is homemade soup, I can't look in the can to see how many calories there is on it.
    I made a carrot and coriander soup, I checked in the food database to see how many calories it has, roughly.
    Well, it says "1 bowl" is about 100 calories, that is why I wondered if my kitchen soup bowls are standard.

You need to use the recipe builder...you're just choosing some random entry that was created by some other user...you have no clue whether or not that soup is remotely close to what you made...did they use more or less oil? Did they add this or that?

Don't use generic entries for homemade foods...use the recipe builder...doing what you're doing is just guessing...
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    ...and this is why a lot of struggle with calorie tracking.

OP - it's best to calculate (or use recipe tracker) to figure out the calories in all of the ingredients you've put into the soup. When the soup is done you can weigh how much you've made and figure out the calories per ounce.

The serving size can be whatever you want it to be and you can figure out the calories in your serving by multiplying the calories per ounce by the number of ounces of soup you've put into your bowl. Alternatively, you can figure out how much you should eat by defining what you want the total calories to be for the meal and dividing by the calories per ounce of the soup.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe calculator. It's the only way to know, and it's not a big deal. How do you know whoever made the database version didn't fill it with butter and cream or something? Or maybe you did and they didn't? I keep a notebook sized whiteboard in a kitchen drawer and jot down recipe ingredients on that, and then once things are cooking it goes in to the recipe builder. I'll then either eyeball my portion by percentage of the whole or if I'm using a pot that has markings in it can use those for cups or percentage. And yes I know cups aren't ideal but I'm doing fine and I am at a point where I don't need to be to the calorie.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread. Good information, but still a zombie
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    All depends on recipie, one can be watery veggy soupe, the other can be ery thick chili made of meat and beans with bunch of fat. So best, I think, enter in the reciepe calculator and then use amount of Grams in your portion
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread is zombie thread.