does protein powder help?

Options
I've noticed alot of people are using protein powder and was wondering if it helps alot. Also what is the best way to incorporate it into my diet?

Replies

• WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If you're having problems meeting your protein goals for the day, it could help you with that. It also helps with muscle recovery and protein keeps you full longer.

I usually have a shake after a good workout.
  • _TEMPEST_
    _TEMPEST_ Posts: 205
    Options
    ditto.

Helps your muscles recover, and lean muscle will burn fat more efficiently.
    Keeps you feeling full.

I love adding it to a smoothie after a workout, too.
    Ice, skim milk, fage yogurt, scoop of powder and a fresh fruit. Perfection.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Not really but it's definitely the latest fad adopted by the diet industry. If the meatheads at the gym are doing it then it must be a good thing to do, right?
  • olsondre
    olsondre Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Not really but it's definitely the latest fad adopted by the diet industry. If the meatheads at the gym are doing it then it must be a good thing to do, right?

Are you being serious?
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    If you take propper vitamins every day (including some that help repair muscle tissue etc) and incorporate real protein (poultry, fish, etc) into your meals (including right after your workout), i really dont see why you would need protein powder.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I've noticed alot of people are using protein powder and was wondering if it helps alot.

It helps if you need to supplement more protein in your diet. You could also just eat more protein (meats, eggs, etc) instead for the same effect.
    Also what is the best way to incorporate it into my diet?

Eating it or drinking it in a solution is generally recommended.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    If you're having problems meeting your protein goals for the day, it could help you with that. It also helps with muscle recovery and protein keeps you full longer.

I usually have a shake after a good workout.

likewise for me.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

Are you being serious?

^^THIS^^ Yes, it does help.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    A sufficient protein intake helps to spare lean mass. Protein powder is a cost-effective and convenient way to increase protein intake.
  • FierceFox81
    Options
    Protein helps with muscle recovery BIG TIME! The best time to get your protein is within 45mins of working out. I have a protein shake because this absorbs into my body fast then say have chicken. By the time the chicken is digested and broken down into my body it is to late for the muscle benefits. I'd recommend talking to a trainer / nutritionist at your gym :)
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Depends on your long term goals, if your building muscle it is the fastest way to provide protein for recovery. I usually have a shake in the morning (ice, water, scoop of choc protein powder and instant coffee, sometimes with cocoa if I want extra chocolate flavor) this is also helping me kick the coffee addiction (yes I realize it is because I am still taking in the coffee crystals, but am lowering the amount each day). I will usually do one after a hard workout too.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Protein helps with muscle recovery BIG TIME! The best time to get your protein is within 45mins of working out. I have a protein shake because this absorbs into my body fast then say have chicken. By the time the chicken is digested and broken down into my body it is to late for the muscle benefits. I'd recommend talking to a trainer / nutritionist at your gym :)

^^^THIS^^^
  • DopeItUp
    Options

This is a myth. That chicken you ate will take a while to digest and is constantly releasing protein into your body for several hours. There is no 45 minute window post-workout. It's more like 24 hours. Keep your protein intake high and you will be fine.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    If you take propper vitamins every day (including some that help repair muscle tissue etc) and incorporate real protein (poultry, fish, etc) into your meals (including right after your workout), i really dont see why you would need protein powder.

on a weightloss plan, I know I don't have enough calories in my allotment to eat enough protein!
  • DopeItUp
    Options

on a weightloss plan, I know I don't have enough calories in my allotment to eat enough protein!

That is extremely unlikely. What is your calorie goal and what is your protein goal? Let's assume 100g of protein, that's only 400 calories. Even if you're on an extremely restrictive 1200 calorie diet that's still only 1/3 of your intake.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I mainly use it to macro cheat...
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    A sufficient protein intake helps to spare lean mass. Protein powder is a cost-effective and convenient way to increase protein intake.

I just returned from doing some price comparisons at the local grocery store and at the GNC, and I couldn't justify the cost, so I guess what is "cost-effective" is different for everyone. I think I'm going to stay with eggs, skim milk, chicken, fish, etc (all of which I love) rather than paying through the nose for something I have to gag down. Protein powder may be marginally more effective, but hey, I'm not a professional athlete looking for that last 1% of performance.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I mainly use it to macro cheat...

i do exactly the same thing. It allows me to be a little less disciplined on what I am eating, and still keep my macros inline.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    rather than paying through the nose for something

protein gram for proteingram prices aren't bad at all.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

I just returned from doing some price comparisons at the local grocery store and at the GNC, and I couldn't justify the cost, so I guess what is "cost-effective" is different for everyone. I think I'm going to stay with eggs, skim milk, chicken, fish, etc (all of which I love) rather than paying through the nose for something I have to gag down. Protein powder may be marginally more effective, but hey, I'm not a professional athlete looking for that last 1% of performance.

Totally agree. Unless you are a super athlete guzzling protein shakes isn't necessary. Eat a well balanced diet and forget all the fads.