does protein powder help?

Options
2»

Replies

• nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    my protein shake has 96 calories, fat free milk 90ish calories. and sometimes i throw in a banana for like another 100 cals. i usually have for breakfast. from the research that ive done, seems like getting a proper amount of protein is good for muscle and weight loss.
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    A sufficient protein intake helps to spare lean mass. Protein powder is a cost-effective and convenient way to increase protein intake.

I just returned from doing some price comparisons at the local grocery store and at the GNC, and I couldn't justify the cost, so I guess what is "cost-effective" is different for everyone. I think I'm going to stay with eggs, skim milk, chicken, fish, etc (all of which I love) rather than paying through the nose for something I have to gag down. Protein powder may be marginally more effective, but hey, I'm not a professional athlete looking for that last 1% of performance.

What you are doing is by far the best route. I do have protein powder on hand to use as meal replacements when needed though. If you buy the stuff on sale and buy the right stuff, it is is a pretty cheap meal.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I just returned from doing some price comparisons at the local grocery store and at the GNC, and I couldn't justify the cost, so I guess what is "cost-effective" is different for everyone. I think I'm going to stay with eggs, skim milk, chicken, fish, etc (all of which I love) rather than paying through the nose for something I have to gag down. Protein powder may be marginally more effective, but hey, I'm not a professional athlete looking for that last 1% of performance.

GNC is a ripoff. Look at the price per gram of protein of a basic whey online vs. whole food sources.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    A sufficient protein intake helps to spare lean mass. Protein powder is a cost-effective and convenient way to increase protein intake.

^ That.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. Unless you are a super athlete guzzling protein shakes isn't necessary. Eat a well balanced diet and forget all the fads.

A "super athlete" doesn't need them either. They're simply one of many ways to increase protein intake.

And having a scoop or two of whey a few times per week isn't "guzzling."
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options

Totally agree. Unless you are a super athlete guzzling protein shakes isn't necessary. Eat a well balanced diet and forget all the fads.

The lack of education in this makes me frown.
  • Tilran
    Options
    If you take propper vitamins every day (including some that help repair muscle tissue etc) and incorporate real protein (poultry, fish, etc) into your meals (including right after your workout), i really dont see why you would need protein powder.

on a weightloss plan, I know I don't have enough calories in my allotment to eat enough protein!

That is extremely unlikely. What is your calorie goal and what is your protein goal? Let's assume 100g of protein, that's only 400 calories. Even if you're on an extremely restrictive 1200 calorie diet that's still only 1/3 of your intake.

You took 100g of required protein and multiplied that by 4 (amount of calories in 1g of protein) lol.

You show me a food she can eat that is made of pure protein.

Fact of the matter she is right...sometimes it is hard to fit in the required amount of protein into your day and still hit all macros. Protein powder helps supplement this.

Protein powder should not be ALL you are eating, but should be used as a supplement to hit your goal...especially when lifting.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you take propper vitamins every day (including some that help repair muscle tissue etc) and incorporate real protein (poultry, fish, etc) into your meals (including right after your workout), i really dont see why you would need protein powder.

on a weightloss plan, I know I don't have enough calories in my allotment to eat enough protein!

That is extremely unlikely. What is your calorie goal and what is your protein goal? Let's assume 100g of protein, that's only 400 calories. Even if you're on an extremely restrictive 1200 calorie diet that's still only 1/3 of your intake.

You took 100g of required protein and multiplied that by 4 (amount of calories in 1g of protein) lol.

Fact of the matter she is right...sometimes it is hard to fit in the required amount of protein into your day and still hit all macros. Protein powder helps supplement this.

Protein powder should not be ALL you are eating, but should be used as a supplement to hit your goal...especially when lifting.

You can get 98 or 99% fat free chicken, pork or turkey easily. It's pretty damn close to pure protein. Protein powders have extra macros in them too, they aren't 100% protein either. Even the best whey isolates will have marginal carbs and fats in them (usually .5-2g of each depending on the brand). Most typical powders will have more.

There's nothing wrong with protein supplements, I'm just saying that it should be easy to hit a goal of 100g protein on 1200+ calories. Hell, I supplement a couple times a week too usually (usually a bar as a snack).
  • Tilran
    Options

You can get 98 or 99% fat free chicken, pork or turkey easily. It's pretty damn close to pure protein. Protein powders have extra macros in them too, they aren't 100% protein either. Even the best whey isolates will have marginal carbs and fats in them (usually .5-2g of each depending on the brand). Most typical powders will have more.

There's nothing wrong with protein supplements, I'm just saying that it should be easy to hit a goal of 100g protein on 1200+ calories. Hell, I supplement a couple times a week too usually (usually a bar as a snack).

It is true that fatless chicken breast is mostly protein, but eating 100g of protein day in day out of just turkey or chicken is not really sustainable...people eat things like pasta, pizza, rice, cream based sauces....and the list goes on. This makes you unable to fit all your protein into your daily allowance at all times....this is where protein is needed.

I try to hit 140g of protein per day, but cant get there everyday because sometimes for lunch I'll have a sandwich or something else that puts my Macros out of whack...so I typically need a protein shake to put me back in line.

Again, I'm not promoting using powder only, I said it should be used as a supplement...not a sole source of protein.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I'm not totally against the idea of protein supplements, especially on lifting days. I was looking at whey protein isolate, not only because of its high protein density, but also because it has the lactose removed and I'm lactose intolerant. Does anyone have a good lead on reasonable prices for whey protein isolate.
  • DopeItUp
    Options

It is true that fatless chicken breast is mostly protein, but eating 100g of protein day in day out of just turkey or chicken is not really sustainable...people eat things like pasta, pizza, rice, cream based sauces....and the list goes on. This makes you unable to fit all your protein into your daily allowance at all times....this is where protein is needed.

I try to hit 140g of protein per day, but cant get there everyday because sometimes for lunch I'll have a sandwich or something else that puts my Macros out of whack...so I typically need a protein shake to put me back in line.

Again, I'm not promoting using powder only, I said it should be used as a supplement...not a sole source of protein.

No worries, we're on the same page.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options

^^^ Agree.

Protein is not a fad. And I don't think anyone who chooses to drink them 1-2 x per day should be faulted or accused of not having a "well balanced" diet. I currently lead a very busy lifestyle and the most effective thing for me is to keep a **well balanced** protein mix at work rather than cooking every night/morning or weekend for the week ahead.

However, there is that saying "to each his own", right?
  • DopeItUp
    Options

^^^ Agree.

Protein is not a fad. And I don't think anyone who chooses to drink them 1-2 x per day should be faulted or accused of not having a "well balanced" diet. I currently lead a very busy lifestyle and the most effective thing for me is to keep a **well balanced** protein mix at work rather than cooking every night/morning or weekend for the week ahead.

However, there is that saying "to each his own", right?

I think you are misunderstanding what is being said. To summarize their point, if you eat a balanced diet and get enough protein via whole foods, then protein shakes are not necessary. That's all. If you want to supplement your protein intake with some whey, then fine. They just aren't magical foods that somehow increase your performance or recovery or weight loss. They are protein supplements, nothing more.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    It is a good replacement for other quick food sources that are lower in protein (cereal, sandwiches, and other grab and go snacks). I add it into my diet so that I can enjoy some high carb foods from time to time, but still keep my macros in alignment with my goals.

I add a scoop into my oatmeal, so I don't have to cook a separate egg dish to get more protein at breakfast.

And if you are an athletic person, the extra protein will help with performance and recovery after an intense workout. High protein is most useful just before bed, as that is when the body will be using the protein for direct muscle recovery during sleep.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    It is a good replacement for other quick food sources that are lower in protein (cereal, sandwiches, and other grab and go snacks). I add it into my diet so that I can enjoy some high carb foods from time to time, but still keep my macros in alignment with my goals.

I add a scoop into my oatmeal, so I don't have to cook a separate egg dish to get more protein at breakfast.

And if you are an athletic person, the extra protein will help with performance and recovery after an intense workout. High protein is most useful just before bed, as that is when the body will be using the protein for direct muscle recovery during sleep.

Helpful post. :-)
  • borichfan
    borichfan Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    It does help, i add it to my shakes. It makes my shakes thicker & more filling plus it is good for muscles after a workout.